Where to get various connectors for square tube steel?

morkus64

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2004
Got a little project going, and I'm going to need a way to connect square steel tube (1") in various ways (T, L, 45, corner, etc) without welding (needs to be taken apart and put back together several times).

Where would I go looking for this kind of thing? Went to Home Depot, but all of their steel tube and connectors seem to be round (for plumbing, mostly).

TIA!

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
If they don't have it at Kings they don't make it.

In LA, Dallas, Baltimore.

linky

morkus64

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2004
Originally posted by: grohl
If they don't have it at Kings they don't make it.

In LA, Dallas, Baltimore.

linky

While I do appreciate your enthusiasm, and they have a great variety of more decorative and obscure things, they don't seem to have much in the way of steel fittings at all, just basic angles and Ts

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
You could use 4 bolts ( 2 in each tube ) and 2 pieces of flat steel on opposite sides to attach pieces together - it'd be a lot of work, but you'll be able to take it apart fairly easily. I don't think I've ever seen rectangular tubing fittings like plumbing fittings anywhere.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: morkus64
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
mcmaster.com might have what you need.

thanks for the link - nice selection of round, but I don't really see much in the way of square fittings.

If McMaster doesn't have it it's probably pretty hard to find. Your best bet is to go into your local metal supply place and describe what you're looking for.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Cut-off saw, wire feed welder, the right size square tubing, make your own.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
I don't think there are much in the way of connectors for square tube steel.

Either have a shop weld it for you, or buy a decent welder and learn how to do it yourself.

Or build it with 80/20 if you don't want to deal with the hassle. This option can be a little spendy.

morkus64

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2004
Maybe I should descibe what I'm trying to do better - basically, I need to build a frame, 8' x 12', which is as light as possible, durable, goes together and comes apart easily (in 15 minutes or less), has no bracing, and can hold a light weight (maybe 100 pounds suspended from the top beam). It will have some bracing to hold it upright. It basically will serve as a holder for a backdrop.

The big question mark for me is to span that 12' without bending.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe I should descibe what I'm trying to do better - basically, I need to build a frame, 8' x 12', which is as light as possible, durable, goes together and comes apart easily (in 15 minutes or less), has no bracing, and can hold a light weight (maybe 100 pounds suspended from the top beam). It will have some bracing to hold it upright. It basically will serve as a holder for a backdrop.

Sounds like you need extruded aluminum 80/20 type stuff.

By the way, my company buys square tubular steel from Jorgenson Steel (we're a machine/tooling plant).

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Have you thought about just plain steel pipe? 12' of 1 1/4" pipe would probably not be all that heavy. All you would need is a pipe wrench to attach elbows to the sides.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Auto-asyphixation eroticism?

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Auto-asyphixation eroticism?

This shall now be referred to as doing "The Carradine."