Question Where to find good reviews on video cards

Spiritwalker22

Jan 27, 2022
Where is a good spot for reviews on video cards. Haven't been able to find a good review. Miss the Tech Report before it went downhill.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I recommend Computerbase.de, PCgameshardware.de, TechPowerUp, Tech Spot, GamersNexus, Igorslab..... There's a bunch of them.

I only know a few words in German, but I still love the German hardware reviewers because they tend to be more thorough.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Do they still post here? What are their handles here?

The person who created babeltechreviews (formerly alienbabeltech) is apoppin. He left here a long time ago and doesn’t have a very good reputation among most who have been here long enough to remember him. I personally don’t trust his results whatsoever knowing his history here and with his website.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
He had his issues here, but I've found Babeltech to be very thorough and one of the few sites to cover VR games. Most other sites ignore VR, which is a big use case of cards like the 4090.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
HWUB is my first choice, Nicely organized, and you can skip straight to the big multigame chart.

I watch GN reviews as well, but he tends to futz about during reviews. GN is better when there is an issue to figure out. I often like GN CPU reviews better than HWUB ones.

My next GPU go to is checking the Techpowerup graphs.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i'm with TechPowerUp since 2008. they have expert power consumption measurement equipment, and their comparative tables are very useful.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Three flaws:
His conclusions sometimes lack perspective and are kind of poor, although he improved a bit recently
He can't concentrate information for sh#t
Can't review budget hardware properly
Yeah, he does ramble. He seems really good at investigative journalism, but I still trust his hardware reviews more than any other YouTuber I've found. I like GN and Moore's Law is Dead for hard tech news and Jayz2Cents for goofyness. I've all but given up on Linus.

Aug 16, 2021
Yeah, he does ramble. He seems really good at investigative journalism, but I still trust his hardware reviews more than any other YouTuber I've found. I like GN and Moore's Law is Dead for hard tech news and Jayz2Cents for goofyness. I've all but given up on Linus.
LTT is great at covering every new little thing and informing us about those. He's basically unmatched.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Jayz2Cents is just so click baity, and is always jumping to some conclusion without actual proof. Like when he posted a video about igorslab video and the burning connectors where he immediately proclaimed that "igor found the issue!!?!?!?!", even though igor didn't, and did not claim as much.

Linus reviews are almost more like OPEDs. They are fine for what they are, but rarely have any detailed info. But I do like some of the other random videos that LTT has, and I like the WAN Show.

I really like TPU because of the way they list their charts for everything. Makes it super easy to compare things. GN has lots of very detailed info, but its a bit harder to consume.

Reactions: scineram and Tlh97

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
The person who created babeltechreviews (formerly alienbabeltech) is apoppin. He left here a long time ago and doesn’t have a very good reputation among most who have been here long enough to remember him. I personally don’t trust his results whatsoever knowing his history here and with his website.

Jeeze, might as well have said Rollo. Apoppin. Holy cow, I had forgotten that name until now.

Wasn't Keys (keysplayer2003) wrapped up in that too? I remember him being much more reasonable. I just checked and he sold me a 5900XT back in 2006 via the forums.

Good times.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Jayz2Cents is just so click baity, and is always jumping to some conclusion without actual proof. Like when he posted a video about igorslab video and the burning connectors where he immediately proclaimed that "igor found the issue!!?!?!?!", even though igor didn't, and did not claim as much.

Linus reviews are almost more like OPEDs. They are fine for what they are, but rarely have any detailed info. But I do like some of the other random videos that LTT has, and I like the WAN Show.

I really like TPU because of the way they list their charts for everything. Makes it super easy to compare things. GN has lots of very detailed info, but its a bit harder to consume.
Yeah, that was a mess and I think cost him some credibility. I still like him for fun builds, something I definitely don't do. I don't like the WAN show in general, but I'll check out some segments from time to time. Linus seems to be a mess off-script on a Friday evening.

LTT is great at covering every new little thing and informing us about those. He's basically unmatched.

Yeah, his technology concept videos are pretty good, things like "What is DDR5" and such. Their "regular" computer building/testing content doesn't do it for me. It strikes me as low/medium quality content with high production. The staff is really hit or miss for me as well. Anthony does a pretty job when he hosts, and I like a lot of the other folks whose names escape me, but Linus and his wife can be hard to watch, and Jake is... not my speed. They all seem nice enough, I just want either straight up information or angry, grizzled commentary.

But hey, no hate for anyone who likes LTT. They're in the pantheon of tech channels.

Aug 16, 2021
Yeah, his technology concept videos are pretty good, things like "What is DDR5" and such. Their "regular" computer building/testing content doesn't do it for me. It strikes me as low/medium quality content with high production. The staff is really hit or miss for me as well. Anthony does a pretty job when he hosts, and I like a lot of the other folks whose names escape me, but Linus and his wife can be hard to watch, and Jake is... not my speed. They all seem nice enough, I just want either straight up information or angry, grizzled commentary.

But hey, no hate for anyone who likes LTT. They're in the pantheon of tech channels.
Not only LTT covers new tech fast and explaisn new concepts well, but LTT also dives into a lot of more obscure tech liek old Ostendo ultrawide monitor from last decade. There's just no one like LTT that would cover that stuff. And so many more things. It's really hard to dislike LTT, when you realize that its great at their own niches. I would first consider Greg, JayZ, Bitwit redundant than LTT.

Reactions: scineram

JayMX

Oct 18, 2022
I usually combine German reviewers (hardwarelux.de, computerbase.de, Der8auer) with the rest of the reviewers, who are mostly HardwareUnboxed and Gamers Nexus (although I am having some difficulty to understand what he says lol). Another great YouTube channel I use for reviews and guides is Optimum Tech.

I occasionally watch JayZ or LTT, but not for the science, but because I find them entertaining. And for the vast majority of less tech-savvy people, both of these channels produce excellent and simple-to-understand content.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Lately I've been using Tom's hierarchy for a companion across my ancient card vs the newer cards:

-This is a big missing piece that even sites like TPU that do pretty substantial test runs seem to miss: they only go 1-2 generations back in their testing, which isn't really helpful to the legions of folks still using RX580s and GTX1060s (or my old 980ti).

I appreciate that Toms put some effort (although the chart could still stand to have some QOL improvements) in showing "legacy" hardware in relation to current gens.

Trefugl

Dec 3, 2013
I ended up copying their table and then making my own comparisons and calculate $/fps so I have direct comparisons between GPUs on sale... But I'm weird like that :)