Which FPS should i buy?

mealsonwheels

Apr 10, 2006
I've been wanting to buy a new game lately but i cant decide which one. Currently i have BF2 which is a lot of fun but i want to try something new. I only play multiplayer, i dont even bother with the single player. I was a big fan of CS/TFC but never got into the Unreal tournaments or COD series. Only post advice if you have actually played the game, not from what you have read.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
For Multi-Player, get UT3.

For Single-Player, get Crysis.

Apr 17, 2005
enemy territory: quake wars and soldier of fortune payback are also two titles you should consider. personally i'm really looking forward to SoF

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
if you were a big fan of TFC then you'd probably like TF2 more than the other choices.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: mealsonwheels
I've been wanting to buy a new game lately but i cant decide which one. Currently i have BF2 which is a lot of fun but i want to try something new. I only play multiplayer, i dont even bother with the single player. I was a big fan of CS/TFC but never got into the Unreal tournaments or COD series. Only post advice if you have actually played the game, not from what you have read.

If you liked the original CS and TFC then you should probably just go with TF2 as long as fans of the original like TF2. Do some research on that. I've never played any of the Counterstrike games, though I am intrigued by its continuing popularity.

The UT games are definitely worth exploring. You might want to first try the Original UT99 (which won many Game of the Year awards), which you can find on eBay. You can also purchase it along with UT 2004 in the Unreal Anthology (it's at GoGamer, I think). Of course, you should also try the UT3 beta demo (which is very unpolished).

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
What is your system like? I wouldnt necessarily recommend Crysis if you have an older comp. TF2 is good, UT3 is ok, getting long in the tooth tho IMO...

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
TF2!!!!!!!!!! This is the best game I have played in years!

UT3 and Quake Wars are crap IMO. Crysis MP was just ok. I have not tried COD4 yet.

However, if you like BF2, which you apparently do, you will probably like Quake Wars as it feels quite similar.

KT

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
Quake Wars sucks the big one, I'm afraid, especially if you're a BF2 fan. I'd go TF2 all the way. I'm loving it.

mealsonwheels

Apr 10, 2006
My computer is decent, its a E6300 @ 512x7, 2 gigs of ram, 7800GT. Overall, I think I'm leaning towards TF2; i just don't like the cartoon graphics.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
I JUSt bought COD4 so i will tellyou what I think tonight. I also have orange box, but cs:s is what I mainly play, TF2 is really fun though even if i suck at it.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
My computer is decent, its a E6300 @ 512x7, 2 gigs of ram, 7800GT. Overall, I think I'm leaning towards TF2; i just don't like the cartoon graphics.

It's still a blast even with the somewhat cartoonish graphics.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Canai

It's still a blast even with the somewhat cartoonish graphics.

somewhat? LOL Its like im stuck in looney tunes but when you get hit with a nade you blow up guts

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
CoD4's single player is absolutely amazing, although short. Each mission can be played at least 5 times with all the different paths you can take. Haven't played the mp yet, though.

mode101wpb

Aug 16, 2005
COD 4 looks like it has some fun moments, like the Javelin and the AC-130. A lot of people saying it's too short. I only played the demo and something was missing for me, just too arcade. Millions of bullets flying, AI was repetitive, environments were not destructible, helicopters were too quiet and much like the airplanes in COD 2 were unrealistic in flight.

I'm waiting to see how decent SOF3 is, might not be any better. Crysis demo was okay but failed to meet the hype yet, Far Cry 2 looks like a toss up being that Crytek won't be involved.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Originally posted by: Maleficus
UT3 is pathetic.

All that vitriol from just the demo eh? What did you think of UT04?

2k4 was/is the pinnacle of competitive FPS play, the only thing that can compete with it is Q3 which I just personally didn't like the feel of, not a fault of the game though. I can make an argument as to why 2k4 is superior but they are comparable.

I could speak on this subject at great lengths actually, so yea. I love(d) 2k4.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
2k4 sucks ass.

UT3 is better, but not by a whole lot. SoF2 is the pinnacle of MP.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
nice troll post, you went too far though, no one would ever believe anyone thinks SoF2 is the pinnacle of MP gaming