wheres a good place to get 100ft of direct burial, solid ethernet cable at?

Tattare

Mar 4, 2008
I've been on the hunt for 100-150ft of solid copper direct burial ethernet cable with no luck. Seen some premade cables on amazon but when digging deeper its stranded.
Trying to find some so I dont have to buy a 500ft-1000ft box thats going to sit around forever.

Want to run some out to the garage without having to dig more and deal with pvc tubing.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
What do you mean by "it's stranded"? Practically no ethernet cable is stranded wire, whether direct burial or not. If it states something like 8 strands, it should mean 8 solid core wires, the requirement for anything better than 100Mb.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
What do you mean by "it's stranded"? Practically no ethernet cable is stranded wire, whether direct burial or not. If it states something like 8 strands, it should mean 8 solid core wires, the requirement for anything better than 100Mb.
Stranded ethernet wire does exist, and is still predominant in patch cables as well as almost everything that pre-terminated. I have some solid core wire and it is a completely different animal.
I've been on the hunt for 100-150ft of solid copper direct burial ethernet cable with no luck. Seen some premade cables on amazon but when digging deeper its stranded.
Trying to find some so I dont have to buy a 500ft-1000ft box thats going to sit around forever.

Want to run some out to the garage without having to dig more and deal with pvc tubing.
Instead of coax, I'd just bury some rb6 coax if you don't have some already between the house and garage and use a moca adapter on each end.

If you have any type of phone wire between the house and garage you could also just use a vdsl ethernet extender on that to get 100Mbs. And if the house and garage are on the same main breaker, I'd give powerline adapters a shot as well. These would be much easier solutions to implement.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I assumed we were talking about non-terminated bulk cable. I would not go to the trouble of burying terminated cables to merely save putting in a wall jack.

However, 150ft solid core, terminated, direct burial CAT6 cable w/PE insulation isn't hard to find either, $55:

As far as unterminated, there's also gel filled cat5e 250ft $48/$50:

Gel Cat6 250ft $69:

Why go to the trouble (expense) of using adapters? Direct burial cable is not hard to find and quite capable of a <150ft run, unless something less than GbE speed is acceptable and it already had a powerline run which was viable.

I don't know which powerline ethernet adapters have good performance at 150', but I'd guess you'll get less than 500Mb throughput. I could be wrong, tech gets better over time.

Nov 17, 2019
You probably want it in conduit. Critters, rocks and roots can do a number on unprotected small cable, even rated as DB.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Maybe but it could depend on the environment. If there are moles in that vicinity, sure they can wreck havoc on small cables, but rocks and roots not so much.

I mean rocks don't shift much underground and roots are a long term "maybe" scenario. You can rent a cable layer for a small fee and be done, (including redoing it again every decade or so, if needed which it might not) while digging out the trench and snaking it through conduit is a lot more work and expense.

I don't get the gravitation towards taking a simple thing and making it as laborious and expensive as possible. These "what if" scenarios, are just road blocks towards getting it done then time will tell if the normal way of doing it, needs improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEDIYoda

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
^ I assumed we were talking about non-terminated bulk cable. I would not go to the trouble of burying terminated cables to merely save putting in a wall jack.

However, 150ft solid core, terminated, direct burial CAT6 cable w/PE insulation isn't hard to find either, $55:

As far as unterminated, there's also gel filled cat5e 250ft $48/$50:

Gel Cat6 250ft $69:

Why go to the trouble (expense) of using adapters? Direct burial cable is not hard to find and quite capable of a <150ft run, unless something less than GbE speed is acceptable and it already had a powerline run which was viable.

I don't know which powerline ethernet adapters have good performance at 150', but I'd guess you'll get less than 500Mb throughput. I could be wrong, tech gets better over time.
Main reason is that the labor to bury and terminate the cables isn't free, so there's a cost there as well.

You'll definitely have less than 500Mbps with powerline, hence why moca is more attractive.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
I don't get the gravitation towards taking a simple thing and making it as laborious and expensive as possible. These "what if" scenarios, are just road blocks towards getting it done then time will tell if the normal way of doing it, needs improvement.
If you believe that it's just this simple, you're missing a lot of the variables. Pros use conduit exclusively and don't even run copper but fibre to avoid grounding issues. If you want it really done right, it gets more and more expensive. Hence why adapters and other methodologies may work better for the budget and goal.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ That seems like a false argument. You're suggesting something has to be done to be "pro" while the cabling exists and pros do run all sorts of naked cable.

