Which CPU: AMD Fusion E-450 vs i3 ULV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanrock

Jun 7, 2011
Interesting. I really wanted the E350 in the HP dm1z when I first saw it at best buy for less than 400.00. I thought it was an ideal processor for a small form factor.

I am surprised that you found it worked so well in a 15.6 inch notebook. I always thought it would be a bit underpowered for the larger chassis, but maybe I was wrong. Glad that you are happy with it.

Personally, I would probably go for Llano in a 15 in or above form factor, and try to find the E350 (E450, whatever) in a small form factor like an upgraded netbook. The HP dm1z seems to have dried up and/or is expensive now.

Agreed.

i had a 350 max (for parents) and the e350 was 329 delivered with 500gb HD. i bought the i3 for myself with 640gb HD, extra large batt for 426.00. both great deals! gave the e350 to parents and sold the i3 for bit more.

For me; (beyond a middle lvl processor) future-proof = GPU horsepower, and MUST have GOOD battery life
i will try to hold out til trinity, but im not sure i will be able to wait that long. we'll see next year if not delayed!!! otherwise, optimus (or A8) with extra large battery

Last edited:

gadgetzilla

Feb 5, 2010
Agreed, that AMD Fusion E-450 is directly competing with Intel Atom N570. Especially when you put the E-450 with a netbook with N570 and nVidia ION chips. In comparing video (and many games), the Fusion E-450 appears to be taking the lead (in my research, at least :)).

The price point of HP Pavilion DM1 offers the E-450 + ATI graphics + 4Gb RAM + either 250Gb or 350Gb drive, I don't rememeber exactly. The 'published' batterylife is 9+ hours though reality, always is different. The screen size is 11.6" which is very important. This is the maximum size I want to go with.

Enter i3 based 11.6" laptops. Namely, Acer Aspire AS1830T. It offers an i3 1.2Ghz cpu, 11.6" screen, 3Gb DDR3 RAM, 320Gb drive.The price range is comparable to the HP DM1 machine so are most other features.

So, though E-450 is intended to compete with Atom, the playing field is now at level also with i3 ULV, hence the origial question of which offers better performance.

oceanrock

Jun 7, 2011
Agreed, that AMD Fusion E-450 is directly competing with Intel Atom N570. Especially when you put the E-450 with a netbook with N570 and nVidia ION chips. In comparing video (and many games), the Fusion E-450 appears to be taking the lead (in my research, at least :)).

The price point of HP Pavilion DM1 offers the E-450 + ATI graphics + 4Gb RAM + either 250Gb or 350Gb drive, I don't rememeber exactly. The 'published' batterylife is 9+ hours though reality, always is different. The screen size is 11.6" which is very important. This is the maximum size I want to go with.

Enter i3 based 11.6" laptops. Namely, Acer Aspire AS1830T. It offers an i3 1.2Ghz cpu, 11.6" screen, 3Gb DDR3 RAM, 320Gb drive.The price range is comparable to the HP DM1 machine so are most other features.

So, though E-450 is intended to compete with Atom, the playing field is now at level also with i3 ULV, hence the origial question of which offers better performance.

at that price point i think you will get the i3 380 with Intel® HD Graphics - Mobile Intel® HM55 Express
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/LX.PTV02.315

with modern A/V and future A/V adn the apps that will take advantage of graphic subsystems you will be much better served with the e450. Maybe a bios update will allow for dd 8gb ddr3 @ 2100mhz a year from now:p or ssd (to either one):thumbsup: but you cant change the GPU subsystems evvva!D:

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Ha ha nice logic there. That is exactly what I am talking about. Nobody ever tests these specific things, but you just know it is superior. Meanwhile I am waiting for this lab pc to get off its butt and start working. I am wondering why it is so slow when it says the cpu is at 0-5% and it has a 7200rpm hdd and plenty of free memory. I'm sure a 2500k would fix it though!! lolol!!!1 I have no freakin clue what is wrong with it but am damn sure I know what is gonna fix it!

I do at least appreciate the DPC tests. I think that is touching upon what I am getting at.

