Which electronics/computer component vendor(s) will you never buy from again and why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
OCZ

Oh wait, I never bought from that company in the first place.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Epson.

The straw that broke the camel's back on that one was when one of my color cartridges ran out and the printer refused to print in black and white until I replaced their color cartridge. F that.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
I am prepping a new build and just got burned by a vendor (price mistake). They took my personal info (including CC) and sent me the "We made a mistake, screw you, you're OOL" email. Like other companies, these vendors are focused on their bottom lines, so much so that they treat their "customers" really badly.

For me my rogues gallery of bad vendors includes:

OfficeMax - price mistake a few years ago - will not buy from again
NCIX - Price mistake, sent me terrible email explanation, lost my business forever
CarID - Sells parts they do not have in-stock, then tries to get you to buy alternate, more expensive parts

Would be interested in seeing yours ...

was it a titan x?

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Hands down, PC Richards.

Their sales people are dirt bags. And, they have NO reservations whatsoever over ripping customers off.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
MSI 2007 I dealt with them a ton! I had three barebone laptops from them and two computers including mine using their motherboards, all of them died and had to be RMA'ed some multiple times. I wasted so much of my time calling techsupport that they knew who I was...I had to speak to a guy named Vincent who helped me out but I had too much issues with their hardware, I also RMA'ed abad board and got the same board back with a sticker on the serial number.. so I don't buy from them any more..

OCZ, I bought a vertex 60gb (120 bucks) it died and then read on the whole debacle where they used different nm of memory which performed slower but still sold the drive with the same model number to the dot, the best part was they wanted more money for the drive you thought you were buying which is ridiculous. I learned then not to look at performance only but to search "Dead" if I had done that I would have never gotten the drive.

Thankfully Amazon allowed me to return the drive 2 days after the return window closed.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Sorry, you're wrong. That situation was 100% within your company's control. Your company controlled the fleet inventory and your company made a commitment to the waiting customer. Your company made commitments without backing them up in inventory. The customer is right to be pissed. People rent cars on a time sensitive basis and make reservations for a reason. No, they shouldn't scream but they have good reason to do so.

100% Agree. When I make a reservation, onus is on the company to keep the reservation.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Working at the car rental lot was an eye opener to me. It was a good day when we could get through out 10.5 hour shift without a childish customer making a scene. Was always over something stupid too that would take 5 minutes tops to fix. The worst situations were when the problem was completely out of our control. Such as someone who was late returning a vehicle and didn't bother notifying us. This was a huge problem on Saturday mornings when everybody rents moving trucks. So there's someone screaming at you because they have the elevator booked at they need that truck NOW come hell or high water. Got so bad we had to start charging full price for every hour trucks were late just to put the fear of god into people.

After dealing with that, I'm super nice to store staff now. It's not an easy job, especially for the low pay.

Surprising how many consider such positions as easy as they come.

Mar 11, 2004
I've never understood the "I'm never buying ____ again!" mentality especially since far far more often than not its over stupid shit. A single product goes bad and people write off the entire company. What's even more stupid is I've seen people pull that, and then choose to stick with brands that they have even more problems with.

Antec honestly.

I have a 500w power supply that puts out like 11.6v on the 12v and similiar for all the voltage rails.

My fans barely get going. Everything is running underspec for years. Sometimes the graphics card can't get going. 500w would be plenty for the system. Its an HD4850 (270-330w) and Core2Duo. (65w)

Talking like... abysmal voltages even at idle.

Did you contact them about getting it replaced? You act like its ridiculous that there might be a bad power supply produced, if it was that far off you should have been contacting them about getting it replaced.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Razer.

I know it was probably just bad luck but I had 3 keyboards in a row that all broke within weeks of owning them. Any company who's QC is that crap isn't getting any more of my money.

Mar 10, 2005
razer - they were the bomb when they were new, but after they made their name it's been nothing but garbage.

apple - i have an ipod nano for the car which is ok, and an iphone 6. the phone is an impressive piece of hardware, but i'm locked in to only doing what apple wants, apple's way. and itunes is crap. for my next phone i'm going back to android.

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
Omni Consumer Products. -- I bought one of their ED-209s and it was nothing but trouble.

Epson -- Might be a problem with all ink-jets, the heads kept drying up and clogging. I'm a happy Brother laser fan now.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Epson.

The straw that broke the camel's back on that one was when one of my color cartridges ran out and the printer refused to print in black and white until I replaced their color cartridge. F that.
same for me but hp.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Razer, though only based on one experience. I bought a set of headphones that either promptly broke or were missing a piece. They basically told me to go pound sand. Logitech has always been a pleasure to work with; their loss.

OCZ - I've only purchased a few of their products, but a good percentage of them were broken or defective. No thanks.

Any PAID piece of software that comes with unreasonable bloatware, bundled junk, or adware. If I'm buying your software, I want just that software. Don't try to sneak other crap in.