Question Which cpu should I go with?

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
So I have a real old system, a i5 3570k, 16 GB ram, 980TI, play @ 1440P, might eventually upgrade to 4K later but I love my current monitor.

my cpu is definitely bottlenecking my 980TI in many games, specifically those that uses lots of threads like Battlefield 5. I am a huge BF fan, and really looking forward to next Battlefield.

I know alder lake is coming out soon, but I just got lucky and got my hands on a 3080TI from EVGA paying MSRP price. directly from EVGA

I would like to upgrade my cpu/ram/mobo, already upgraded Powersupply to 1000 Watts. I just don't know what chip to go with? I do have microcenter locally and I know I can get some decent prices. I was looking at I9-10850k, or I7-10700k. I heard 11th gen not much of an upgrade.

Or do I go AMD but which AMD? I heard high end AMD chips very hard to find. I prefer gigabyte boards, have always used that in my builds and been rock solid for me.

Any suggestions? What CPU really is best for 3080TI so it won't be a bottleneck?

• Love
Reactions: blckgrffn

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
If you aren't hard set on Intel, then go with AMD. The 5800X at the minimum. From what I've seen, all the single CCD AMD CPUs (5800X and under) are pretty readily available at MSRP. If you are just considering performance, the 11th gen Intel is on par with AMD's 5000 CPUs. But AMD's CPU go to higher core counts if you need them (Intel caps out at 8) and are much more power efficient. Intel's 11th gen desktop CPUs are still 14nm. The Aorus Master is a highly regarded Gigabyte board. Definitely go with a 1000W PSU for a 3080Ti.

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
If you aren't hard set on Intel, then go with AMD. The 5800X at the minimum. From what I've seen, all the single CCD AMD CPUs (5800X and under) are pretty readily available at MSRP. If you are just considering performance, the 11th gen Intel is on par with AMD's 5000 CPUs. But AMD's CPU go to higher core counts if you need them (Intel caps out at 8) and are much more power efficient. Intel's 11th gen desktop CPUs are still 14nm. The Aorus Master is a highly regarded Gigabyte board. Definitely go with a 1000W PSU for a 3080Ti.

Which 5800x? The one I looked at had same cores

This says 8 cores + 16 threads, isnt that the same as I7-10700k, and the I9-10850K has 2 more cores then that? Those were the 2 main CPU i was looking at

Also at microcenter the i9-10850k is $319 , while the I7-10700k is $269, where the AMD this chip is $369. Not huge differences but just curious if it really worth getting over these two?

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
Which 5800x? The one I looked at had same cores

That is the 5800X I am talking about.

This says 8 cores + 16 threads, isnt that the same as I7-10700k, and the I9-10850K has 2 more cores then that? Those were the 2 main CPU i was looking at

Also at microcenter the i9-10850k is $319 , while the I7-10700k is $269, where the AMD this chip is $369. Not huge differences but just curious if it really worth getting over these two?

Those CPUs aren't Intel's latest and greatest. The 10th gen Intel CPUs are slower, way more power hungry, and way hotter than AMD's 5000 CPUs. Whereas the 11th gen are sometimes on par with AMD, but still way more power hungry, and way hotter. Having more cores does not necessarily mean more real world performance. Unless you have a workload that requires more than 8 cores/16 threads (video editing, 3D rendering, 1 PC streaming, etc.), I don't generally recommend more than 8 cores.

Here is Anandtech's review of Zen 3 (Ryzen 5000) when it launched. If you click through all the gaming pages you will see that Ryzen 5000 commands a sizeable lead against Intel's 10000 CPUs. In production workloads Ryzen, at worst, ties Intel 10th gen. And AMD usually beats Intel 10th gen. Sometimes with fewer cores.

Here is Anandtech's Intel 11th gen review. Again, AMD still leads Intel in most workloads.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You can't go wrong with 10 core 10th gen or the 5800x; buy what you want. And gaming won't make the Intel go nuclear reactor the way a thread heavy productivity workflow can. All the listed CPUs like great cooling to sustain max boost clocks so even that should not sway you one way or the other.