You are the one that is ignoring logic. Scientific benchmarks have proven over and over that the 2500K is superior in performance to AMD processors. You are only making unproven conjecture that somewhere, somehow, there must be a test that shows AMD to be superior.

I am simply amazed at the leaps of logic that some people will perform to try to show Intel is inferior in some way. I used to be a fan of AMD, but I would not even attempt to claim that they are superior now on the CPU performance area.

oceanrock

Jun 7, 2011
Back on topic, more links for you:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-380UM-Notebook-Processor.36995.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-E-Series-E-450-Notebook-Processor.60138.0.html

PCvantage scores i3-380=3283, e450=2718

Again, you may never see/feel a compute difference, but you will suffer with the older intel HD grapics. And even more as time goes on...

That is the only benchmark on e450 listed, but the e350 does beat the i3 380 in a handful of tests
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-E-350-Notebook-Processor.40941.0.html

Last edited:

gadgetzilla

Feb 5, 2010
Thanks for the links.

Agreed, the raw benchmarks are better with i3 but with ATI graphics combined with AMD CPU, the overall graphic #s are superior, in particularly when playing HighDef files...at least that is what I'm finding based on my searches

Back on topic, more links for you:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-380UM-Notebook-Processor.36995.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-E-Series-E-450-Notebook-Processor.60138.0.html

PCvantage scores i3-380=3283, e450=2718

Again, you may never see/feel a compute difference, but you will suffer with the older intel HD grapics. And even more as time goes on...

That is the only benchmark on e450 listed, but the e350 does beat the i3 380 in a handful of tests
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-E-350-Notebook-Processor.40941.0.html

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
Are you sure about that (honest question, not trying to put you on the spot or anything)?

Because we're not talking hd2000 or hd3000 graphics either. This is the gma hd igp. I've seen it being compared with an amd HD4200.
He's talking about a yet to be released laptop. The i3 processor should be sandy bridge no? The gpu should be a downclocked hd3000. Why would a newly released laptop use a last gen processor?

Last edited:

mrcmtl

Jul 22, 2010

Not to mention that the HP has a better build quality, better audio, probably better battery life and a faster hard drive...

I'd go for the E-450 as the previous dm1z already won a lot of awards and HP seems to have improved it further.

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
Unless you're playing high bitrate 1080p the i3 wouldn't have to bother with dxva anyway.

Sure, if you don't care about battery life or fan noise, decoding video on a high-performance CPU works fine. If you do care, you really want it to be done on dedicated hardware.

The E-350/450 doesn't have grunt on the GPU side compared to the i3. This isn't llano. The GPU in the i3 should be considerably faster then zacate. Remember we're talking about a netbook processor vs a full fledged low voltage notebook processor.

I thought the Zacate GPU was pretty respectable compared to the low-end Intel Core products, though that would've been ~9 months ago (pre-Sandy Bridge?) so that could have changed.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I have 2 sb laptops and there is some serious problems about video quality. The first is the 23.xxx h264 thingy that anand have mentioned. The second is the quality of the hd video, its not up there that the amd and nv hardware. The third is the quality of the graphics in games. Its simply worse with the same quality settings.

One have to be very carefull if you really need the sb speed, because as it stands it have quality consequenses for the gfx part. As you are not using an ssd, i see absolutely no reason to use a faster processor than a bobcat.

For a portable system i would say the week side of bobcat is not the speed but battery life. Hopefully that will be great when IB hits the market, and correts most of the gfx problems on the Intel processors.

And lets not forget its the same as comparing an Atom to a BD. Its hardly the same market they are competing for. But it says something about bobcats strenghts for value.

ColoradoLeo76

Jan 10, 2008
tl;dr
I have an e350 and it's fine and games well. I don't know how well the i3 would game.

long, rambling version
I've been using my dm1z e350 for almost a year now, and I'm really happy with it. I intend to pick up the e450 refresh in January. out of the box with 3 GB of RAM and the 320GB WD Scorpio Black, it could get a little bogged down when the tab count went up in chrome. I did upgrade to 8gb of ram and that helped a lot with high tab counts. the ssd i also put in after the ram helped with startup and shutdown and program startup, but that's to be expected. I don't do heavy number crunching (unless you count quicken as heavy number crunching, which it isn't). As one of the other posted stated, For what I use it for, with the upgrades I've given it, CPU is not a bottleneck. I even play l4d2 and bf3 on it, albeit as low as the settings go, for smoothness' sake. It can handle medium settings, but I'd just as soon have the higher frame rates. Besides, for the heavy lifting, I have my desktop at home.

