Where Should I Shop for Car Insurance?

Kenji4861

Banned
Jan 28, 2001
I heard of progressive auto insurance and Geico.. but in everyone's opinion, which ones are the best?

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
If you're going to have multiple policies, like renters and auto, consider one of the larger companies like State Farm or USAA.

techfuzz

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
I've got some good news and some bad news, we have to shut down AT... the good news, I saved money on my car insurance. :)

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Allstate has been good to me. Godawful cheaper the what one of those online ones gave me (I cant remember, it wasnt geico but the other always being advertised)

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
Wawanesa

I'm 26 M
350Z
no tickets or accidents in the past 5 years

full coverage was $1100

Just to give you an idea of what they charge.

Their customer service is pretty good too because my friend had his 99 prelude stolen and it was found burnt to the ground. They gave him a $18000 check in a few days.

Dec 1, 2003
Right now I have car insurance through Farm Bureau. I only pay 77/mo (924/yr) for my coverage...pretty cheap I think! (I'm 22, female, drive a 2000 Focus Sport, no tickets or accidents). We have our renter's and jewelry insurance thru State Farm, which we are also pleased with.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Insurance will depend on where you live and what car you drive more then the company.

Some people Company A is best. some its B.

With car insurance do you want just liability or full coverage. If juts liability then call EVERYBODY and get the cheapest. If full coverage then find a place that is fair priced but more freindly just in case YOU ever have to make a claim.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Depending on where you live and what you drive is going to make a big difference in cost compared to other people. Just call around to a bunch of places, then decide what insurance company has the lowest rates for the level of customer service you're willing to accept. IMHO, large companies like Progressive, Geico, and State Farm will give you a fair deal, maybe not the best, but their customer service is often leaps and bounds better than the low-ball companies.

techfuzz

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I have Car & Renters through American Family. Nobody can come close to their rates.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
do NOT go with Liberty Mutual.

Any reason why? I've had my insurance through them for about 5 months. They gave me discounts for being a VT grad and for being a good student. I haven't had to claim anything yet, however. Is that where it gets bad?

mandala

Dec 24, 2003
The Hartford and Austin Agency have pretty good rates here in AZ. I've heard awful things about Geico's service (or lack thereof).

The best is USAA, but since it's for military (or dependents of military) you may not be able to use them.