Where is the worst place you have ever slept?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
when i was about 18 i slept in the woods one night , never again.

Is there anything else you want to tell us? ;)

And on-topic I stayed two nights at this crappy hotel in downtown Baltimore when I was there doing a project.
I was literally afraid to touch the bed or god-forbid to put out the lights!

:eek:

I never went back the 2ed night slept in the conference center parking lot in my car out in suburbia... MUCH better! (fortunately I wasn't paying for it)

Not only that but what the actual fvck is wrong with downtown Baltimore after dark? I have no issue with cities having worked in Manhattan for years but what a scary walk from my car to the lobby! Never again... felt like I was on The Wire!

Last edited:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
On the ground in the woods, dog ass tired, rolled up in a canvas tarp in Grafenwoehr Germany. I had been up for almost two days and I just wanted to sleep, didn't care where. Sore all over when I woke up with bugs everywhere.

Second worse was in a hotel in Oakland CA that was roach infested. Came down from Tahoe with the GF to see Led Zeppelin.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
15 degrees, snowing, in a Army pup tent with no floor and a shitty Army sleeping bag. Combat Arms basic training was no joke. All the other REMF MOS boot camps had called their bivouac over due to inclement weather.

Reactions: Perknose

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Boy Scouts. Klondike Derby. Had to make & sleep in a snow cave for some requirement or another, probably a merit badge.

Turns out I'm really sensitive to cold & didn't sleep a wink; everyone else didn't have a problem. Ice fishing was fun tho!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My parents went over to a friends house to hang out and have fun. Dragged me along for some reason. I do not know why.
They decided to go out for dinner or some bullshit. Left me in a strangers house.
Two teenagers. They wanted to fuck.
I am too young to understand they want to fuck.
They keep insisting I leave. I end up in some college kids bedroom.
Its almost completely empty. Just a mat and a very worn out pillow.
I try to sleep on top of that mess.
I do not sleep.
I hate my parents.
I hate the teenagers.
I hate the world.
30 years later I want to kill all humans.
Fuck you.
Fuck everybody.
If I get access to nukes this mother fucker roasts.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
In a tent while camping. I have no idea why people do this, it is not my idea of fun.
I love camping! Thats in Europe though, I'd probably feel different about it if I was camping near things that might eat me!
Also the right equipment, knowing what you are doing and whether its "proper" camping or car camping makes a big difference to the comfort level!

Reactions: Pohemi

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Slept in a garage once.Froze my balls off.It was winter.Gf booted me out.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Crete. It's in the Mediterranean, so, warm. But most of the island is elevated, so the temp can drop 20 degrees farenheit in a half hour if the sun goes away. This other American and I are walking from village to village, chasing agricultural work, after the olive harvesting season ended in Arkalochori, in the middle of the island.

We eventually make it down to the southern coast near evening. It's a 15k drive down a dry riverbed . . . down, down, down . . . to the (then) would-be tourist town of Arvi, the only place in all of Greece where bananas are grown. We're told that the weekly mail truck will be going down there the next day, and that we can probably hitch a ride in the pickup bed.

There's a pension we could stay in, cost of 70 drachma, then about two dollars. We refuse to even consider paying such an exorbinant fee. Mostly, we'd found shelter with the famously welcoming Greeks in tiny villages on the way there. Not this time.

So, we bed down to await the dawn. Many more times than I wish to remember while traveling, I've been out in the cold without enough to keep me warm. Makes for a very, very, very looooong night. No real sleep, just misery. And the dawn can't come soon enough.

But . . . redemption in the morning! The mail truck comes, and we descend down to Arvi. Africa lies just across the Mediterranean. The sun is beating down, and the white sand of the beach beckons. We doff our "homeless guy on the streets" layers down to trunks.

