Which game is more overrated?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I thought aspects of HL2 were really good but overall I did not like HL2.

I played through once and just left it... I hate linear FPS's. I want a big map, realist ballistics, and good AI... I then I want to be able to complete the objectives any way that want to.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
HL2 easily. It gets a lot of basics wrong and fails to be even an average FPS in my book. As has been said earlier, the other games aren't out yet so it's difficult to pass judgment on them already, but I don't think any of them will compare to HL2 in this respect.

Bioshock is another contender for that list though. I haven't actually finished it yet but it seems to be only a reasonably good game that got uniform 10/10s everywhere for no reason.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: clamum
Originally posted by: flashbacck
Doom3?

I thought that was WAY more overrated for HL2.
I thought in general people thought Doom 3 sucked? I happen to think it's a great game, but IMO that's not that majority consensus.

I guess I was thinking of the first reviews that came out. The first few reviews I saw all gave it 10/10 and practically claimed it was the return of the messiah.

I see someone mentioned bioshock. I would vote for that. Bioshock had a good story and atmosphere, but the gameplay was really nothing special.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: CP5670
HL2 easily. It gets a lot of basics wrong and fails to be even an average FPS in my book. As has been said earlier, the other games aren't out yet so it's difficult to pass judgment on them already, but I don't think any of them will compare to HL2 in this respect.

It's interesting that you say that when many reviewers claim that HL2 is so good because it gets all the basics right. I'm surprised about all the hate for HL2 - it was never supposed to revolutionize anything or be incredibly new and different .. it was more of the same formula from HL1 on a new engine. HL2 is supposed to be a cinematic style story based FPS .. less FPS, more story. If you like run and guns then don't go for HL2, but I don't think that makes it overrated? For it's niche, it's perfect. I think it's easier to compare UT3/D3/Crysis/etc. to themselves rather than to include HL2 which is a slightly different style of game.

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: flashbacck

I see someone mentioned bioshock. I would vote for that. Bioshock had a good story and atmosphere, but the gameplay was really nothing special.

I agree. I am just on the second level (the wharf) and I am frustrated with the combat and the silly hacking already. The combat is just too 'clunky', for lack of a better word. The weapons are lousy and crosshairs are difficult to see at times against the background. it looks like a game heavily geared towards the console.

Is it worth playing on, because I doubt I'll play this much longer since it's simply not fun :( , although it runs very smoothly on my system on DX9 with everything turned up.

AlucardX

May 20, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
Quake Wars. Anything made by iD is pretty much over rated by default.

it's made by Splash Damage which uses a modified Doom3 engine which is made by iD.

its unfortunate people think ET:QW is overrated. If anything I think its underrated.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
It's interesting that you say that when many reviewers claim that HL2 is so good because it gets all the basics right. I'm surprised about all the hate for HL2 - it was never supposed to revolutionize anything or be incredibly new and different .. it was more of the same formula from HL1 on a new engine. HL2 is supposed to be a cinematic style story based FPS .. less FPS, more story. If you like run and guns then don't go for HL2, but I don't think that makes it overrated? For it's niche, it's perfect. I think it's easier to compare UT3/D3/Crysis/etc. to themselves rather than to include HL2 which is a slightly different style of game.

The thing is that the vast majority of the game is run and gun and not cinematic, and other games around its time did that aspect much better. I'll just quote myself from another thread on this last week:

I think the main problem with this game is that it got many of the basics wrong. It still holds the record for the worst level design I've seen since perhaps 2002. It's mind-numbingly linear and repetitive, and by and large, totally devoid of small details. Many of the levels look like they're taken straight out of the HL1 era. The plot was interesting in the first few levels and in a handful of cutscenes sprinkled throughout the game, but the remaining 90% of the game had almost no connection to the story and going through the levels elicited a feeling of pointlessness unlike anything else I've played in the last several years. The vehicles and character interaction (if you can even call it that) had already been done and done much better in previous FPS games, like Far Cry and Deus Ex.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Originally posted by: CP5670

The thing is, it did everything that HL1 did well and made it worse. HL1 had a more interesting story than HL2 did. The characters were one sided in HL2, and Gordon being mute did not help the situation. This didn't matter in HL1 because you weren't looking after a whiney girl and a scientist, you had to rescue your own ass from a catastrophe that you started. You actually felt that it was worth completing the story to figure out what happens to Freeman. HL2 started out interesting but completely fell apart with the story half way through the game, like Valve didn't know where to go with the story.

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
I said UT3 , they didn't pull a good game since the original UT, blaming cost and other things. I got 'em the first day and the multi player sucks if you don't have a clan they kick you out from the server.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Why put Crysis in there when it's not even released ?

Don't tell me a Demo serves as a review ?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
iD and Epic aren't interested in making games anymore. They want showcases for their engines.

iD hasn't been interested in making games since the Commander Keen days. Even the original Doom had some gameplay features cut in the name of beating other game developers to the punch engine-wise.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
wow, quakewars just took the lead. i thought it was a pretty solid game, and personally, don't think it has been subject to that much hype.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Quake wars over hyped? There was not a lot of hype to it. HL2 had more hype (ULTIMATE AI!!!!1!!). This forum bends over for valve.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Oyeve
QW is just boring imo, the orange box is also just more of the same.

More of the same Team Fortress from 1996 I guess? And more of the same Portal from... never? Errr. what? Out of ALL those games, how is Orange Box the one you consider "More of the same"