Where's that drool emoticon.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
that thing is longer than the entire freakin' mobo :shocked:

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Looks sexy, but I can't imagine two of those together and them not heating up like a bunch of rabits during mating season. Will need some SERIOUS airflow in your case to keep them working I bet.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
performance increase: 5%

power output increase: 500% ;)

SLI and Xfire work decently, but quad solutions have turned out horrible thus far. For now you're still better off with a single good card than SLI/Xfire (8800GT withstanding)

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

SLI and Xfire work decently, but quad solutions have turned out horrible thus far. For now you're still better off with a single good card than SLI/Xfire (8800GT withstanding)

I was waiting for the "priceless" part of your post a la Mastercard but never got it. :(

On a serious note, did you read any of the preliminary reviews from the Reviews thread? There is a much larger increase in performance than 5%. Crossfire actually scales fairly well...better even than SLI I think.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: thilan29

I was waiting for the "priceless" part of your post a la Mastercard but never got it. :(

On a serious note, did you read any of the preliminary reviews from the Reviews thread? There is a much larger increase in performance than 5%. Crossfire actually scales fairly well...better even than SLI I think.

i was exaggerating (note the 500% increase in power :D)

i'm suspect simply because there's always been a next generation flagship that equalled the current generation's SLI/Xfire

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
i'm suspect simply because there's always been a next generation flagship that equalled the current generation's SLI/Xfire

I was hoping for something similar but since ATI couldn't take the fight to NVidia (performance-wise), G80 has been dragged out for a while. I was considering the 3870x2 but will wait for next-gen as well and just bought a 8800GT to hold me over.

I really hope next-gen will be amazing and not just a 10-20% performance increase.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Actually if you read some of the reviews (like the one by FPSlabs) the cooling on those cards is adequate... adequate to drain out the noise of passing trains.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Well the hot air is exhausted out the back of the case so it's not like its dumping heat into your setup.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007

i was exaggerating (note the 500% increase in power :D)

New MSI 3870X2 $500
Second 3870X2 for XFire $500
Performance Increase over your old card: 25%
The amount of money you'll pour into your new electrity bill: Priceless.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: PCTC2

New MSI 3870X2 $500
Second 3870X2 for XFire $500
Performance Increase over your old card: 25%
The amount of money you'll pour into your new electrity bill: Priceless.

THERE IT IS!!! Thank you. :)