Baking in the sun on the beach as the soft, insistent systole and diastole of the emerald green waves came in and out was . . . HEAVEN ON EARTH.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
15 degrees, snowing, in a Army pup tent with no floor and a shitty Army sleeping bag. Combat Arms basic training was no joke. All the other REMF MOS boot camps had called their bivouac over due to inclement weather.
I remember those days. I'd have my M16 in my sleeping bag with me so the instructors wouldn't "steal" it.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

OP reminds me of some other user that was here a year or two ago.

posted a bunch of random questions to ATOT for a few weeks, then ended up getting banned, i think because they switched to conventional link spamming

i can't remember that profile's name but i think it was similar to OP's

but hey, as long as it's questions like this i think they're fun, it's like "ask ATOT" instead of /r/askreddit

Reactions: Captante

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
In a tent while camping. I have no idea why people do this, it is not my idea of fun.

same here... i would never knowingly go on a vacation that required me to sleep in a tent.

so many people think it's fun but i think it's uncomfortable and annoying.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
On a 100x100 lake island in the middle of winter. Skidoo broke something and wouldn't move. Too close to sundown to try and walk out and cover that distance. There was enough brush on the island we made a pallet to sleep on, piled another load on top and next to us as a wind breaker. Think I slept maybe 20min total trying to keep fire going but not let the "mattress" light up. Sushi and water for breakfast is a great motivator for the rest of your day I've found.

Won't be doing that ever again, short of having a mobile shelter anyway. Reminded me of going up to Mt. Washington, like, when you really shouldn't.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
On a 100x100 lake island in the middle of winter. Skidoo broke something and wouldn't move. Too close to sundown to try and walk out and cover that distance. There was enough brush on the island we made a pallet to sleep on, piled another load on top and next to us as a wind breaker. Think I slept maybe 20min total trying to keep fire going but not let the "mattress" light up. Sushi and water for breakfast is a great motivator for the rest of your day I've found.

Won't be doing that ever again, short of having a mobile shelter anyway. Reminded me of going up to Mt. Washington, like, when you really shouldn't.

damn.Sounds like a cold night.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
First was when I was ~15yo, I had asked to spend the night at a friend's house and already planned to do so...12:30am my buddy's dad decides I can't spend the night. Too late to call and wake mine to say I'm coming home, for fear of rejection the next time I ask...
I ended up sleeping outside the entryway to a church, in a pile of snow...during a blizzard (the church entry was a drive-thru partially-covered tunnel, so I did have slight cover). Slept surprisingly well for how cold it was, and thankfully didn't die of hypothermia.

Second time was during a travelling job, doing commercial and industrial insulation. We had been holed-up in a shitty motel for nearly 6 months already, down in Terrell, Texas. The guys I worked with wanted to go into Dallas to "go out" for the evening. I would later discover their idea of going out meant finding a seedy $12/hr motel in the ghetto/projects along with a couple literal crack-whores and a bunch of rocks. They only asked me to come along because they needed a driver for the work van... I sat in the corner until morning's light, afraid to touch anything. Obviously didn't sleep a wink. First and last time (@ 19yo) I ever found myself in that type of situation.

Mar 11, 2004
Your mom's house? Granted it was because we broke the bed.

And on-topic I stayed two nights at this crappy hotel in downtown Baltimore when I was there doing a project.
I was literally afraid to touch the bed or god-forbid to put out the lights!

:eek:

I never went back the 2ed night slept in the conference center parking lot in my car out in suburbia... MUCH better! (fortunately I wasn't paying for it)

Not only that but what the actual fvck is wrong with downtown Baltimore after dark? I have no issue with cities having worked in Manhattan for years but what a scary walk from my car to the lobby! Never again... felt like I was on The Wire!

You should see if they stopped there on "Another Dirty Room"

He has some videos on Baltimore (not just the motel ones, guy fucking goes walking around that notorious park alone in the middle of the night).

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Can confirm the Baltimore stuff.

I used to live in Ellicott City, had family visiting from out of town once and they had to stay in Balmer for some reason while seeing me. Had trouble finding a hotel, left two once they saw the rooms. They finally gave up and went with what they had, didn't sleep at all, looked like hell the next day. I envisioned them hiding under a bed with a hammer, like a petrified Borat. When I told them that they laughed and said no way, that's where we saw the black mold and dead bugs.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Next to TridenT... *shivers* He wouldn't quit with that damn vacuum. To this day I can't even vacuum my house without having flashbacks to that cold and snowy night.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Under your mom. It was like being buried alive in an earthquake at the Jimmy Dean factory.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
same here... i would never knowingly go on a vacation that required me to sleep in a tent.

so many people think it's fun but i think it's uncomfortable and annoying.

With proper gear, camping can be comfortable, its hard to see the good stuff without a little sacrifice in life. We are avid campers and generally spend 30-nights a year under the stars.