Which game have you played the most non-stop?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
Everquest the early days.. JBOOT line.. not that anybody cares.. in early EQ the J-Boots where highly prized item.. you camped the spawn.. every 7 (or was it 21) minutes she spawned or a placeholder.. so you waited in a group.. everybody joined and you where in line, you all fried the placeholder or her when she popped... then (it gets better) she had several things she dropped randomly, the J-Boots being the least.. so you waited till she randomly popped, then it was like 20% chance she dropped boots. so when you got in line (i was 6th first and last time I did it) if they dropped, 1st in line got um, you moved up one.. I started sat morning at 6AM, 6th in line, Monday at 6am (48 hours) i was #5.. she dropped them 1 fooging TIME!!!!!! in 48 hours. In those days if you left the line you started over.. but unlike today, people did respect the line and not Ninja and KS.. one upside to the early days of gaming..

No after 48 hours I vowed to never do something that stupid again.. and almost didnt.. 163 Baron runs for that damn undead horse.. never dropped once!!!! at least i never did more then 6-8 hours at time since..and when i read that.. that even seems way to much

Heh I remember in oasis when we ported there and my wizard friend (I was a wizard too) spotted the giant that spawns there and killed it. Everyone in the zone was calling it BS on him. At the time I had no clue jboots dropped from that giant. He told me to loot them and and it changed my life as a wizard as I was able to quad kite after that. I never had to camp for mine.

quakeworld

Aug 5, 2009
Doom DM (DWANGO) - 48 hours straight (no food or bathroom breaks)
Duke Nukem 3D dukematch (Kali)- approximately 36 hours (user made maps were awesome)
Quakeworld - approximately 36 hours straight. still remember the map i played.. death32c (combination of dm4, dm2 and dm6) with 64 players.. ping would be between 300ms to 400ms..
Lunar on Sega CD - 2 days straight. rented the game from blockbuster and beat it before returning it.
Street Fighter 2 on SNES - a little over 24 hours. would play the game until i got all the moves down for all 8 characters perfect (especially 'giefs combos leading to his spinning pile driver)

42 years old now and can't have non-stop sessions anymore. longest i can play these days in one sitting would be between 3 - 5 hours.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Doom DM (DWANGO) - 48 hours straight (no food or bathroom breaks)
Duke Nukem 3D dukematch (Kali)- approximately 36 hours (user made maps were awesome)
Quakeworld - approximately 36 hours straight. still remember the map i played.. death32c (combination of dm4, dm2 and dm6) with 64 players.. ping would be between 300ms to 400ms..
Lunar on Sega CD - 2 days straight. rented the game from blockbuster and beat it before returning it.
Street Fighter 2 on SNES - a little over 24 hours. would play the game until i got all the moves down for all 8 characters perfect (especially 'giefs combos leading to his spinning pile driver)

42 years old now and can't have non-stop sessions anymore. longest i can play these days in one sitting would be between 3 - 5 hours.

I have decided not to ask how you did 48 hours without a bathroom break.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I have decided not to ask how you did 48 hours without a bathroom break.

NASA uses MAG's, or Maximum Absorbency Garments. Diapers! :)

This topic's kinda tough for me, I've dumped huge hours into games but never really without stopping for food...etc. The only time I can remember not taking any breaks was actually somewhat recently though - I bought Defense Grid: The Awakening on Steam back in I want to say 2009, it was heavily discounted and it was 11pm on a Friday night and I'd just gotten home so I figured why not... I launched the game despite being pretty sleepy, I wanted to know whether I'd just thrown away $5 on this purchase. Having never played a tower defense game before I wasn't prepared for what lied ahead. :) The next thing I know it's 3AM and I'm still not even thinking about going to sleep. I kept going until I think 5:30AM so that's a solid six+ hours straight without any breaks, which according to this thread makes me a light-weight.

That's kind of it though as far as non-stop playing. When I was a kid I would have gladly played Final Fantasy 2, FF4, Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger all day long if not for my mother's rule of only being able to play video games for no more than 2 hours at a time before I'd have to come back out and join the rest of the family. I hated that rule but in hindsight can't thank mom enough for looking out for me. :)

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Guild Wars 2 in all this, it's my first MMO and a game that I still haven't been able to put down for nine months straight now. It's not the type of game that I've caught myself skipping meals or sleep for, but if I look at just the total number of hours invested then this game is definitely my all-time most played game and it isn't close.

