Where's Rollo

GloryField

Mar 9, 2006
I haven't posted/read this section of the forums since last summer. I remember having arguments with Rollo, and his support of Nvidia and public dissing of ATi. I was surprised to come here and not see any of his posts.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Who were you registered as then?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
He got banned/he left for being an AEG undercover marketer. Turns Nvidia and AEG were giving him cards, money and other benefits for advertising and publicizing Nvidia on these as well as a fer other boards.

I remember, my first argument/war on this board was with rollo way back in the day. Hes not a bad person though, just really really pushy, like a salesman.

I think you can still find the original thread where the mods uncovered rollo as an AEG agent. Just do a search for trollo and aeg.

edit: here it is. Its a huge thread aboutthe AEG scandal.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...hreadid=1748857&enterthread=y&arctab=y

It was pretty big and if i remember correctly he didnt exactly take it in stride, ended up qutting or banned after everyone on the forum either ignored him(nvidia fans) or hated him with a passion(ati fans) or jsut got tired of all the flame threads(everyone else)

orangat

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2004
Originally posted by: GloryField
I haven't posted/read this section of the forums since last summer. I remember having arguments with Rollo, and his support of Nvidia and public dissing of ATi. I was surprised to come here and not see any of his posts.

Since last summer? How come you're only registered in March 06?

He got banned not because he was an undercover viral marketeer but because he was creating and feeding frequent Nvidia-ATI flamewars.

He lied about not receiving a single card for free and lied about not being a viral marketeer which got another member banned or locked out for calling him out on it when no-one knew about his relationship with AEG/Nvidia. Then he sought to minimise the issue by calling himself a beta tester.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
This was gold(ahhh...memories:D):

Originally posted by: JimmyH
The following is a fictional story and any relation to any real person is purely coincidental.

Rolloid: You want answers?

Apop: I think I'm entitled to them.

Rolloid: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has advertising. And some of that marketing is guerilla marketing done by greedy men w/ expensive SLI rigs. Who?s gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Turtle and curse the Guerilla Marketers. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that?s Turtle?s ban, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives? You don?t want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don?t talk about at parties, you want me doing guerrilla marketing. You need me. We use words like honor, objectivity, unbiased opinions? we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use?em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor inclinations to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very DECEPTION I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it!! I?d rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up an SLI 7800GTX rig and stand a post. Either way, I don?t give a damn what you think you?re entitled to!

Apop: Did you order the code red on ATI?

Rolloid: (quietly) I did the job they (Guerrilla Marketers) sent me to do.

Rolloid: You?re goddam right I DID!!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: orangat

Since last summer? How come you're only registered in March 06?
:light:

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
Originally posted by: thilan29

The following is a fictional story and any relation to any real person is purely coincidental.

Rolloid: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has advertising. And some of that marketing is guerilla marketing done by greedy men w/ expensive SLI rigs. Who?s gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Turtle and curse the Guerilla Marketers. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that?s Turtle?s ban, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives? You don?t want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don?t talk about at parties, you want me doing guerrilla marketing. You need me. We use words like honor, objectivity, unbiased opinions? we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use?em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor inclinations to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very DECEPTION I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it!! I?d rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up an SLI 7800GTX rig and stand a post. Either way, I don?t give a damn what you think you?re entitled to!

ROFLMAO!!! Moments like those are why I sometimes miss the Rollo. He is the reason I started posting here and I kinda just stayed. His humor was great if his posts wheren't. Does anyone know which forums he goes to now? I might go to some of those just to see some great rollo posts.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: redbox
Originally posted by: thilan29

ROFLMAO!!! Moments like those are why I sometimes miss the Rollo. He is the reason I started posting here and I kinda just stayed. His humor was great if his posts wheren't. Does anyone know which forums he goes to now? I might go to some of those just to see some great rollo posts.

:thumbsup: :laugh:

moonboy403

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
he wasn't exactly bad....after all, i pmed him once and he didn't recommend nvidia over ati

he told me to wait for ati's release and see what's up first

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I don't think Rollo was a bad person. I do think he was extremely biased. I definitely felt he was spinning a pro nVidia campaign but I thought it was just fanboyism. It wasn't until the whole AEG thing came to light that a lot of the things he did made sense.

moonboy403

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
i mean...i thought he was okay

if i have to name a few other "ati/nvidia extremist" here, a few names automatically comes to mind

i didn't have a problem with any of them at all

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: moonboy403
i mean...i thought he was okay

if i have to name a few other "ati/nvidia extremist" here, a few names automatically comes to mind

i didn't have a problem with any of them at all

well everyone is a fanboy. I dont thikn ive seen a poster witout some sort of leaning. I'll be the first to admit that I always root for the underdog, like the whole Seattle Seahawsk v.s. Pittsburgh Steelers thing(I think i was 1 of 2 people in the world hoping for the seahawks) or my bias toward ATi and AMD.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

He went over to the HardOCP forums and then ended up getting banned from there too :)

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
Originally posted by: M0RPH

He went over to the HardOCP forums and then ended up getting banned from there too :)

What did he get banned from there for? Wait aren't they like Anandtech's sister site? That would explain it I guess. Do you know if he is currently at a forum that hasn't banned him?

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Originally posted by: M0RPH

What did he get banned from there for? Wait aren't they like Anandtech's sister site? That would explain it I guess. Do you know if he is currently at a forum that hasn't banned him?

he might be at nvnews, i dont think they would ban him there

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: linkgoron
He got banned

Came back as falllenangell

got banned again.

I thought Crusader was Rollo? Wasn't he the guy that showed up when Rollo was getting roasted and said he had been lurking for five years without joining the forums, and decided he had to join to defend Rollo? I have always assumed they were the same person.