Where to buy home theatre setup, locally or online if the price is right?

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I decided I want to get a 5.1 setup for my bedroom, though I don't NEED it I'd like to get the full effect of movies once in awhile. Plus eventually I'll need one for my living room when I move out on my own again. We've been looking at every place we can think of, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, Target, Cambridge Soundworks, Tweeter, and just can't come up with any system that is reasonably priced (300 dollars or under, only need a basic setup but with certain connectivity), reasonably powerful, and actually available.

Best Buy seems to be the best for local purchases right now, most of their home theatre in a box systems are on sale and would probably be more than enough for my needs (Tweeter is just ridiculously expensive, and CSW isn't very good on prices for what you get anymore; Circuit City's got like 4 systems). They have a KLH HA7000 for only 129, but they're only 20W per channel and a 50W subwoofer. For a bit more, I think 149 on sale, the HA9000 is 35W per channel and 70W sub. These are both systems with a DVD player integrated with the "receiver", with limited connections for other devices, and only Dolby Digital decoding, no DTS or Pro Logic.

Either of those would probably be plenty for me, just in my bedroom, and at those prices it wouldn't be too terrible if I had to buy another set later for a living room and just continue using these in a bedroom. But the external device connections are a problem for a friend who's also planning to buy a system. He'd like to be able to connect his Playstation2 as well as an XBox when he gets one, and the lower priced systems don't have much for inputs. Even systems over 300 dollars often don't have any S-video inputs OR outputs, because the price has all gone into getting high wattage from it.

There are a few other not terribly expensive setups as well, but they're all lacking in connection options, so even though they're good systems they aren't as useful as we'd like.

I'm looking at various things at Best Buy, and the RCA RT2500 looks like an awesome system for only 249, the lack of an integrated DVD player isn't a problem given the capabilities of the receiver and speakers, but they don't actually have the thing, and nobody online seems to yet.

I also was looking at just buying a receiver and separate speaker package, Best Buy has a Kenwood with all the connections and capabilities I could want for 139, but then trying to find a speaker set to go with it is a pain. Every place I look has only a low wattage, cheap set, and then jumps up to expensive sets that aren't even necessarily high wattage. I wouldn't want to spend more than like 150 on the speakers to go with the receiver, but I'd want to get them near 80W or even higher including a 50W or higher sub, since I can get so much just by getting an entire package for a lower price.

Also, Best Buy lists the Philips MX990D package for only 199, but we asked someone at our local store and she checked ALL the stores and none of them actually stock it. (And Best Buy's online store is being redesigned so they can't be ordered.) It looks like that model is discontinued, but even so, that price is absolutely amazing. The few listings we can find for it are still over 300 dollars even for a refurbished system. We'd really like to find a place that has that set, even if it's a bit more than 200 dollars, as it is an awesome setup even if it was a higher price, but we don't want to spend the 500 dollars that it lists for new if there are places selling it for 200 dollars.

They did have in stock an MX995D, which is the same kit but with a 5 disc DVD changer, however there's zero information online for that model, even Philips doesn't acknowledge it. It's an open box but it looks okay, and would be perhaps $280 with the open box discount. Not terrible, but we'd rather save the 80 dollars and have a single disc player.

One thing that is really pissing me off, every time I search for these things online, 90% of the results on Google are for sites that just link to Amazon, and I presume they all get a kickback for any sales from that linking. But it makes searching for anything of this nature absolutely impossible to find real information, all I can ever find are uninformative "store" sites just linking to the same Amazon pages.

So after all that unnecessary explanation, what I want to know is if there are any places besides the ones I've tried that might have decent all in one setups for a reasonable price, that we can go to locally and see them (in Massachusetts), or any places online that aren't referrals to Amazon that would have a wider range. We tried to look for some but narrowing down searches for something so broad is difficult, and we were really focusing on trying to find someone with the Philips systems. etronics.com seemed to have quite a selection but it was the only decent one we found.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
If you want a small BUDGET system, try here. Then go to your local best buy or circuit city (or whatever) and get an inexpensive receiver and you are better off than ANY $300 all-in-one.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Fluance

There considered a really good entry level setup. I've heard they sound very good (They wont compare to the 1000+ systems obviously) but for the money are a steal. Then grab a receiver and be good to go.

You might also look for some JBL KDS1's (I *think* thats the model) I've heard there around the same price but give very very good performance for the money.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Fluance is good if you like cardboard speakers...

I really cant comment. Never used them, and have never heard them. Alot of people on hometheaterforum (Or something like that) said they make a very good entry level system however.

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The Fluance is a little more expensive than I want, though they're quite powerful enough. But they're also a bit bigger than my bedroom can handle. :) I did search the forums to see if there was anything pointing to places to get speaker systems, nothing specifically answered my questions, but I saw the Fluance seemed to be considered good. The AV-HTB looks ike it'd be better for me given the price, only slightly lower power on the floor speakers it seems, but it's still more than I was looking for and also doesn't include a subwoofer.