I fully intend to pick up the e450 refresh in the next month or so, for the DDR3 1600 memory as well as the mild apu bump, and the trackpad 'fix'.

I have no benchmarks, just subjective feel.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
tl;dr
I have an e350 and it's fine and games well. I don't know how well the i3 would game.

long, rambling version
I've been using my dm1z e350 for almost a year now, and I'm really happy with it. I intend to pick up the e450 refresh in January. out of the box with 3 GB of RAM and the 320GB WD Scorpio Black, it could get a little bogged down when the tab count went up in chrome. I did upgrade to 8gb of ram and that helped a lot with high tab counts. the ssd i also put in after the ram helped with startup and shutdown and program startup, but that's to be expected. I don't do heavy number crunching (unless you count quicken as heavy number crunching, which it isn't). As one of the other posted stated, For what I use it for, with the upgrades I've given it, CPU is not a bottleneck. I even play l4d2 and bf3 on it, albeit as low as the settings go, for smoothness' sake. It can handle medium settings, but I'd just as soon have the higher frame rates. Besides, for the heavy lifting, I have my desktop at home.

I fully intend to pick up the e450 refresh in the next month or so, for the DDR3 1600 memory as well as the mild apu bump, and the trackpad 'fix'.

I have no benchmarks, just subjective feel.
I think you live in a fantasy land claiming to play BF 3 on the E350. an E350 would be about equal to having a core 2 duo at 1.0 and that in no way would be very playable. that cpu would not even come close to meeting the minimum required cpu just to play the game. not to mention the gpu portion which is also well below minimum requirements.

EDIT: in fact here you go. all low settings at 640x480 and it cant even average but about 10-12 fps with many dips in the single digits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFHafdLAF90

Last edited:

SoulBrother

Mar 1, 2012
I need some advice. I'm looking at the HP dm1z and seeing they have an E-450 and a i3 version. There is a considerable difference in price. The only reason I'm looking at this netbook/laptop is that I'm a photographer and I'm going on a month long holiday. I plan on taking gigabytes worth of photos and I need some place to drop them. A netbook seemed like a smart solution to a very expensive mediaviewer (that is probably a SSD). As I looked I started to upgrade the memory and the processor and then realized I'm going to essentially be using this as a smart harddrive. I don't imagine I'll be doing any photo editing on an 11.6" screen and aside from internet browsing and playing some videos, I don't know what else I'd be using it for. I MIGHT want to drop some large HD 1080p movies (10GB+) on the device and take advantage of the HDMI out.

My problem is I don't know much about netbooks and processors vs GPU in terms of specs any more. Most of this benchmark is meaningless to me aside from the basic "the number is higher so it means it's better".

What model should I go for that will meet my needs? Help! please.

"AMD Dual-Core Processor E-450(1.65GHz, 1MB L2 Cache) + AMD Radeon HD 6320M Discrete-Class Graphics" OR "2nd generation Intel Core i3-2367M Processor with Intel HD Graphics 3000"???

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
http://compare-processors.com/amd-e-450-vs-core-i3-2357m/1782/

The i3, on paper, is much faster in just about every CPU task.

In some GPU limited tasks, I feel like the E-450 should be faster, but I can't really find any benchmarks comparing them. I could be wrong here.

One thing I like about the E-450 is AMD's driver support for the GPU side, as it uses basically a form of a Radeon core and will be supported by the main catalyst drivers, you are less likely to ever find something that just won't run. Intel's GPU driver support has been lacking in my past experiences, though I haven't had a reason to give them another chance lately.

Another thing to consider is the E-450 should be significantly cheaper.

