Which car to choose?

DataFly

Mar 12, 2000
I'm in the market for a used car for less than 10-12K with an automatic transmission, but I really am not sure what to look for. I've looked into some relatively late-model Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, and Mazdas, as well as older BMWs and Mercedes, but the likely repair costs are a tad too high for the latter two. American build quality is supposedly a mixed bag, so I'm a little leery of buying American. I'm leaning towards a Honda because I've heard that they last forever, but I'm still far from sure. Any advice would be appreciated.:)

I can't spend more than $12K since I'm only a student with a part-time job. Safety is the primary consideration, followed by sportiness and then fuel economy. A zippy car would be a nice plus, though.;)

Thanks

goldboyd

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
you cant go wrong with an accord or a camry. an accord might be a bit quicker/sportier if ya go for the couple, but both are damn good cars with great reliability.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I've been happy with my Ford Contour. No troubles in 75000 miles (I put 55000 on it). Pretty darn safe too. I hit a guard rail on an exit ramp at about 40mph. Wasn't hurt cept for a tiny cut on my nose from the stinkin airbag going off (those things are EXPENSIVE -- I luv insurance). Car held up very well. Bumper was the only thing that got messed up.

Rollover protection is pretty good too. I know a guy that rolled his 3 times, got out, and started cursing at his stupid move.

Jonathan59

Dec 14, 1999
Get a 1994-1995 Volvo 850. It's safe reliable and somewhat sporty. 1995 model cost $13k. 1994 model will cost less

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
DataFly

I would have to say go with VW if you want something non American. Great gas milage and cheap to fix.

Otherwise I would agree with Goldboyd. Honda Accords are cheap to run.

Otherwise. If you where going to look into getting a slightly used American car. I would have to say a cavalier. And they are about that price new too. Look around and make sure you get everything looked at before you buy it.

One last thing. DO NOT buy a used BMW or Mercedes. How offten do you see a used BWM or Mercedes that is good shape and even worth $10K? It's all in the name. Nothing special. IMHO....

Wolf

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
VW's are cheap to fix? Hardly, since all parts have to be imported and can only be bought from a vw dealer.
Guess how much a dipstick costs for a golf.... 80 bucks. Cheap eh? :)

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
go with a BMW or a Camrey or an accord actually go test drive them and buy which one you like the best.

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
They are cheap around my area. And you can find parts cheap. That's just my opinion anyways.

Wolf

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
I think the '93 850 GLT is a beaut of a sedan...just don't get it...parts will unload your wallet and bank account fast. The price you pay, for a unique car:)

I too think you should get a Contour...either a '95 SE, or a '98 SVT!

Paul

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yep SVT Contour, or the always trustworthy civic or accord. I would pic the SVT contour as my number 1 choice.

atomicbomberman

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
hmm.. why drive automatic? Here is some cars you might consider..

96-97 Jetta, or Golf
94-95 Intergra, get a GSR!!! =)

Or some Honda Civic or Corolla.