It also doesn't address this topic which was doing that specific thing, not "let's run fiber in conduit instead" then claiming it "may work better for the budget"? That makes no sense whatsoever and no, it has nothing to do with missing variables. The hypothetical "what if" should always be put in the context of "at what cost and effort".

It takes more time to go get a cable trencher (rental) than to put a new 150' cable down. This is a DIY job that takes less than an hour and under $150 total.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEDIYoda
Nov 17, 2019
OP mentions 100-150 of wire. To me, that means including the inside and termination at both ends, making the trench in the range of 75' or so. I've dug that by hand more than once using a narrow shovel. Zero cost other than elbow grease. 3/4" PVC conduit is a couple of bucks a 10' stick.

Including the wire, this could be a sub $100 job.

But those unknown variables include the OP's physical abilities and soil type among others.

Tattare

Mar 4, 2008
Thanks for the replies.
Its going to be running next to a concrete walkway and under a section of it. I just wanted a cheap and quick solution that might hold up for 10 years. Most of this Cat6 being sold on amazon is actually cat5e. Cat5e is fine. Im just going to bite it and buy the big box so I know what i'm getting.

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
^ That seems like a false argument. You're suggesting something has to be done to be "pro" while the cabling exists and pros do run all sorts of naked cable.

It also doesn't address this topic which was doing that specific thing, not "let's run fiber in conduit instead" then claiming it "may work better for the budget"? That makes no sense whatsoever and no, it has nothing to do with missing variables. The hypothetical "what if" should always be put in the context of "at what cost and effort".

It takes more time to go get a cable trencher (rental) than to put a new 150' cable down. This is a DIY job that takes less than an hour and under $150 total.
This isn't just throwing a cable down if you want it to work reliably. I've seen the effects of cutting corners like you're recommending. It's not pretty after even a short time in bad conditions.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Thanks for the replies.
Its going to be running next to a concrete walkway and under a section of it. I just wanted a cheap and quick solution that might hold up for 10 years. Most of this Cat6 being sold on amazon is actually cat5e. Cat5e is fine. Im just going to bite it and buy the big box so I know what i'm getting.
That will be a quick and dirty solution, but you may not even get a few years out of it depending on the environmental conditions.

You definitely need to consider grounding issues if all the electrical doesn't go to one panel. You can zap networking equipment pretty quickly if there's a ground differential.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ So you'd throw even more money into it with grounded panels to introduce yet another potential fault?

Good grief, this is a ground isolated, $60 wire with a $10 switch on the end if that is needed. If you want to earth ground the insulator, then do that at only one end of the run.

Odds are that spending multiple times as much money and effort, won't get the same return in multiple years longer service.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
^ So you'd throw even more money into it with grounded panels to introduce yet another potential fault?

Good grief, this is a ground isolated, $60 wire with a $10 switch on the end if that is needed. If you want to earth ground the insulator, then do that at only one end of the run.

Odds are that spending multiple times as much money and effort, won't get the same return in multiple years longer service.
I don't think you're understanding how the ethernet cable itself will carry any ground differential if there are different panels.

You can put your hack job to work for yourself and run with it, but that's too yahoo seat of the pants to work for most other people who don't have unlimited luck.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I don't think you're understanding that there are no panels, and no earth ground unless one chooses to do so to (only) one end of a cable shield.

It's not luck, you are just suggesting a more expensive way to introduce more problems.

It's not a hack job. They make direct burial cables for exactly this purpose. Somehow you can't see the forest for the trees, thinking more complex is better with what-if scenarios that either don't apply or aren't worth the bother.

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
^ I don't think you're understanding that there are no panels, and no earth ground unless one chooses to do so to (only) one end of a cable shield.

It's not luck, you are just suggesting a more expensive way to introduce more problems.

It's not a hack job. They make direct burial cables for exactly this purpose. Somehow you can't see the forest for the trees, thinking more complex is better with what-if scenarios that either don't apply or aren't worth the bother.
Every device using electrical power has a ground, and that ground is also used by ethernet spec. If the ground on each end of the cable isn't the same, voltage is induced over the ethernet cable which is not supposed to be there.

Direct burial is designed for proper site prep too. I highly doubt any of those companies will warranty their cable in the manner in which you are recommending to install it, which is just throwing it on the ground and then 'tucking it in'. I consider anything outside of spec a bit of a hack job. It may work, but it's not designed to.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Every device using electrical power has a ground, and that ground is also used by ethernet spec. If the ground on each end of the cable isn't the same, voltage is induced over the ethernet cable which is not supposed to be there.