Last edited:

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Guild Wars 2 in all this, it's my first MMO and a game that I still haven't been able to put down for nine months straight now. It's not the type of game that I've caught myself skipping meals or sleep for, but if I look at just the total number of hours invested then this game is definitely my all-time most played game and it isn't close.

I have GW2, but I can't find myself playing it for long. There's nothing overly wrong with the game. The combat is fluid and actually pays attention to hit boxes. The world is beautiful. The races and backstory is interesting. The soundtrack is awesome. But I can't find myself playing for longer than an hour at a time before just putting it down in boredom.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - campaigns, single scenarios, hot seat...more than regularly WoW and I've played WoW for a couple of years...

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
For me it was skyrim. With mods its gorgeou, & the amount of things to do just totally sucks u in!!! Madness! I deleted from my comp last week cause for 3 weeks i was playing it constantly & it was interfering with my work & social life!!! After 73 hours in 3 weeks i only finished 30% of it!! Had to cut it off....

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
myst for the first game i played 12 hours or more. it was the first pc game i got way back in the early 90s and i had more than a few all nighters playing it.

wow for the game i played the most at once. probably been a time or two i played for 24 hours with just a 'bio-break' here or there.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
There was only one time when I truely played a game for many hours non-stop. It was one christmas I played copper mud (around 1991-1992) for something like 35 hours (with a few short visits to the vending machine). I eventually fell asleep. By todays standard copper mud is/was very primitive but back then it was my first real exposure to (a) rpg game beyond nethack and (b) mmo (though it really wasn't massive so maybe tmo ?) and it was a lot of fun!
-
These days I rarely get excited enough about a game to play more than a few hours non-stop and most of the time I'm only 1/2 paying attention while I web-browse in another window. I guess a big part of it is that few games in the past 3 or 4 years have been interesting (or more precisely I found few games to be interesting). The last really fun game I played (in recent times) was one of (not sure which was last) witcher 2, DKS or darksiders. The last game I played nearly all night (which was a mistake because I had work the next day) was king bounty legend demo back in 2009. Man it had great music.
-
This year I've played tomb raider and crysis 3 (of the two I prefer crysis 3) but to be honest they were both just so so with regards to holding attention. I have bioshock (from a video card upgrade) and will play it as soon as a finish DD (and old game but I wanted to replay it before D:OS comes out in november). There are some interesting games later this year (or early next year) but it remains to be seen if any of them will actually be captivate. I'm not actually expecting that much from shadowrun but I have hopes for project eternity and D:OS and I suppose there is a chance that dragon commander will surprise me (they usually have pretty good music) as well as AOW3. Hum.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Longest at a stretch was a little over 26 hours (1 bathroom break) playing Wolfenstein 3D on a 386DX-40. That was a "few" years ago. ;)

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy VII
Secret of Mana
Doom II
Age of Empires: RoR
Half Life 2
Twisted Metal 2

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
Oh man, the twisted metal series was so fun. I still remember driving on top of Paris rooftops and blowing up the Eiffel Tower. Not sure which TM it was, but man was that a great game.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
According to my steam between Medieval 2: Total War, Empire: Total War, Napoleon: Total War, Rome: Total War and Shogun 2: Total War I'm at over 1500 hours for those 5 games.

I've got 500+ hours on TF2 although I don't play it anymore.

Civ 5 I've put in 250 hours as well.

When I was I kid I played C&C series, Starcraft, TF 1, and Counter Strike almost endlessly.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I have family members thats witnessed 24+ hours of Doom, only pausing to get a Coke or go to the bathroom. Quake Lan parties that lasted a good 48 hours, only stopping to eat and smoke. My eyes can't handle it now though...at around the 6-8 hour mark, I start to get nausea. Not to mention that any intense game right before bed will have me dreaming about it all night, so I wake up totally exhausted.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Age of Empires 1.

I would start at about 9PM, after my parents slept, and play till about 5AM, just before they'd wake up. I was in 5th/6th grade at the time, so I didn't have the actual game....it was the trial version of the game. I'd wake up around 10-11AM or so on Saturday hehe.

Yup i was that obsessed with the trial version of a game :) I ended up getting AOE1, and playing it just as long.

I did this for a couple of years.

Eventually I found out my parents knew all along, and they decided that so as long my normal life didn't suffer, I did well in school and I was involved in other extracurricular, they didn't mind that much.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I played Everquest for 24 hours straight (or maybe a little longer), without sleeping (but of course eating and going to the bathroom), at least a couple times back when I was really into it.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Modern Warfare and Rome Total War. If you add the expansion packs of Rome TW it likely took about 3-4 years of my life.