Where's a good place to buy wholesale computer hardware & OS's?

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
A friend and I are going into business together building & selling secure home & business computers. It will be a small specialized business that is just as much for fun as to make a living. I have no idea however where to start looking to make volume purchases. My primary concern now is where to buy windows Xp and Vista. It has always sickened me what a single windows OS cost. Is it possible to save some money by purchasing windows in small volumes of say 5-15 at a time? Also where are some decent places to order hardware? We will be building approximately 10 complete computers at a time.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
10 PC's isn't bulk. Maybe if you want to build 1000 at a time, then you'll get vendor discounts.

For 10 Windows licenses, I think Newegg has packs like that.
Edit: Ok, they seem to only have 3-packs.

But good luck competing with Dell and Friends, especially on the customer support end. ;)

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
It would probably be cheaper to just buy from Dell, remove their logo or toss everything in a custom case, and then sell it.

When you say a small specialized business, what do you mean by specialized? What kind of advantages do you have that others don't or that isn't being provided? What are your customers doing now and why would they go for your solution? Why hasn't someone already done this?

You have a lot of questions to answer, but if you just want to sell a few units and have fun putting together some computers, then there's no better learning experience than just trying. If it happens to work out, then that's great, but at the very least, trying means you'll get experience.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: yamadakun
What are secure home & business computers?

And don't do it.

the bottom has completely dropped out.

If you want to do anything that might be profitable in the field, do after market stuff...software and hardware installations and upgrades, even training if you are feeling adventurous. BB pretty much bends over anyone that comes into the store to get any work done on their computers.

You can't possibly compete with the large established companies in new pc's unless you have something unique.