Where to buy a new iPhone : Apple.com or the Apple Store?

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
My wife wants to move from Android, and wants an iPhone 6S.

I see it's available for delivery at home in two days if bought on Apple.com, and it's also in stock at the local Apple store (40 miles away) for pick up today.

The only reasons I'd want to drive up to the store are
(a) just in case she wants the 6S Plus after she handles it a bit (she insists she does not think so)

(b) if the people in the store help transfer content from her Android phone to the new iPhone. Do they do that, or will I be on my own to do it later? If they don't, I might as well save myself the drive and order it online, right?

Sudden thought - will I fare better if buying at other places, like Best Buy?

note - we have T-Mobile, and plan to buy the phone outright (no payment plans).

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Does she carry a purse? The 6s+ is pretty big, perfect if she uses a purse, not so great if she carries in her pocket.

Best reason to buy in store is to add Apple Care during purchase, otherwise, I'd suggest picking up one from swappa, save a few bucks, still under warranty, so if something's wrong, you can get warranty work done.

Use the Android app "Move to iOS" (by Apple) to do the data transfer, it's pretty slick.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.movetoios

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-6s-tmobile/us

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-6s-a1688-unlocked/us

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
If you get it at the physical store, often they will give you a free SIM card too if necessary.

Jembo

Jun 18, 2014
Sometimes you can save some money or get a gift card or something buying from Best Buy(in Canada at least).

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Sometimes you can save some money or get a gift card or something buying from Best Buy(in Canada at least).

You can't buy an iPhone outright at Best Buy Canada. You have to sign a contract.

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
No difference between those two options... YMMV. Might check with your wireless provider to see if they are offering any deals or call them up and entice them with your business if they sweeten the pot.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
Thanks y'all.

I did not know of swappa before. How do they guarantee the device is without trouble?

Could not go the Apple store, so managed to drop by Best Buy. Incredible that their price for the same device is $50 more than on Apple.com, for no extras! Also, they don't sell me a T-mobile device: instead, I could only buy it for AT&T, Sprint or Verizon (though online they have an option to buy 'unactivated for near $800), and then I'd need to get it unlocked by calling customer service. I just up and left.

Good idea - I'll check with T-Mobile too.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Just buy from a seller with a few sales on swappa. I've had no problems.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
iPhones use their own size sim card, so if she is coming from an android, it isn't going to fit.
It's a nano-SIM. Nano-SIMs are a regular standard (even if it was a forced one, from Apple). It depends on the phone, but recent Android phones use nano-SIMs as well.

But whatever you do, don't cut a micro-SIM down to nano-SIM size. It will work, but it's a risk, since micro-SIMs are slightly thicker than nano-SIMs. You run the risk of getting the SIM stuck in the phone if it's not thin enough.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
iPhones use their own size sim card, so if she is coming from an android, it isn't going to fit.

And that's wrong.

There are 3 sizes, standard, micro and nano. You can trim them with scissors if you have the wrong size, I actually have a SIM card sizer that trims them perfectly.

Apple does not use a proprietary sized SIM card.

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
And that's wrong.

There are 3 sizes, standard, micro and nano. You can trim them with scissors if you have the wrong size, I actually have a SIM card sizer that trims them perfectly.

Apple does not use a proprietary sized SIM card.
There are actually 4 sizes. The original ones are huge.

But as I mentioned above, cutting a micro-SIM to nano-SIM size is not recommended, mainly because the card thickness isn't the same.

Similarly, you shouldn't cut a mini-SIM to micro-SIM size, since a mini-SIM is thicker than a micro-SIM.

Note that I've done both the mini-SIM --> micro-SIM cut and the micro-SIM to nano-SIM cut and had success with both, but only did so for emergencies (ie. local stores sold out of proper sized SIMs). I've read horror stories of expensive repair shop bills occuring since the cut-down SIMs got stuck. It's less of a problem with those phones with removable backs where you can easily access the SIM (eg. behind the battery), but if you have a phone with a slide-in tray, using a cut-down SIM is a risk.