Which Board

Silversolder

Feb 17, 2005
:confused: I have no Idea how to post properly.
I'm still learning how to use this forum stuff.
I have not built a computer since 1995 and now everything is so changed.
I need help choosing a pci-e board.
I don't plan to overclock. I do plan to video edit.
I plan to use a AMD processor somewhere in the $300.00 price
range dual core I guess? I want to use the X1800XL ATI All in Wonder card.
I don't mind paying near 250 for a good board.
Any suggestions out there? All help will be very appreciated.
I need a case and PS too, memoryand help with what fan to use for processor cooling.
Thanks
Well here goes a try again:eek:

Wentelteefje

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
So in fact you need a bit more than just a motherboard... :p Normally that's "General Hardware", but I'll answer your questions anyway...

Motherboard: EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra or MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum... Two boards that are very stable and have a lot of features ... They are very good, but cost less than your aforementioned $ 250... ;)

Processor: AMD Opteron 165 OEM, AMD Opteron 165 Retail or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Retail... I know you're not going to overclock, but I would nonetheless suggest an Opteron... They have a larger cache than the X2 (video editing benefits from this), but run a tad slower... However, if you want it to be faster, overclocking (it's the cheapest way for extra performance) these is guaranteed to have better results than the X2's...

The reason for listing an OEM version (without cooler) is because I'd advise getting a better HSF than the standard one... This AC Freezer 64 Pro is a lot quieter, and cools much better as well... So if you'd pick the Opteron, maybe get the OEM and buy this one with it...

Case: The case is somewhat personal... Some want it shiny, while others prefer a sober one... What's your taste like?

Power Supply: Enermax Liberty 500W or Antec NeoHE 500W... They are expensive, but worth it... These are among the best power supplies available on the market... My favourite is the Enermax, but whichever one you pick, they're both absolutely great, having a modular cabling system (you plug in which cables you need), Active PFC, SLI "support" (certified powerful enough to power two graphics cards ;)) and a very high efficiency (which makes sure that nearly all of the power input is "used", so there is practically no loss of power, which would mean more heat)...

Memory: G.Skill 2x1GB DDR PC3200... No extreme low timings, but very good memory for its price... It will run in dual channel mode in your motherboard, providing higher memory bandwidth this way...

These are my recommendations...

BTW Welcome to you both! :)

Silversolder

Feb 17, 2005
I kind of like the Gigabyte case. What do you think?
GIGABYTE GZ-FSCA1-ANS 3D AURURA (SILVER) FULL TOWER NO POWER SUPPLY 5x5.25" 2x3.5" 5x3.5"(hidden) W/ FRONT I/O CONNECTOR, 120mm CASE FAN x 3
$139.99

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna need a lot of help. And yours is greatly appreciated!

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
The Aurora is a really great case. Other than that... look up at Wentelteefje's post for my reccomendations.

Silversolder

Feb 17, 2005
Thanks for all the help:)

If I plan to use the ATI All In Wonder X1800XL will this board still be the
correct pick?:confused:
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Is the NvidianFOrce4 onboard video? Can I just turn it off in the BIos?

Help?