Question Which case is better?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I'm going to be upgrading to the 5800x or 10700k next month and later on replacing my 1080 Ti with a RTX 3080 and I'm not yet 100% sure on which case I should get. I've narrowed it down to these 2 choices:

I prefer a case with a solid panel instead of a windowed panel so I'm leaning towards the 275Q for that reason alone but I might reconsider my preference if the 275R Airflow case will actually cool the components inside much better than the 275Q. Frankly, me coming to a decision would be easier if their was an option for a solid panel edition instead of a windowed panel for the 275R Airflow case but their isn't. So which case would you recommend out of these two cases I listed here?

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
Personally I'd go for the Airflow out of those two, for the cooling alone. However if you're open to suggestions take a look at the Fractal Design Meshify C, it's $80 on newegg. It might not fit every 3080 variant but will fit some of them for sure.

Reactions: Bobsy

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Case choices are hard and worth taking time researching as much as you can. Keep doing your research! True build quality is not always easy to find after a few read or tube reviews. Over time I am liking quality cases more and more, but I guess that is normally only a major value if the case is moved often or during the initial build. The rest comes down to quiet vs. airflow for the total heat demands.

Because of this over time, I have become a rather large Fractal fan, so don't listen to me. I like quite computers, and am willing to cut cases up and add dense foam insulation through experimentation to make them quieter if I don't reduce the look or function. I also build 1 or 2 desktop puters a year for family and friends and they all seem to like desktops that are quiet, without any clear case sides, and that fade into the room - as in don't stand out. Only 1 out of 20 that I know cares about an RGB build.

I just received my first Meshify C for a new family build using an older Ryzen 1700. It should work well, but will be louder because of its non-solid top and only 120mm rear fan and open front. It has a solid side, and seems a little lighter overall than I am used to as far as reinforcement and metal thickness. The test is yet to come.

My favorite 5 years or newer owned case for airflow and relative quite with decent fan curves is the Fractal Define s2 even with a smoked glass side (wish they had a solid dampened side at the time). Good airflow and dampens noise even with a 1950x 180w threadripper cpu.

I am going to rebuild a Fractal Define R5 soon I think with a 5950x. With a front door that opens up and with a rear 140, solid top and 2 or 3 front 140mm fans with a large air cpu cooler, I think even with a 300 w + GPU it will be great, but may be thermal limited running full tilt for a long time if the front door is shut. I cut out the rear fan grill for an old school circular wire grill and it is even quieter. I plan on cutting out all future rear grills to install circular wire grills if the rear grills look too restricted. Wire grills are best for flow and noise.

The brand new Meshify C will receive a new 120 mm rear wire grill before build.

I have an older full aluminum tower with a 4 core/ 8 thread intel that I have used for years, it looks great but I am realizing does not flow as well as it should....

Too many options!

charlietee

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001
Might check out the Lian-Li Lancool ii Mesh...Build quality is outstanding as usual from Lian-Li...Tempered glass doors on both side. Just the covers on the right side to hide all the cables is worth the price of admission for me.
Lian-Li Lancool ii
The versatility of the case has option after option after option for water cooling. One of the best airflow cases available. At or near the top in virtually every review. Great case with no drawbacks that I have encountered anyway.

Last edited:

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I'm going to be upgrading to the 5800x or 10700k next month and later on replacing my 1080 Ti with a RTX 3080 and I'm not yet 100% sure on which case I should get. I've narrowed it down to these 2 choices:

I prefer a case with a solid panel instead of a windowed panel so I'm leaning towards the 275Q for that reason alone but I might reconsider my preference if the 275R Airflow case will actually cool the components inside much better than the 275Q. Frankly, me coming to a decision would be easier if their was an option for a solid panel edition instead of a windowed panel for the 275R Airflow case but their isn't. So which case would you recommend out of these two cases I listed here?

With those components it seems kind of weird to buy budget cases.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
With those components it seems kind of weird to buy budget cases.

Well I don't really want RGB or windowed panels. I also don't want a huge case. I'm willing to spend up to $150 for a case if it's a quality case, without windowed panels or RGB, and not too big. Basically the Corsair Carbide 275Q fits that description and happens to be a budget case.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
At that price point I would recommend looking at Fractal Meshify S2, Define 7, Define 7 Compact. None of them have RGB and they all exist in non-window versions.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'd go for a:
LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH or
Phanteks Eclipse P500A High Airflow

Where ever you can find a good price.
Use lower speed fans if you want something more quiet.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I'd go for a:
LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH or
Phanteks Eclipse P500A High Airflow

Where ever you can find a good price.
Use lower speed fans if you want something more quiet.
Those both look great or O.K.. Looks are a personal matter, and come into play and details matter so review details deep!

Is the case going to be moved or flexed often? Easily accessible filters? (normally a once a year deal, unless in dusty environment). Normally not a major consideration.

Case fan quality and noise is a major factor if quiet is desired! Do research! Open cases can normally run fans at a lower rpm and end up quitter, but not always the case with a high TDP cpu running 24 / 7. Fan frequency matters with the "tone" of sound also.

Open cases tend to allow higher noise frequencies out. This normally occurs when the fans are over 1,000 rpm. I don't like any noise from the case, and a solid and dampened plate in front of a fan helps to take out higher fan frequencies. Not perfect, but mid-towers tend to do better with covers rather than smaller mid-towers and open faces.

Spending time with fan curves and whatever motherboard / cpu measurements that are available helps out greatly related to noise. Not in a 24/7 Boinc like environment, but for game or office software use, it matters more.

Have fun!

Reactions: Kinesis

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I do hope we have more from smaller motherboards soon. There is a space between MircoAtx and ATX that could serve most users anymore.

I would like a wide but short and stout case. Maybe even using up to 200 fans in front with a 140 in back and just space for 2.5 drives or less. 3.5 drive size could be all external anymore.

I still want large air coolers at least 150mm tall and super quiet fans.?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

275Q is #1 on my case list right now, but it's a tough decision for me, perhaps the hardest component to decide on.

Reason for 275Q over 275R (otherwise the same frame) is I can easily open up the quiet version (take off front panel) of a case to increase airflow, but it's a lot more work to sound insulate the airflow case to make it quieter, and the 275Q has a bonus of a PWM powered fan splitter.

Reason for 275 over Fractal Define equivalent. Greater chassis depth of the Corsair, leaves slightly more room for PSU and it's cables with the HDD cage installed, and allows for greater GPU length with fans installed.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
your getting a 2,000 dollar PC Parts and placing it in a 80 dollar case?
Can i tell you how wrong this is unless that case is really the style you absolutely want, or your building a sleeper....
But even then, can i ask if you saw though any of the other premium cases, especially ones which can show off that 800 dollar gpu, if you even manage to get one that is.

Reactions: Stuka87

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Assuming OP hasn't bought a case, it's 2020. I would not get any case that does not have at least one USB-C in the front panel. I've already used mine a few times, and it'd be a pain crawling under the desk, and searching for it in the back of the computer. I have a Phanteks Eclipse P600 which is a very nice case, but cost $150.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Assuming OP hasn't bought a case, it's 2020. I would not get any case that does not have at least one USB-C in the front panel.

I had about 10 cases in a watch list. Not one had USB-C which tends to only be on more expensive cases. I ordered an XPG Invader because it was one that had a very decent deal on price.

It may be 2020, but I am not limiting my case choice to a feature, that will exclude nearly every case I was looking at, when I don't even have a single USB-C device.

I'll figure out a retro-fit if/when it becomes necessary.

Edit - Example:

Last edited: