Which brand of RX 480 do you like best?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys. I cancelled the deal.

Now I need to decide what card to get. My options are basically Powercolor, Sapphire or HIS. All of them have custom coolers. I'm thinking of going with Powercolor. But now I need to decide between 4GB and 8GB.

Use: mostly gaming, but I will use it for mining when not gaming, to try bring some income in. My decision will not be based around mining though.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Now I need to decide what card to get. My options are basically Powercolor, Sapphire or HIS. All of them have custom coolers. I'm thinking of going with Powercolor. But now I need to decide between 4GB and 8GB.

Use: mostly gaming, but I will use it for mining when not gaming, to try bring some income in. My decision will not be based around mining though.

Always go with more VRAM, always. And, especially because it is so much cheaper to do that today compared to only 2 years ago.

Also consider that 4GB VRAM is pretty much EoL today if you are talking about very high/ultra settings in new games. Even at 1080p in some cases.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

I would go with HIS RX480 IceQ X2 8gb then Sapphire, the Powercolor would be bottom of my list IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBWs_7vRWkA

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Regardless how you look at it ,you can get better cards then the Powercolor for same or less money, why pay more for inferior 480 card?

It was the cheapest when I bought it (but prices fluctuate) and the big cooler makes it a very very quiet card.

And inferior in what?
When you decide to get a watercooler and/or add a couple volts to try to get 1600 MHz OCs?

So, if the OP plan is doing that sure.
Otherwise you can just flash the "unlock bios" and have a very very quiet card that sits at 1360 MHz core out of the box once you start playing.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
It was the cheapest when I bought it (but prices fluctuate) and the big cooler makes it a very very quiet card.

And inferior in what?
When you decide to get a watercooler and/or add a couple volts to try to get 1600 MHz OCs?

So, if the OP plan is doing that sure.
Otherwise you can just flash the "unlock bios" and have a very very quiet card that sits at 1360 MHz core out of the box once you start playing.

Don't get me wrong, end of the day it's his decision.

I still think there are better cards out there, but when I see this statement about Powercolor 480 it does not fill me and I bet a lot of users with confidence.

The components used in the PCB are really cheap. The VRM is rated at 46 amps (25 degrees Celsius) and 34 amps (80 degrees Celsius). For comparison, the reference RX 480 is rated at 66 amps (25 degrees Celsius) and 50 amps (80 degrees Celsius), which is significantly better. PowerColor has stated to not run Furmark on this card, because it just can't handle it without breaking. For full details, [this YouTube video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nEbpn6NKPQ) by Actually Hardware Overclocking breaks down the problem.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002

Go with MSI if you can. I've had both PowerColor and MSI and MSI has better/quieter cooler. Sapphire RX480 has been reviewed as running hot and loud. No idea on HIS, might be a pleasant surprise but if you don't want to gamble go with MSI.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I have installed my XFX RX480 GTR Black edition today, very impressed with cooling, did full hour gaming and temps at 50c with fans at 0 RPM, fans don't turn on until 60c.

As to the MSI that's another very good option, but watch out for loose heatsink (yours probably be fine since this is not normal) one guy posted his was moving around on his MSI, https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18760699 .

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
I'm quite budget sensitive, so while I want an aftermarket card, my budget limits me to HIS or Powercolor.

But, now I need to decide on what card to get. These are my options, converted from local currency to USD, including tax but not shipping.

HIS 470 4GB IceQ X2 Oc - $229
Powercolor 480 4GB - $257
HIS 480 4GB IceQ X2 Oc - $268
HIS 480 8GB IceQ X2 OC - $300

And these are the cheapest options available to me. Did I mention that we get raped when it comes to computer components in South Africa?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I'm quite budget sensitive, so while I want an aftermarket card, my budget limits me to HIS or Powercolor.

But, now I need to decide on what card to get. These are my options, converted from local currency to USD, including tax but not shipping.

HIS 470 4GB IceQ X2 Oc - $229
Powercolor 480 4GB - $257
HIS 480 4GB IceQ X2 Oc - $268
HIS 480 8GB IceQ X2 OC - $300

And these are the cheapest options available to me. Did I mention that we get raped when it comes to computer components in South Africa?

The HIS use same design has XFX (not sure if HIS makes XFX or other way round or just a copy design job since internally PCBs are the same, also with same quality components),

HIS earned our respect with superior engineering, 6 phase power, VRM cooling pads, all copper heat pipes, the IceQ 2 cooling solution and great overclocking. If you want the king of the jungle roaring in your chassis, the HIS RX 480 IceQ X2 Roaring Turbo 8GB is a good choice for 1440p and rules the jungle at 1080p, earning it the Bjorn3D Golden Bear Award.

https://www.bjorn3d.com/2016/09/rx-480-iceq-x2-roaring-turbo-8gb-review/8/

Another review here http://videocardz.com/review/his-radeon-rx-480-iceq-x2-roaring-turbo-8gb-review

I would go with HIS 8GB in your list above.

One last point do make sure it'll fit inside your case (whatever you buy), since my XFX just about fitted (very tight fit) with no room to spare unless I removed my dvd/HD cage.

Last edited: