Which Cheap Sound Card?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
So i've pretty much concluded that my onboard sound doesnt work for my ic7-g so im gonna buy a sound card. I dont need anything with fancy inputs and features just something that will give me good game preformance and sound good on my logitech z560's. I was looking at the Guillemot Hercules GameSurround Fortissimo III 7.1 at newegg and its about 54 bucks with tax and shipping. It looks like all the reviews are pretty good, i was just wondering if anyone had a different recomendation for a sound card around 50 dollars.

moemac8

May 20, 2003
Would a sound card like that make much of a difference over the sound on his motherboard?? (if it were working)

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: moemac8
Would a sound card like that make much of a difference over the sound on his motherboard?? (if it were working)

It would be = or better sound quality and would take some load off the cpu. I would rma the board in case there are other hidden problems and he has a legit reason to. Then I would buy a sound card.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Problem is that is that i bought this off someone in the fs forum and this is actually an rma. So i really dont know if i could rma it. The motherboard is very nice otherwise, i got a nice 3.2 ghz out of my 2.6c with a little extra voltage and it seems stable. Just need some better ram so i can run at 1:1.

edt: why do you recomend the turtle beach one?

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
I'm sure you already tried everything but two things come to mind.
Under "onchip PCI devices " in the bios is "onboard audio controller" enabled?

Under "sound and audio device properties" is AC97 set as the default device? Is it muted in the volume control.

OK three things.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Does anyone know which preforms better in games the santa cruz or the hercules? Hmm the audigy gamer is about that price as well.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Don't worry, I don't think you'd really want to use the onboard sound.... it is teh suxxor.

For a premium system, go for premium sound w/ an Audigy 2. Or for a little less money, the new Audigy 2 ZS seems like it might be a good option.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
I don't know how cheap you want to go, but while I was looking into getting my Abit motherboard RMA'd today, I stumbled across this card by Abit. $12.95 plus $5 flat shipping. It's Dolby Digital 5.1 / DTS capable, and includes an infrared remote w/ IR reciever. If you were just lookin for something cheap that sounds good, this may be an option.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: BaboonGuy
the TBSC is awesome for games.

The Audigy 2 is THE best for games. No doubt. Least CPU usage of any EAX enabled hardware (other than maybe Nvidia onboard Soundstorm.) And super high quality sound... It's the only sound card capable of playing DVD 24-bit audio.... I just watched a movie in 24-bit audio, 4.1 surround, on my LCD. Looked good, sounded GREAT. The thunder really seems to surround you, like real thunder... ANd voices to the front came from the front... Just... I <3 my audigy. I'm glad I put down $130 bucks for it...

Sound is just as important as video...

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
If i was going to get an udigy 2 is it worth the extra 20 bucks for the retail version?

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Xafgoat
If i was going to get an udigy 2 is it worth the extra 20 bucks for the retail version?

there is a $35 difference at newegg, i dont think the two games are worth it

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: fredtam
Originally posted by: moemac8

It would be = or better sound quality and would take some load off the cpu. I would rma the board in case there are other hidden problems and he has a legit reason to. Then I would buy a sound card.

definitely rma, one problem may lead to others.
if you still want eparate sound ive heard good things about the TBSC

happy with my Live! though so bah