Which file to rip?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
As I continue to rip my video library I'm always trying to find ways to make it better... But I'm confused. (This is nothing new.)

Typical rip is with AnyDVD HD and Handbrake to M4V. When you pull up the contents of a typical BD, for example, there can be multiple instances of the same movie... which is which, or does it matter? I've ripped all of them, gone through them, and haven't noticed any difference... the file sizes are the same, too.

In this example, Band of Brothers Disk 4, which contains 2 episodes. I understand the rest of the short-time stuff is fillers and preview, but each episode shows up 4 times...? What am I seeing?

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Could be playlist obfuscation; a form of copy protection that is supposed to discourage you from doing exactly what you are doing.

There are two ways around it:

1) Purchase AnyDVDHD and Cyberlink PowerDVD. Turn on the SpeedMenu feature of AnyDVDHD and when you put it in your PC and play it through PowerDVD it will give you the correct playlists.

2) Google search for Band of Brothers Correct Playlist and cross your fingers

edit: NVM, after looking at your screenshot, it's not obfuscation. I would just load it up and check the length when I play it back on a DVD or BD Player. No need to get more complicated than that.

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
edit: NVM, after looking at your screenshot, it's not obfuscation. I would just load it up and check the length when I play it back on a DVD or BD Player. No need to get more complicated than that.

No, and I know what you are talking about. I've had disks where the main title is broken up into 3 or 4 segments and won't rip correctly.

The other full length ones probably have signage in different languages.

Kind of what I was thinking, but, as I say, they all play the same. I don't really understand the whole BD format (and it's multi-layer attributes, etc) but just assumed it was format, language, or feature (director's cut, etc) versions that would have to be selected in the menu, but the file size would be bigger I would think.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I never used AnyDVD, I use other software, but face similar scenario. I choose the title with the smallest number and the length that matched the runtime looked up in imdb or similar site. The software i use also gived me option to choose the audio track, and subtitle and even cover... so I choose all the desired option and then save as MKV

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I never used AnyDVD, I use other software, but face similar scenario. I choose the title with the smallest number and the length that matched the runtime looked up in imdb or similar site. The software i use also gived me option to choose the audio track, and subtitle and even cover... so I choose all the desired option and then save as MKV

AnyDVD just breaks the disk protection, I use Handbrake to transcode to .M4v. Handbrake is pretty versatile...

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I know, I use Handbreak too, I just do not compress, I like uncompressed MKV :) Can M4V hold multiple audio and subtitle stream too? IMHO with the low cost of storage, there is no reason compress...

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I know, I use Handbreak too, I just do not compress, I like uncompressed MKV :) Can M4V hold multiple audio and subtitle stream too? IMHO with the low cost of storage, there is no reason compress...

It can, yes.

My main storage drive is 5TB... and it has 3.9TB on it already... I can't imagine what I'd need if it wasn't compressed.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
It can, yes.

My main storage drive is 5TB... and it has 3.9TB on it already... I can't imagine what I'd need if it wasn't compressed.

LOL, I have 4 4TB, 1 1TB, 1 2TB and 2 500GB (and 2 SSD, 1 running Windows and 1 Linux). PC has two PCIx SATA Cards, 4 ports each and I have two of these/similar HDD switches

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
i use dvd decrypter and never had an issue with copy protection.

or dvd shrink and rip the movie off then render with handbrake.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
yeah, I dont think any ripping these days had problem with encryption, its a thing of the past.

Curious, Charlie98, what encryption settings you use? what file size you get % wise, like a 25GB file is compressed to what? Also, have you tried H.265?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
yeah, I dont think any ripping these days had problem with encryption, its a thing of the past.

Curious, Charlie98, what encryption settings you use? what file size you get % wise, like a 25GB file is compressed to what? Also, have you tried H.265?

I'm waiting to get a GTX950/960 before I start ripping in h.265, but, yes, I will be.

I don't know the compression ratio (vs an uncompressed file) but I have a few elevated quality features. A typical 2 hour movie will average 1-2GB, a BD will be anywhere from 2GB to 25GB... it just depends.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Kind of what I was thinking, but, as I say, they all play the same.

It isn't something you can easily see. Some of those parts are only 13 seconds long.

What happens is that many Blu Rays are the same disk for the USA that they are for Europe, as many major distributors put out region free discs. So take for example a movie where one shot for 10 seconds has something like a road sign that the characters use for guidance. Instead of having like five full muxes with English, French, Spanish, etc road signs all for that 10 second spot (would take up too much space) instead the content is broken into the time before that 10 seconds, versions the 10 second spot (one for each language), and the time after that 10 seconds. The French, Spanish, etc. versions just switch out a different 10 second part. This is VERY common, and in something like a Pixar movie I have seen have a dozen of such moments.

What I normally do rip off real quick the shortest piece, which is basically that 13 second piece, and I see where it is in the movie. Then I pick one of the full muxes to rip out, and once that is done I run to that spot to make sure the sign or whatever is in English. If so that means I have the English rip (for ALL of the spots like that) so it goes on the server and I move on. If not I rip off another full mux and check the spot again until I get the english rip.

Last edited:

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
It absolutely does matter in many cases. Sometimes it's just the same movies in different "real" or official forms, but others I think it's often a backup form of copy protection to have the movie present itself as hundreds of similar titles that are really the same movie with scenes is various random orders. I guess the point would be that if they can't keep you from breaking the encryption they can at least keep you from getting a good copy of the movie without a lot of trial and error. It would work if there were no internet. :p Anytime I'm questioning which title it is I usually can find an answer in a couple of minutes of googling. I think I've seen this most often in Disney movies.