The HTD looks pretty good though. Too bad they don't have the kit in stock. Nor do they have some of the individual components.

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well I already lost the new job. :) But I have the money for this, if I keep the price down, and I've never been able to control my spending that well. I don't consider this too much like throwing money away though.

I think I've decided on the JVC RX-6030VBK for my receiver (and my friend's). It's only 190 at Circuit City, and buying it online the cheapest found was 160, but getting it shipped 2 day would add 30 dollars anyway. Not that we need it immediately or anything, but like everyone, we want it NOW NOW NOW. This model has great connectivity options, better than the Kenwood VR-606 I was looking at, and has good reviews, the few I found.

Now just need to find some speakers.

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hmm, actually I'm not sure if it's better than the Kenwood now. The connections are confusing. I assume that you can't use for example the composite, S-video AND component connections for the DVD input all at the same time, and then use the particular output needed since it doesn't do output switching. Like, have a PS2 connected to the S-video, a Gamecube (or whatever) connected to the composite, and a DVD player connected to the component inputs, then have each of the output types going to a different connection on the TV (video 1, video 2, video 3). Since you'd only be receiving on the same input/output connection types, the other two types wouldn't interfere, but I presume that it won't work that way and you can only have one type in use at a time. That means there's really only 2 inputs available, "DVD" and "VCR". And without output switching, if you have a device connected by component, you have to use component to connect the TV as well for using that device, and then the other device would have to use S-video or composite if you only have one composite set on your TV.

Man this is confusing and annoying. I certainly don't think I'll ever become a home audio/video enthusiast.

Hmm, the VR-606 doesn't have component input or output, which isn't much of an issue to me, but might be for my friend. It also has 3 total inputs it seems... 2 S-Video (the specs say 3 s-video but I only see two inputs and one output) and 3 composite which I assume are shared inputs for two of them.

And now I see the Panasonic SAHE70K which doesn't have component, but has THREE S-video inputs and 2 optical digital inputs and is also only 189 at Circuit City.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
I picked up a set of speakers when I was on a tight budget (tighter now). Likely the crappiest set this side of Venus, but for me, they work just fine. They give me 5.1 sound and that's what I wanted them for. What brand, you ask? KLH. Paid around $50. ;) When the time comes I'll actually buy some decent ones, but these are speakers I have zero trouble with.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Wow, dude, long-ass post! I'm going to post this here to let you know that I've found that you can't get much more than crap for $300. I'm just starting out with my HT system. I'd really rather spend "only" $300, but semi-decent receivers seem to start at $200+ if you go with refurb stuff online. Mine was $218 on Ebay. As for speakers, well let's just say, that's always the place to put your money, and the sky's the limit there. My "starter" speakers are the JBL NSP1 5 pc. set for about $230 (New, online, Ebay), and while they're very clear (as are most JBLs in general), the tone seems just a little off. So, not including my CD player, I'm already $448 into it, and I'm not exactly satisfied. Maybe that's because I've neglected the sub. Frankly, I can't use a sub in my apartment, so I'm not even going to bother yet.

Now, I'm going to read and get back to you. . .

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
personally, I would just save up money and wait till you can affoard a decent reciever, some nice bookshelf speakers, and nice subwoofer. Trust me you will not regret being patient and waiting (approx ~1500). I live from experience cause I was in the same situation you are in and I jumped and purchased a Pioneer HTIB (which btw, is a decent beginners HT system) from BB. But now six months later I have found out that it is not all that. It gets the job done, but it is not what I want. I want a true theater experiance. I want a subwoofer that goes lower and more accurate imaging and sound stage presentation from my front and rear speakers, so I am in the midst of saving up money again to buy a better system Trust me spending 300-400 bucks now will seem like a good deal, but later in the future you will want something more filling, and will have to start saving again.

But if you dont want to wait, go to Sam's club. They have a decent pioneer system that comes with a reciever, dvd player, and all your speakers for around ~400 bucks. Like I said my Pioneer HTIB does a decent job now. Also, I think BB has a 24 month no intrest thing on any audio purchase over $299.00, you may want to look at that option if your strapped for cash, and want the little extra perks of a $400.00 system.

Ozzie

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not much of an audio nut, so absolutely great sound isn't all that important. I am really half-deaf, too lazy to go to an audiologist and hearing aids would be expensive anyway, and tinnitis masks a lot of sound anyway for me. So a "beginner" system would be perfectly fine for me, and I doubt I will EVER be able to justify spending 1500 dollars on a sound system even when I've got money and could spend it any way I wanted; there will always be other things I'd appreciate the higher cost of.