Where to wall mount TV/Height/Distance

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
So I have two options:

Mount my 55 inch LCD TV above the fireplace which would place it about a foot above eye level on an tilting mount and between 3-10 feet away from the viewers on the couches.

Mount it in a far corner of the room at eye level and between 7 and 18 feet away from viewers on couches. The only problem is that it would be in a corner leading to an akward viewing angle for some folks.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
My 42" plasma is mounted about 1' above eye level from center screen. I also tilt it down since it does sit slightly higher than viewing level. Without seeing your exact room setup, I would think above the fireplace would be fine.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
For the love of people's necks, please do not mount it above the fireplace. It may not seem like much but having to constantly crane your neck slightly back will begin to annoy you and your other viewers. I would recommend trying to find a location where it is at eye level.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
For the love of people's necks, please do not mount it above the fireplace. It may not seem like much but having to constantly crane your neck slightly back will begin to annoy you and your other viewers. I would recommend trying to find a location where it is at eye level.

:\ I've been doing it since Nov 2003. I'll let you know when I have neck problems and/or anyone complains about it.

Now, I will say that the OP mentioned a 3 ft. minimum. I sit around 10 - 12 ft away 98% of the time and ~7 ft. the rest. I'm not sure how 3 ft. would be but that does seem kinda close.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010

We don't complain at all about it. 1' center height above eye level really isn't bad. I prefer having a TV slightly higher than lower. I think they look strange bolted to a wall at waist level...

Claudius-07

Dec 4, 2009
I just finished mounting my 52" in my living room. I have an other post here about sound bars. Anyhow my options were on top of the fireplace, which was how the room was designed back when it was built, or I had to come up with another idea. The problem is that above the fireplace was going to be just too high at least for my tastes and those of my wife. We ended up going on a wall in the corner and moved the couches around. However, it is still above eye level, not quite as high as it would have been above the fireplace but still higher.

Also our fireplace being gas, there is an incredible amount of heat going on obviously when it's on but also most of the time it's off since the pilot light is always on. I sat for hours trying to figure out where I would put the receiver, sound bar and cable box if I had placed it over the fireplace and how to deal with the heat. That was another reason I ended up going on the wall to its side on the right of my room. The only sucky thing is that that corner receives a lot of light, unlike the wall above the fireplace. Just had to set my tv up again to get a brighter picture is all.

gar655

Mar 4, 2008
A fireplace is nothing but a waste of space. No I know ever uses them. The absolute worst place to put a TV.

Rip out the fire place and put the TV on a nice new wall. :)

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
For height of the TV, the rule of thumb is that the bottom of the screen should be no higher than the eye height of the person watching it in their typical viewing location (i.e. if you intend to sit on a couch, take a piece of string and hold it up to your eyes from the floor, and use that length as the height for the bottom of the TV screen itself (not the bottom of the TV set, but the actual picture)). The reason for this is to remove neck and eye strain. Grant it, this rule is based on ideal TV size and viewing distances, so if you have a larger TV and/or a smaller distance between you and the set, you will want to adjust the screen lower on the wall.