• Toshiba

• Magnavox

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDev

Jun 1, 2012
I want to buy an LED HDTV with 1080p. I will mainly be using it for gaming. Which company makes the best HDTV's?

Yes, I know I already made a similar thread, but I wanted a poll to specifically ask this question.

Closed on request of OP
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
LOL, WTF voted for Vizio?

The top TV, arguably, is Sharp's Elite LCD (LED backlit). I'd consider the Panasonic VT50 the runner up and Sony's HX929 third.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Vizio makes a pretty good television for a great price. "Best" is a subjective term and means different things to different people. If I can't afford a top o' the line Sharp then it's certainly not the best tv for me. Vizio's SXVT line was competing with the best LED TVs a few years ago at about half the price. If someone would have asked me then what the best TV was, it would have been one of the first I'd have mentioned.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Vizio is one of the best budget line TV's. No way would I consider it "the best" when left in an open ended question. Now if you phrased it, "what is the best TV at a certain price point" Vizio may enter into the discussion. But again when asked, what is the best TV, Vizio shouldn't even be mentioned.

If I had a kid, I'd get him a Vizio for his room. They're cheap and offer a descent picture quality. And if he broke it, I wouldn't be too upset. ;)

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I'm guessing the "best" in this context is the quality of the picture produced regardless of the cost of the product? If that's the case, I'm surprised Pioneer wasn't on this poll. I considered them the "best" for a while, but not certain if that's true any more. As of now, Panasonic is probably the best and Samsung is a very close second.

Samsung is probably the best for quality versus cost overall. Vizio...*shakes head* is garbage. If you just want a big TV for the sake of it being big and for the cheapest price and don't care about the quality of it, then you buy Vizio.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I'm guessing the "best" in this context is the quality of the picture produced regardless of the cost of the product? If that's the case, I'm surprised Pioneer wasn't on this poll. I considered them the "best" for a while, but not certain if that's true any more. As of now, Panasonic is probably the best and Samsung is a very close second.

Samsung is probably the best for quality versus cost overall. Vizio...*shakes head* is garbage. If you just want a big TV for the sake of it being big and for the cheapest price and don't care about the quality of it, then you buy Vizio.

Never owned a Vizio, huh?

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Yup, I've owned two Vizios (a 42" and a 46") and they are both excellent TVs. I've also owned a supposedly "nice" Sony and an decent Samsung. Neither were better to my eyes, or anyone elses for that matter.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Never owned a Vizio, huh?

Nope. Your point?

Yup, I've owned two Vizios (a 42" and a 46") and they are both excellent TVs. I've also owned a supposedly "nice" Sony and an decent Samsung. Neither were better to my eyes, or anyone elses for that matter.

I'm glad you're satisfied with your purchases. According to several professional reviewer sources, however, my point still stands in regards to best quality picture...

I thought this was a best thread?

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Nope. Your point?

I'm glad you're satisfied with your purchases. According to several professional reviewer sources, however, my point still stands in regards to best quality picture...

I thought this was a best thread?

His point, as well as mine, is that your definition of "garbage" must be skewed by your platinum framed glasses made of diamonds.
If you refer to the OPs last thread, he most likely means "best for the price". He doesn't have alot to work with.
I won't disagree that there are better looking/performing TVs out there, but he's not going to pay for that.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
And for the thread starter, here are a few links to get you started on finding your TV of choice. You'll want to search based on your own criteria that you value of course (price, size, features, watt consumption, etc...):

http://www.testfreaks.com/televisions/?sort=score
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-33-42-inch-hdtvs/
http://www.televisioninfo.com/News/TelevisionInfo-2011-Select-Awards.htm
http://www.televisioninfo.com/Buying-Guides/Perfect-Picture.htm

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
I couldn't say who makes the best...but I have a Hitatchi 42" 1080p LCD TV and...it's alright. I have a Samsung LN52A750 52" 1080p, and it's beautiful! Much better than any of my friends or family tv's. Still great for a 4 years old TV.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Pioneer stopped making TV's in early 2009.