And seeing as you are only now replacing a quad core Ivy, they will all be jaw dropping upgrades for you.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
You can't go wrong with 10 core 10th gen or the 5800x; buy what you want. And gaming won't make the Intel go nuclear reactor the way a thread heavy productivity workflow can. All the listed CPUs like great cooling to sustain max boost clocks so even that should not sway you one way or the other.

And seeing as you are only now replacing a quad core Ivy, they will all be jaw dropping upgrades for you.

Truth.

The AMD way has a path towards 16C/32T in the future, the 10850k is a PCIe 3 dead end.

But if you never upgrade CPU's (most don't) don't upgrade boot drives (again, probably most don't) then that's a moot point.

I've built with a 10850k and Gigabyte Z490 and it was a super solid, very fast (subjectively) combo. Not sure I would do it again today, but it would still be extremely viable.

Carpe Diem. Get it done and enjoy it!

And... consider selling the 980Ti ($200+ easy right now if you move on it) and splurging on the 12 core AMD CPU is my parting thought. Then you never have to wonder about 10C vs 8C and you'll have a CPU, IMO, that actually matches your GPU investment.

(spoken as a guy who bought a used 5800x to go with his $1050 6800 :D )

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
Thanks guys! I think the only reason I am going with the intel is it cheaper at microcenter $319.99, and with gigabyte z590 aurous elite $209, you get a $20 savings on top of it. I think that cpu/mobo should work. I think if I was using this for anything but gaming the AMD would probably be the better choice possibly.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Thanks guys! I think the only reason I am going with the intel is it cheaper at microcenter $319.99, and with gigabyte z590 aurous elite $209, you get a $20 savings on top of it. I think that cpu/mobo should work. I think if I was using this for anything but gaming the AMD would probably be the better choice possibly.

Consider a legit air cooler to go with that guy:

Something like that should allow for nice clocks while being pretty quiet. I don't think spending more would net you that much.

That CPU should have a cooler capable of a minimum of ~120W to get best performance.

My value pick. Lots of cooler for $20. Put a second 120mm fan on it, comes with the brackets in the box. Enjoy!

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Oh i was going to use this cooler? Will this work better? or am I overspending? I have a very large case a Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case

Noctua NH-D15S

That's an amazing cooler, imo. Overspending? Hard to say. If you really want Noctua I can't argue with that at all :)

But when it comes to performance against the $60 one I am unsure if real world usage will reveal any advantages to the $30 spent. Use that to buy snazzier ram or something :D

Reactions: kongfranon

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
That's an amazing cooler, imo. Overspending? Hard to say. If you really want Noctua I can't argue with that at all :)

But when it comes to performance against the $60 one I am unsure if real world usage will reveal any advantages to the $30 spent. Use that to buy snazzier ram or something :D

My two main reasons for getting this, it a little smaller then the original noctua DH 15 and easier to install then original, and still works almost as good as original. Also I heard these high end chips run really hot whether Intel or AMD and if not going water cooling, I want to get the best air cooler that isn't super hard to install.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
My two main reasons for getting this, it a little smaller then the original noctua DH 15 and easier to install then original, and still works almost as good as original. Also I heard these high end chips run really hot whether Intel or AMD and if not going water cooling, I want to get the best air cooler that isn't super hard to install.

It's a super solid choice.

It appears to mildly out perform the Fuma 2 with a little more noise as well.

Of course it is on the charts (the Noctua) because it is the industry benchmark.

Enjoy!

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have a very large case a Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
I have one of my builds in it; nothing could touch it for value and conservative looks when I bought it. Excellent cooling too.

The Fuma 2 is hard to not like, particularly at its price point.

