Which candidates are actually talking about how to fix the deficit?

SoundTheSurrender

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
The only one that I know clearly about is Paul, Obama doesn't seem to have anything and I don't know much about anyone else.

Thanks

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Obama wants to get out of Iraq which would be very helpful for balancing the budget.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Ron Paul Calls It Quits

Ron Paul, the Republican presidential candidate, announced today that he's withdrawing from the race. The announcement sparked a blizzard of news coverage far greater than any coverage of Paul's campaign efforts. Paul denied that he will run as a Libertarian in the general election, or for that matter, as a vegetarian.

Speaking outside his office in Galveston, Texas, Congressman Paul indicated he would run for Congress in 2008. "Dennis Kucinich inspired me," said the candidate. "Working together in Congress, he and I hope to stop this war and bring our soldiers home where they belong."

The announcement led to tremendous discord in the community of Ron Paul supporters, with 300 suicides reported in the first hour after the story broke. Dozens of Ron Paul sign wavers jumped in front of cars, causing hundreds of dollars in vehicle damage. President Bush has asked FEMA to consider reimbursing affected drivers.

On the bright side, the divorce rate is expected to drop as men return home to their families. Also, productivity in the broader computer industry will increase with all the geeks going back to their companies and getting some actual work done. There will be negative economic impact as well. Starbuck warned investors of an anticipated revenue hit, sign printers expressed concern, and the reduction in internet traffic may depress shares of Cisco and other internet hardware providers.

At least one pundit predicted that Paul will be considered as a running mate. "He's a natural fit for Mitt Romney," noted George Will, "in that he brings a lot of independent voters into the tent. He would also fit with Barack Obama, as both appeal to young independent voters and it would further burnish Obama's post-partisan appeal. Plus he can put his roughly $20 million in campaign funds to use if he's on the ticket." Ron Paul campaign chair Kent Snyder declined comment on any vice-presidential run, saying it was too early to consider.
http://www.thespoof.com/news/s....cfm?headline=s2i29459

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
The announcement led to tremendous discord in the community of Ron Paul supporters, with 300 suicides reported in the first hour after the story broke. Dozens of Ron Paul sign wavers jumped in front of cars, causing hundreds of dollars in vehicle damage. President Bush has asked FEMA to consider reimbursing affected drivers.

:D, lulz.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Romney, Guiliani and McCain have all said they will cut taxes and spending.
So, we know they are full of b.s. and will only make matter worse.
Clinton has a pretty good plan which includes some rollbacks of the tax cuts for the richest, some lower spending on corporate welfare, and PAGO. Clearly Hillary's workable plan, like her husbands did, is our only chance of balancing the budget.

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
Clearly Hillary's workable plan, like her husbands did, is our only chance of balancing the budget.

I haven't laughed this hard in months. The corporate queen is going to balance the budget, now that's rich. ROFLMFAO!

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Clinton has a pretty good plan which includes some rollbacks of the tax cuts for the richest, some lower spending on corporate welfare, and PAGO. Clearly Hillary's workable plan, like her husbands did, is our only chance of balancing the budget.

:roll:

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006

Wow, the more Hilary gets buried by Obama in the primaries the more delusional you supporters get.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
I can?t stand Hillary but the last time we had a balanced budget was with Bill, and this is really just going to be his third term.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: rpanic
I can?t stand Hillary but the last time we had a balanced budget was with Bill, and this is really just going to be his third term.

At least that's what Mrs. Clinton tells him. Once she's in power and has control of the secret service he might find himself sleeping on the couch in an undisclosed location.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Congress balanced the budget, not Bill. The 1997 Balanced Budget Act was back by the GOP and not the Dems. Yes Bill signed it but he didnt balance the budget.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Clearly Hillary's workable plan, like her husbands did, is our only chance of balancing the budget.
LMFAO!!! You crack me up techs! :roll:

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem

Congress balanced the budget, not Bill. The 1997 Balanced Budget Act was back by the GOP and not the Dems. Yes Bill signed it but he didnt balance the budget.

Yeah, it's a coincidence that when we have a Republican Congress and Preisident that deficits skyrocket.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006

:roll:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
NPR aired an interview with Sen. Baucus, D-MT, concerning the stimulus package. During the course of the interview (paraphrasing here), the reporter finally got around to asking how we were going to pay for it. "Um, ah, well." Will there be reductions elsewhere? " Ah, no, there are no offsets in this bill because, um, it's, um, an emergency!" Then it will add to the deficit and we'll have to pay in back later? "Ah, no one's talking about adding to the deficit, ah, um...if it works, the economy will do better and it will pay for itself!"

http://www.npr.org/templates/s...y.php?storyId=18518883

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: marincounty
Originally posted by: Wreckem

Yeah, it's a coincidence that when we have a Republican Congress and Preisident that deficits skyrocket.

Republicans and Democrats only have principles when they dont have complete control.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
As far as the only one fiscal enough to balance the budget that would be Paul. As that's clearly all he really cares about is our economy. To hell with the rest of the world is what I'm hearing from him right now, we need to concentrate on the Mortgage crisis and our deficit. Apparently no one else thinks our economy is important though. Funny as hell his Congressional office is the only one who returns more than %40 of their yearly budget back to the Treasury :)

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The only way Bill Clinton could balance the budget is to have military cutbacks.

Lets just hope we dont get attacked again.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Originally posted by: piasabird
The only way Bill Clinton could balance the budget is to have military cutbacks.

Lets just hope we dont get attacked again.

Actually I'm hoping we get attacked again. Then maybe some people will finally start to realize no matter how much money you pour into your military you will not stop Terrorism. We didn't figure that out with the war on drugs, maybe this war on terror will bankrupt us and then we'll finally figure it out.

This rational that money and a big strong Military will stop terrorism is akin to telling people the best way to get rid of a roach problem is with 10 guys carrying around sawed off golden shotguns. Sure they're going to kill some roaches, hell they might kill all the roaches, but when they get done you're going to have 1 hell of a mess to clean up.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Well in order to eliminate the federal deficit is going to require tax increases and cutbacks(probably just reductions in the rate of increase). No politician wants to seriously discuss this because they will get hammered in the polls.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Originally posted by: Brovane
Well in order to eliminate the federal deficit is going to require tax increases and cutbacks(probably just reductions in the rate of increase). No politician wants to seriously discuss this because they will get hammered in the polls.

Why must we have tax increases? In 1999 the Federal Budget and tax collections came in around $1.8 trillion. Now we're at $3.2 trillion. Does the Government honestly need another $1.5 trillion more than they had 9 years ago?

Cut the hell out of spending is what I'd like.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Well what are we going to cut then? The main bug budget items are defense and entitlements.

Also the big question is are the tax cuts of 01 going going to be made permanent because they expire in 2010? The budget projections assume that the tax cuts expire in 2010.