Which 9700 Pro???

PClark99

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
I am thinking about getting a 9700 Pro, I have narrowed it down to the Tyan or the Hercules. I know I will pay a premium to get either card but I figure if I am gonna drop 3 bills+ might as well go for the gusto.

My question is simple. Does anybody here have either of these cards and how do you like it so far? Any problems?

PhoenixOfWater

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2002
I have been looking at get a 9700 Pro too and i i'm thinking about get the Hercules card..i have hear good thinks about the card and it looks good too :)

MarkFahey

Feb 1, 2003
Get ready to drop 300 bills plus another 75! for the Hercules card - YIKES! Be smart and go with the Built by ATI at $320 or the Sapphire at $318. In my opinion they are all the same card with the same specs. The only thing the Hercules has over the others is a few more heatsinks.

PClark99

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Originally posted by: MarkFahey
Get ready to drop 300 bills plus another 75! for the Hercules card - YIKES! Be smart and go with the Built by ATI at $320 or the Sapphire at $318. In my opinion they are all the same card with the same specs. The only thing the Hercules has over the others is a few more heatsinks.

Thanks for nothing. ;)

Actually the Tyan can be had for $354 shipped. Whats another $30-40 I figure, plus hardware monitoring would be nice to have I think.

I put myself out of my misery and am getting the Tyan. I am hoping my first ATI experience goes well.

Mucker

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2001
Get an ATI 9700pro AIW from newegg...extra goodies @ $389 shipped...good bargain, same performance. I bought the crucial for $326 shipped. It was a hard decision for me :)

PClark99

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
I thought about the AIW, but I seriously doubt I would use any of the features.

The cooling of either the Hercules or the Tyan seemed to be top notch.

In the end I thought the HW monitoring of the Tyan was nice.

caboob

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2000
So where did you buy your Tyan, after checking resellerratings about some of the resellers in pricewatch, i've been leery about dealing with them. I was hoping the card would show up at newegg.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just got my tyan card. I was also leery of the listings in pricewatch so i had a friend who owns a local shop try and get it for me. I talked to him about it sat he called tech data yesterday and it arrived today. So far so good.:D

caboob

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2000
I ended up getting the Tyan myself from knowledgemicro.com from ebay. Their reseller rating is above-average and ebay rating is satisfactory for me given some of the negative feedback given from what I judge to be flaky customers. with the volume they move on ebay, it seems that conflicts/mistakes will be impossible to avoid. However, it seems that the 15% restocking fees a sticking point but I hope replacements would go smoother. I'm probably dreaming for sure.

PClark99

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
I paid about $12 more than knowlegemicro because I went for 2 day shipping.

If I went with ground it would have been $2 more.

OMG something was actually cheaper on ebay.