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
One last question going to get 32 GB Ram, and get 2x16 GB sticks, how much of a difference for DDR3200 vs DDR3600? Is it noticeable in games at all? Or I would be wasting money paying $50 more for DDR3600

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
One last question going to get 32 GB Ram, and get 2x16 GB sticks, how much of a difference for DDR3200 vs DDR3600? Is it noticeable in games at all? Or I would be wasting money paying $50 more for DDR3600

On Intel I would probably just save my money and get good 3200 memory. People have posted some graphs here before, pulling from memory there is an increase in performance still but diminishing returns.

I guess it matters how much that $50 matters to you, but I would pass on it like you chose the 10850k vs the 10900k.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
On Intel I would probably just save my money and get good 3200 memory. People have posted some graphs here before, pulling from memory there is an increase in performance still but diminishing returns.

I guess it matters how much that $50 matters to you, but I would pass on it like you chose the 10850k vs the 10900k.

I recently (April 2021) upgraded from a 4790K. When I built it, I bought the tightest timings ram I could find. It was guaranteed 7-7-7-14 DDR3 1600 @ XMP. My 3DMark scores were 10% higher than most with my CPU and GPU.

For Ryzen 5000, I've got B-side ram that is guaranteed to run 14-14-14-34 DDR4 3200 @ XMP. You could o/c it and the ram could do it easily if you loosened the timings. Latency vs speed. Finding that sweet spot. Also. the Ryzen 5000 series does 10-12% better with 4 sticks vs 2 sticks. Ram size does not matter.

However, I'm like the OP. I like a stable and quiet machine. So, I just gave it a mild overclock. It's like a Ferrari. The only thing I'm missing is a new video card. I can wait it out. Congrats on the 3080 Ti @ retail, OP.

Last edited:

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
However, I'm like the OP. I like a stable and quiet machine. So, I just gave it a mild overclock. It's like a Ferrari. The only thing I'm missing is a new video card. I can wait it out. Congrats on the 3080 Ti @ retail, OP.

Thanks I finally got lucky when I signed up for EVGA queue when 3080TI was announced, took me about a 35 minutes to get in after hitting F5, and then got my notification last week, so can't wait it should be here tomorrow. Truthfully I really wanted a 3080 to save money, but not going to be picky lol

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Thanks I finally got lucky when I signed up for EVGA queue when 3080TI was announced, took me about a 35 minutes to get in after hitting F5, and then got my notification last week, so can't wait it should be here tomorrow. Truthfully I really wanted a 3080 to save money, but not going to be picky lol
I've been stuck in EVGA's queue since November of last year. I've gotten cards since then, but can't help but wonder is they will ever get to me.

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
not sure I start a new thread, if I should let me know.

I got my build up and running, have not installed 3080TI yet, I will shortly, but wanted to make sure else is in place and working before putting 3080TI. Currently using the onboard for now.

It been a really long time since i messed with benchmarking, and monitoring temps.

I downloaded HWMonitor, and cinebenchR23, the CPU from what I can see after a few minutes hits 93-95, that sounds a little hot even with Noctua D15S? Vcore seems to be around 1.356V

I have not touched anything in BIOS other then enabling XMP

Is this ok and safe? I should test a game since that is what I really do, but just wanted to make sure everything good before I start installing rest of my apps and games and putting in the 3080TI

I saw under power it was using 200W (Power/Packages) during the test I think I am looking in the right place, things have changed so much since the days of my i5 3575 lol

At idle my temps are 33-34

Any advice or not to worry and just play games?

Also it could be my cooling in the case, I have a phantek ethoo pro case with only 1 intake 200 MM fan, and 1 rear exhaust 140 MM. Thought about changing the 200 MM fan to maybe 2 - 140MM but I don't know how much difference will make with CPU.

Thanks

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
I've been stuck in EVGA's queue since November of last year. I've gotten cards since then, but can't help but wonder is they will ever get to me.
So I was stuck in the 3080 and 3070 queue since early dec 2020 if i recall. When the TI was announced officially and released, if you were an EVGA elite member, you got 24 hours access earlier then the public to get on the auto notify list. The first few times it took me 2 hours to get in notify because the site was still hammered even with EVGA elite members, and pretty much given up. Well they recently announced they were opening up the XC3 notify list, which is their base 3080TI model, and this time only took me 30 minutes to signed up in auto notify since their site was so overloaded.