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
I don't like questions like "What is the best". The best is subjective for everyone and determined by your needs and pocketbook. Some like the screen so bright you need sunscreen to watch it. Some crave for the blackest blacks. Some go for build quality. This forum has always been biased towards Panasonic in my opinion. Panasonic makes a good product. The two best known and probably most sold brands are Panasonic and Samsung followed by LG. Whatever looks good to you is the best. Nobody can tell you what is the best TV for you.

All that being said the Panasonic Plasmas are generally regarded to have a great picture.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I'd say Panasonic, but then they don't make LCD HDTVs with sufficient color gamut... there is simply no reason to be using WLEDs.

I think the upcoming Sony CrystalLED TV or whatever it's called may be good, as long as it has very low input lag and if it has excellent power circuitry. Unfortunately, they won't be making one in 32 in or less.

Sharp and Samsung are out of the question because they tend to use VA panels and because Samsung at least used to use lousy power circuitry.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I'd say Panasonic, but then they don't make LCD HDTVs with sufficient color gamut... there is simply no reason to be using WLEDs.

I think the upcoming Sony CrystalLED TV or whatever it's called may be good, as long as it has very low input lag and if it has excellent power circuitry. Unfortunately, they won't be making one in 32 in or less.

Sharp and Samsung are out of the question because they tend to use VA panels and because Samsung at least used to use lousy power circuitry.

Sharp has the best LCD on the market now. And when doing a side-by-side comparison between a Panasonic VT50 and Sharp Elite, most would choose the Elite. The main reason people choose the VT50 over an Elite is due to the price, not performance.

I currently have a plasma, and if I were in the market today for a new TV, the Elite would be my only choice.

Last edited:

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
I've only ever had one HDTV and it is a Vizio that has worked perfectly for five or six years. Plus, I like the company in general.

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Panasonic Plasmas. Nothing's finer.... :)

For Plasmas, I agree they are hard to beat.

I like my Samsung, but they aren't trustworthy, and swap panels, cheap out on caps etc., doubt I would buy another regardless of how nice the picture is.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

I like my Samsung, but they aren't trustworthy, and swap panels, cheap out on caps etc., doubt I would buy another regardless of how nice the picture is.

After the BS cap fiasco Samsung pulled a few years ago, it would be VERY hard for me to recommend them again. This issue plagued SEVERAL models for that year, and then bled into the next year's models. It wasn't a matter of IF it would fail, but when it would fail. And it would normally fail JUST outside of the warranty period. If you complained enough though, they'd act like they were doing you a favor by replacing your power supply board. This was actually the problem (underspeced caps in the PS board), but there was no guarantees they fixed the caps in the replacement board. Absolutely unacceptable.

Last edited:

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

This is actually pretty sad. Yes, Panasonic currently has the best plasma on the market, but even in 2012 they are still trying to play catch up with Pioneer's 2008 technology. But this really isn't Panasonic's fault. Why should they produce the best plasma possible when consumers aren't willing to fork over the money for the best tech?

Last edited:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
If the OP said best LCD I would have voted Sharp. But I have a Sony SXRD and is not as bright or as sharp as my Panasonic Plasma but at displaying TV over Fiber the picture looks better. I am not sure if that is because it is not a fixed pixel display or a better processing engine.

But I have do like the Panasonic Plasma and the energy used does not appear to be any more than LCD suprisingly.

But if it is for my bedroom or a family room i would only get a smart TV, even with smart BD players and the such i like being able to do it directly with the TV.

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
If you complained enough though, they'd act like they were doing you a favor by replacing your power supply board. Absolutely unacceptable.

Yep, and from what I understand, with the same POS one that it came with. I got a 4071F, and know it's just a matter of time. This is upstairs in the bonus room, and gets little use compared to those who use them as their everyday TV, so I'm sure it will bite me. Good point about Pioneer, but their price point put them out of most people's league.

Status
Not open for further replies.