Question Which browser tab(s) hogging resources?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
With multiple tabs open, any way to tell which one or ones are hogging so many resources (CPU and/or RAM)? Prefer Mozilla solution, but for any others will be also good to know.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Wouldn't Windows Task Manager tell you what you needed about resource use?

View attachment 60539

Very strange. I just looked at taskmanager and it does show a line for each tab open in seamonkey, but the only line with any data is the top line (seamonkey). I guess this must be the total for all tabs. All the lines for the tabs are blank, but it does show each tab's title, unlike your example.

Maybe each browser shows differently in taskman?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Very strange. I just looked at taskmanager and it does show a line for each tab open in seamonkey, but the only line with any data is the top line (seamonkey). I guess this must be the total for all tabs. All the lines for the tabs are blank, but it does show each tab's title, unlike your example.

Maybe each browser shows differently in taskman?

I never noticed before now since I don't really ever run Task Manager on my laptop, but the more detailed breakdown in my first post was on my desktop with Windows 10 Pro.

When I looked at what my laptop showed (which runs Windows 10 Home), it doesn't break down the usage like Windows 10 Pro does:

5.jpg

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I'm also running win 10 Pro. It's a mystery.

I also tried running edge, and taskman shows populated data for all the lines & tabs plus several more lines. Like your first example, none of the lines show the tab titles, so you don't know which is which.

I also have chrome, but I figured it probably would be same as edge, since the latter is basically chrome, but dorked up by microsoft :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm also running win 10 Pro. It's a mystery.

I also tried running edge, and taskman shows populated data for all the lines & tabs plus several more lines. Like your first example, none of the lines show the tab titles, so you don't know which is which.

I also have chrome, but I figured it probably would be same as edge, since the latter is basically chrome, but dorked up by microsoft :)
I played around a bit with Task Manager on my laptop, and it looks like if you go under View - Group by type, it will break down the app's usage like it did on my first post. From there, you can look at all the various processes that each app (like browsers) are using.

6.jpg

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Firefox has a built in task manager that may help.
Thanks, this identifies the individual tabs! Though the memory usage doesn't jive with what I'm seeing in Windows Task Manager's usage for each Firefox.exe instance or Firefox overall usage. Seems like there is much more memory being consumed according to Windows Task Manager than shown by the Firefox Task Manager. But the "Energy Impact" (I guess a proxy for CPU utilization) reported for each tab seems more consistent, which is what I was more interested in.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks, this identifies the individual tabs! Though the memory usage doesn't jive with what I'm seeing in Windows Task Manager's usage for individual Firefox.exe instances. Seems like there is much more memory being consumed per Windows Task Manager than shown by the Firefox Task Manager. But the "Energy Impact" (I guess a proxy for CPU utilization) reported for each tab seems consistent, which is what I was more interested in.
I can confirm the difference that you're seeing between the two task managers.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I started the thread because of those situations where you have multiple tabs open, and you know from system responsiveness that ONE of them is going balls deep on resources but unable to tell which, without a more time-consuming process of elimination.