Where should I go?

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
I'll do a bigger trip abroad some time 2017 but i'm looking for ideas for a small photography excursion some place nice that doesn't take a bunch of money and 20hrs flight in the mean time. Right now my #1 idea is to just take a train out to the rockies, since I'm living just north of Edmonton and haven't hit up the mountains yet. I'm still mulling that over as a long weekend type deal, but I'm open to exploring anywhere that I can get to relatively quick (let's say 8hrs or less travel time to get there more or less?).

Looking at flight prices, it's freaking ridiculous in Canuckistan. I can pretty much fly to Vegas for the same price as flying from Edmonton to Vancouver. I can fly to NYC for cheaper than Toronto or Montreal. Like WTF. Anyways... that got me thinking, if I can find a deal some place in the US, that could be fun. It's a huge ass country with all kinds of landscapes to be discovered. Plenty of 'muricans up on this board, so maybe you're the right folks to ask.

So where would you recommend for someone looking to capture some kickass scenery? Wildlife is cool too, but I don't have a big zoom yet, so my main focus would be more general sight seeing and nice scenery for landscapes. Mountains, water, whatever, you get the idea. Cool city areas is fine too but I'm looking more to get away from people. I'm not afraid of wandering about by myself, I usually prefer it.

What say the photogs of AT?

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
Check out Colorado. You can fly into Denver and drive out to Breckenridge or surrounding areas. It's gorgeous everywhere and the drive is unbelievable. I wanted to stop every 5 minutes to take a photo.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Southern Utah.

Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Moab, slot canyons, big clouds.... etc.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
Southern Utah.

Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Moab, slot canyons, big clouds.... etc.

That has been my wish list for the past 3 summers - each time thwarted by this or that.

My brother's in Phoenix, we have been talking of renting an RV from maybe Vegas, and start driving, something like Las Vegas to Zion National Park, then to Bryce Canyon, then to Capitol Reef then to Arches National park, then maybe drop off the RV at SLC.

zCypher, if you are alone or a small party, you don't need the RV, just a regular rental; makes it pretty cheap.

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
Yeah if you fly into Vegas you have some cool options like Southern Utah (Zion is very nice) and the Grand Canyon. Also the Hoover Dam is right there outside of Vegas. Vegas itself has some cool sights and fun photographic opportunities, especially at night when everything is lit up.

Dec 10, 2005
US National Parks are always great for scenery. I was at Yellowstone & Grand Teton this past summer, though they aren't so easy to get to: we flew into Salt Lake City (4-5 hour flight from NYC) and drove 5 hours to get to the parks. Depending on the time of year, you might also consider checking out Glacier National Park (in northern Montana, ~6hr drive from Edmonton) - I hear it's pretty spectacular.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Tobermory Ontario has some pretty interesting stuff to check out. Could probably spend a day or two. There's a place called flowerpot island that has some trails and what not and some interesting rock formations.

Not exactly a week trip but could make a fun little excursion if you're only looking to spend a few days.

I'm not sure if any of the tours run at this time of year though.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
wow thanks for all the awesome ideas! noting them all so i will have something to fill in all the long weekends to come. i ended up flying to Kelowna because it was the nicest, cheapest fastest place I found ($140 round trip, 1 hour flight) - the whole Okanagan region is really amazing. I spent a few days there, and then more recently I did a day trip to Jasper and stayed one night.

A few snaps from my time there:
Okanagan: https://www.flickr.com/photos/durbonpix/sets/72157674558749201
Jasper: https://www.flickr.com/photos/durbonpix/albums/72157676316812716

I just saw a new deal crop up from edmonton to arizona for under 200 bucks which is unheard of for us. i don't mind driving for a while either, so glacier national park sounds like a sweet idea too.. thank you for all of this. hahah, i can't wait!