Truthfully when I got notification about a week or so ago that I have 8 hours to order, I was more in shock like I lelt like I won a lottery, and then said what am I doing, why am I wasting time and ordered it LOL

Truthfully I rather have a 3080 base model, I feel it a better value card for the performance compared to TI. Don't get me wrong TI card performance is better but not for the price and I knew if I waited and gave up the TI who knows if I would ever get a 3080 so jumped on it.

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
I have one of my builds in it; nothing could touch it for value and conservative looks when I bought it. Excellent cooling too.

The Fuma 2 is hard to not like, particularly at its price point.

I ended up going with the Noctua D15S, actually easier to install then I thought and fits very good in this case. My only mistake was I should have plugged in the power from the power supply to the CPU power before I installed the coller, made it so much harder to plug it in, luckily easy fix I was able to remove the top cover of the phantek ethoo pro case and get easier acces.

For your tower what kind of cooling in terms of fans do you use? I am only using the default 140 MM rear exhaust, and the 200 MM front intake phantak fans. Just curious if you have better recommendations? Should I add or take out the 200 MM fan and replace with maybe a better fan or maybe 2 140 MM fans?

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
As long as you aren't throttling that temp is fine. Based on the 200W CPU power draw, what is probably happening is that MCE is turned on (multi-core enhancement). It applies the single core boost to all core loads and is, essentially, an auto all core OC. Gamers Nexus recommends against enabling MCE because it applies more voltage than necessary if you were to manually OC to the same speeds. Most, but not all, Intel motherboards have MCE on by default. Whether you leave it on after watching the video is your choice. Personally, I would manually OC to get the voltage and temps down. But I enjoy that kind of thing.

Article version here - https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...erboards-with-default-settings-for-your-build

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
So I was stuck in the 3080 and 3070 queue since early dec 2020 if i recall. When the TI was announced officially and released, if you were an EVGA elite member, you got 24 hours access earlier then the public to get on the auto notify list. The first few times it took me 2 hours to get in notify because the site was still hammered even with EVGA elite members, and pretty much given up. Well they recently announced they were opening up the XC3 notify list, which is their base 3080TI model, and this time only took me 30 minutes to signed up in auto notify since their site was so overloaded.

Truthfully when I got notification about a week or so ago that I have 8 hours to order, I was more in shock like I lelt like I won a lottery, and then said what am I doing, why am I wasting time and ordered it LOL

Truthfully I rather have a 3080 base model, I feel it a better value card for the performance compared to TI. Don't get me wrong TI card performance is better but not for the price and I knew if I waited and gave up the TI who knows if I would ever get a 3080 so jumped on it.
That was a good move on your part, congrats!

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
As long as you aren't throttling that temp is fine. Based on the 200W CPU power draw, what is probably happening is that MCE is turned on (multi-core enhancement). It applies the single core boost to all core loads and is, essentially, an auto all core OC. Gamers Nexus recommends against enabling MCE because it applies more voltage than necessary if you were to manually OC to the same speeds. Most, but not all, Intel motherboards have MCE on by default. Whether you leave it on after watching the video is your choice. Personally, I would manually OC to get the voltage and temps down. But I enjoy that kind of thing.

Article version here - https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...erboards-with-default-settings-for-your-build

Oh thank you! I checked my BIOS MCE is turned on by default. So if I turn it off, do I have to make any other changes ? or just that setting only? I am not big into overclocking, since I really don't understand it enough, the BIOS has so many settings I would be afraid to mess with anything until I really know what I am doing. Are there any primer or links how to do some light overlocking? That you know of for last few generations? Or just turn off MCE and not worry about anything else.

I will test it later and see if my temps go down I am really curious now