SoulBrother

Mar 1, 2012
Chiropteran, as far as my use goes, which do you think would be the wise decision? Is GPU important for photo editing and movie output? I always thought GPU was more for games, which I don't play.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Chiropteran, as far as my use goes, which do you think would be the wise decision? Is GPU important for photo editing and movie output? I always thought GPU was more for games, which I don't play.

Based on everything I know the i3 would be significantly faster for Photoshop, except possibly some OpenCL accelerated function that lets the E-450 take advantage of it's superior GPU. I can't find a thorough benchmark run, though here is a basic comparison:

http://asia.cnet.com/product/hp-pavilion-dm1-amd-fusion-e-450-processor-1-65ghz-45630072.htm

The samsung Series 3 NP300U1A uses the 1.3GHz Intel Core i3-2357M, and the dm1 uses the E-450. The E-450 is 62% slower, so it's clear that the i3 is a better CPU for photoshop.

I suspect either CPU could play the same movies for the most part. I know the E-450 will struggle and drop frames on HD Netflix (because it uses silverlight and isn't GPU accelerated) and can play almost anything else, and I suspect the i3 would probably also have trouble with HD Netflix.

SoulBrother

Mar 1, 2012
I'm not concerned with Netflix. And as I said I wouldn't be doing much Photoshop on an 11" screen. Does the GPU and processor make or break the device as a media player for large DiVx HD movies of 10GB or more? Will this little netbook be able to play it without lagging/skipping/etc?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I'm not concerned with Netflix. And as I said I wouldn't be doing much Photoshop on an 11" screen. Does the GPU and processor make or break the device as a media player for large DiVx HD movies of 10GB or more? Will this little netbook be able to play it without lagging/skipping/etc?

I have no direct experience with trying to play divx on an e-350 (or 450).

Funny thing, when I google "divx hd on e-450" your post comes up as the second result, damn google is fast.

Anyway, notebook check says "The new UVD3 video decoder allows the decoding of HD videos using the graphics card. It allows the parallel decoding of two MPEG2, H.264 and VC-1 streams and therefore compatible to BD-Live. Furthermore, the new UVD3 also supports DivX, Xvid and MPEG4 Part 2 decoding. Blu-Ray 3D via MCV (Multiview Video Coding) is theoretically supported by the UVD3 but wasn't available in the first laptops and platforms (no hardware accelleration and no HDMI 1.4 output)."

This thread might help some too-

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/501683-hp-dm1z-55.html

Quick summary, someone said 720p divx movies were playing very jerky and dropping frame.

Originally Posted by malachii
I'm not sure if there's a solution, but I'm fairly sure I read someplace in a review that it only accelerates H264 video, and your DIVX video is probably not H264.

You have to use DXVA. Try Splashlite.

And then the original guy responded:
Splashlite is the bomb! It works perfectly.

So basically sounds like it will play the movies, but you might have to jump through some hoops and find the best player that fully supports the GPU acceleration.

edit: hoops, not hopes

Last edited:

jihe

Nov 6, 2009
I need some advice. I'm looking at the HP dm1z and seeing they have an E-450 and a i3 version. There is a considerable difference in price. The only reason I'm looking at this netbook/laptop is that I'm a photographer and I'm going on a month long holiday. I plan on taking gigabytes worth of photos and I need some place to drop them. A netbook seemed like a smart solution to a very expensive mediaviewer (that is probably a SSD). As I looked I started to upgrade the memory and the processor and then realized I'm going to essentially be using this as a smart harddrive. I don't imagine I'll be doing any photo editing on an 11.6" screen and aside from internet browsing and playing some videos, I don't know what else I'd be using it for. I MIGHT want to drop some large HD 1080p movies (10GB+) on the device and take advantage of the HDMI out.

My problem is I don't know much about netbooks and processors vs GPU in terms of specs any more. Most of this benchmark is meaningless to me aside from the basic "the number is higher so it means it's better".

What model should I go for that will meet my needs? Help! please.

"AMD Dual-Core Processor E-450(1.65GHz, 1MB L2 Cache) + AMD Radeon HD 6320M Discrete-Class Graphics" OR "2nd generation Intel Core i3-2367M Processor with Intel HD Graphics 3000"???

The cheaper one. Both will do your job fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.