Question Which brand is good for Thunderbolt 4 NVMe SSD enclosure?

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022
Hello, I am looking for a Thunderbolt 4 40Gbps NVMe SSD enclosure. Which brands and products do you recommend?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022

I got this one based on being both TB/USB and 7th gen chipset because I could not find any 8th gen models. The older chips only do TB unless they have a second USB chip in them.

I also tested it with several cables for the best speeds and the one that comes with it hit the best speeds along with some of the most expensive and cheapest cables.

For the best speeds with the sn770 multi thread the copies to max out the speed. I tested with four different drives that should have been able to hit max speed but didn't.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022

jak234

Dec 23, 2022
Hi Tech Junky,
you are probably the same user who reviewed the acasis tbu 401.
I have some questions as you seem to know a lot.
the SN770 does not seem to have dram. Isnt that a problem?
till 300gb the write speed is fast and then drops to around 500mb/sec, right?
Is it possible to attach another nvme via the second thunderbolt slot which provides 15w?
Did you try to use the hub with just 60w delivery? Would be fabatsic if that would work...
I have an macbook air m2 but this should work very well right?
Thank you for your help
I nust saw it is not the tbu 401 you reviewed, but maybe you still know the chipset of it and can answer my questions?

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Hi Tech Junky,
you are probably the same user who reviewed the acasis tbu 401.
I have some questions as you seem to know a lot.
the SN770 does not seem to have dram. Isnt that a problem?
till 300gb the write speed is fast and then drops to around 500mb/sec, right?
Is it possible to attach another nvme via the second thunderbolt slot which provides 15w?
Did you try to use the hub with just 60w delivery? Would be fabatsic if that would work...
I have an macbook air m2 but this should work very well right?
Thank you for your help
I nust saw it is not the tbu 401 you reviewed, but maybe you still know the chipset of it and can answer my questions?
All of the info I tested is here https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/thunderbolt-enclosure.2604990/

Reactions: jak234