Where's a good place to buy a security screen door?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Home Depot, Lowe's or a smaller hardware store are the obvious options - any suggestions?

I figure I'll talk to them about how to handle mail also, but any comments on that feel free.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
One that's meant to provide good security against a criminal, that would require some effort from them to open.

So heavy duty or an actual screen? Screens are useless for security.

Besides, windows are easy to break.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
So heavy duty or an actual screen? Screens are useless for security.

Besides, windows are easy to break.
Have you never seen a decorative steel bar or wrought iron door backed by screen?

Home depot or lowes. You could also have something built at your local weld shop.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I have heard of screen doors, and security doors. Never heard of security screen door. I guess it's a security door with screen.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Have you never seen a decorative steel bar or wrought iron door backed by screen?

Home depot or lowes. You could also have something built at your local weld shop.

I believe he is from Canada were instead of thieves, they have roaming packs of gentlemen that actually leave free stuff at the victims' doorsteps.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think I just need a handyman on retainer, sheesh.
This is actually a good idea.

Around us there is a handyman company called Thrifty Nickel, they do lots of basic repairs at affordable rates. For things they don't do themselves, they often can recommend or refer another organization.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I believe he is from Canada were instead of thieves, they have roaming packs of gentlemen that actually leave free stuff at the victims' doorsteps.
We have that in my neighborhood. Sometimes the packages get left at other houses, and I just take them assuming a mistake was made. I have no idea why they thought I wanted tampons, but I'm digging the bluetooth speaker for my phone.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We have that in my neighborhood. Sometimes the packages get left at other houses, and I just take them assuming a mistake was made. I have no idea why they thought I wanted tampons, but I'm digging the bluetooth speaker for my phone.

It's good to know that you have no personal ethics...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I can't think of any screen material that would be strong enough for someone who wants to break it. Metal screen is somewhat solid but a knife will probably still cut through it.

You could maybe use rebar mesh and then regular screen (for the bugs). Though if they cut through it they can probably just reach the handle through the grid.

Get an alarm system if you are worried and make sure your insurance covers break and enter. You may even save on your insurance by having the alarm system.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I can't think of any screen material that would be strong enough for someone who wants to break it. Metal screen is somewhat solid but a knife will probably still cut through it.

You could maybe use rebar mesh and then regular screen (for the bugs). Though if they cut through it they can probably just reach the handle through the grid.

Get an alarm system if you are worried and make sure your insurance covers break and enter. You may even save on your insurance by having the alarm system.

Ya, I don't expect it to stop someone willing to really try to break it - it's meant to make it pretty hard. No longer keep insurance. Which will suck after the earthquake destroys it.