That ground is not earth ground. It is designed to operate fine with equipment operating off the floating grounds this equipment uses. Further, that ground is not even needed. Is this where you went wrong? You think it needs a common ground at 0V difference? No, it does not.

Direct burial is designed for proper site prep too.

"Proper" is a weasel word. No. There is nothing "proper" about what you suggest, in this scenario.

I highly doubt any of those companies will warranty their cable in the manner in which you are recommending to install it, which is just throwing it on the ground and then 'tucking it in'. I consider anything outside of spec a bit of a hack job. It may work, but it's not designed to.

Any of what companies? You mean the cable manufacturer? It either works or it doesn't, and of course you should choose cable spec'd for the purpose, not just some regular PVC insulated indoor cable. I do recommend trying the cable before burying it.

A pro recognizes you not only don't use a cannon to kill a mosquito, but also that this is not a mission critical system were a few hours of downtime would cost many thousands of dollars, but especially recognizes that this specific job, does not require anything you've suggested.

This is ridiculous. Ethernet uses twisted pairs, not a common ground reference, let alone an earth ground reference.

Last edited:

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Put the damn cable into a PVC pipe and be done with it. It's your insurance from having to do the digging twice should something happen to the buried cable and the flexibility to add another cable run with ease should the need arise.

Reactions: skyking and Steltek

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I recommend calling electric supply houses or home security installers in your area. They'll probably sell it to you by the foot and not charge shipping. If you buy a box, you may get a better price per foot, but maybe not overall. Ethernet changes enough, I wouldn't want to get stuck with the current stuff if they make improvements and change standards in the next year or two. I have half a box of CAT5 laying around that works, but is basically obsolete to most people because it won't hit gig speeds. I may end up using it for speaker or arduino wire.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Put the damn cable into a PVC pipe and be done with it. It's your insurance from having to do the digging twice should something happen to the buried cable and the flexibility to add another cable run with ease should the need arise.

This. I can tell you from experience that I have never once run a direct burial cable of any major length where I didn't come to regret not placing it in a PVC conduit. I've done it enough times with coax to learn that lesson well, and I suspect ethernet will be even worse than coax.

BTW, if you use a gel impregnated cable, make sure to terminate it at the building and run only non-gel cable inside. Otherwise, the gel will eventually leak and make a mess (especially if you happen to run it in a hot attic as a neighbor of mine found out).

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ And I have direct burial coax that's held up fine. There is no reason to expect ethernet to do worse if you have equal quality cable (sheathing).

This whole topic could have literally been, find it on amazon, it gets delivered a day or two later, the same day you rent the cable trencher and spend an hour installing it.

Even if direct burial cable fails eventually, you could lay it 5 times with less manual labor and time spent, but far before that happens, you'd have moved on, to another residence or to a newer network standard.

Do not think you are going to pull a new ethernet (or fiber optic) cable through 150' of conduit to replace the old, unless you use larger conduit which then raises and cost and labor again, even that factor being more burden than stringing a bare burial cable again.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
If I'm going to the trouble of doing any digging it's going to be for a conduit. 3/4" conduit is plenty and cheap, and If you don't have any bends in it it is cake to pull anything else through it later.
I also have 6 or so partials of cat5e and cat6 left over from jobs, so there is that. Besides I hate that f'n icky-pick!

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
That ground is not earth ground. It is designed to operate fine with equipment operating off the floating grounds this equipment uses. Further, that ground is not even needed. Is this where you went wrong? You think it needs a common ground at 0V difference? No, it does not.

"Proper" is a weasel word. No. There is nothing "proper" about what you suggest, in this scenario.

Any of what companies? You mean the cable manufacturer? It either works or it doesn't, and of course you should choose cable spec'd for the purpose, not just some regular PVC insulated indoor cable. I do recommend trying the cable before burying it.

A pro recognizes you not only don't use a cannon to kill a mosquito, but also that this is not a mission critical system were a few hours of downtime would cost many thousands of dollars, but especially recognizes that this specific job, does not require anything you've suggested.

This is ridiculous. Ethernet uses twisted pairs, not a common ground reference, let alone an earth ground reference.
I've read enough about people doing it your way and frying equipment. Proper specs are never 'weasel words'. It's how the world actually works reliably without falling apart.

Pro's don't half ass. You're looking for a half-assed solution. No pro would want their name on a job like that.

Everything uses an earth ground in some form or fashion--it's kinda how electricity works...