Where is the Radeon R7 265?

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I guess that was a paper launch? I thought we got rid of those in the GPU industry like 10 years ago?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
It was a paperlaunch to counter the 750TI. So patience, it takes time to actually make the cards first.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I'm sure we can count on Newegg to price gouge the crap out of it when it releases. So i'm not to excited for it to land.

The 270 non x at $180 was the place to be at this performance segment. I'm expecting the 265 to be $180+ when made available by most retailers in the States.

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
I'm expecting them to be retailing (online) for MSRP at least for a few hours/days :colbert:

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
It was a paperlaunch to counter the 750TI. So patience, it takes time to actually make the cards first.

I still don't get why people hate on paper launches all the time.
Surely it's a GOOD THING to know what the competitor's card will be like, rather than having the 750Ti be launched, and then either buying it blind, or waiting anyway for a hard launch of the competition's card?

More informed consumer = bad thing, somehow.
Most products are previewed/shown early. Are you going to complain about video games having paper launches because magazines/websites/etc get to review them before they are released? What about cars?
And yes, a car analogy is fine here.

Knowing about something in advance of being able to buy it is rather normal, and also helpful for the consumer, assuming it's not too far in advance an they hit the launch date they state.

The problem here isn't that AMD did a "paper launch", the problem is that they did a paper launch and seem to have failed to actually get the product on shelves when they said they would.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I still don't get why people hate on paper launches all the time.
Surely it's a GOOD THING to know what the competitor's card will be like, rather than having the 750Ti be launched, and then either buying it blind, or waiting anyway for a hard launch of the competition's card?

More informed consumer = bad thing, somehow.
Most products are previewed/shown early. Are you going to complain about video games having paper launches because magazines/websites/etc get to review them before they are released? What about cars?
And yes, a car analogy is fine here.

Knowing about something in advance of being able to buy it is rather normal, and also helpful for the consumer, assuming it's not too far in advance an they hit the launch date they state.

The problem here isn't that AMD did a "paper launch", the problem is that they did a paper launch and seem to have failed to actually get the product on shelves when they said they would.

Its anything but a good thing. Because its nothing more than lies and deception with (currently) fictive products.

They could simply have annouced when the product would launch instead. But then they couldnt put a checkbox somewhere and show some benchmarks. Much easier to do a paperlaunch and claim its all done.

Its no different than the Kaveri launch either. Nowhere to buy the 7600 yet for example. They could just as well paperlaunch 14nm CPUs and 20nm GPUs then.

There is a huge differences in showcasing a product and claim its launched. And paperlaunches are nothing more than misleading marketing.

Paperlaunches serves no good at all. They are simply standin for the inability to release a product.

Last edited:

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Its anything but a good thing. Because its nothing more than lies and deception.

They could simply have annouced when the product would launch instead. But then they couldnt put a checkbox somewhere. Much easier to do a paperlaunch and claim its all done.

Its no different than the Kaveri launch either, trying to rig reviews by only sending the slower parts out. Yet nowhere to buy the 7600 yet for example.

Announcing when a product will launch doesn't help people know if they might want to wait for it to be launched...

For our Kaveri review today we were sampled the 45/65W (cTDP) A8-7600 and 95W A10-7850K Kaveri models. The A10-7850K is available today while the A8 part will be available later in Q1.
To our chagrin, 265 is going to be another soft launch; AMD is not expecting cards to hit the shelves until the end of this month, roughly 2 weeks from now.

Now, if they announced "the R265 will be available at the end of the month", what does that mean for people who see 750Ti reviews? It means they either buy blind, or wait. It doesn't help them at all.
Actually letting people review the thing means that when the 750Ti hard launch happens, consumers can actually make a decision of whether to wait or not.

You are still saying that having information on performance ahead of availability is a bad thing. More informed consumer = bad.
How does that make sense?
You can't rig reviews by telling people "X has availability now, Y will be available later. Here are some parts to review".
If the reviews don't make it clear enough, that's their problem. But having the information in no way harms the consumer. If anything, it harms the company because now there's an expectation of when the product will be available, and if it misses that deadline, like the Radeon 250 and 265 have, you take a hit to your image, and next time you give consumers information ahead of time, they might reconsider waiting, such as the OP of this thread.

You seem to be arguing that having information is a bad thing. Really? Well why don't we just get NV and AMD to launch products and let reviewers source their own test samples, so that you can buy it before the reviews, surely that's a good thing, if less information is better?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
You seem to be arguing that having information is a bad thing. Really? Well why don't we just get NV and AMD to launch products and let reviewers source their own test samples, so that you can buy it before the reviews, surely that's a good thing, if less information is better?

No, thats a misconception by you in an attempt to defend paperlaunches.

You can show users all the information needed, without claiming its launched.

However you seem to prefer the lies and deception route with fictive products that cant be bought, yet being launched.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
No, thats a misconception by you in an attempt to defend paperlaunches.

You can show users all the information needed, without claiming its launched.

However you seem to prefer the lies and deception route with fictive products that cant be bought, yet being launched.

What is "all the information they need"?
Because from the reviews on Anandtech, it says "this product will be launched at <insert later date here>".

What exactly should they release that isn't a full review with a statement saying that availability will be in the future? Please do tell. Because if it says "this product will be available in the future" is that a paper launch or giving people information in the future?
What is your definition of launched? Because it seems to be that a product is launched if it's been reviewed, even where the review says the product is not yet available.

Which makes me wonder how consumers can be given all the information they need without a review. Or maybe you just want it to be called a Preview instead of a Review?

Meekers

Aug 4, 2012
As long as the review states when they will be available and that timeframe is delivered on I do not see how anyone could have a problem with paper launches. It lets you know what is coming and makes no claim at being an actual launch.

What I do hate is when they claim they are launching a card but availability is so low that almost no one can get one. Most recently, the 680/670 launches for NVIDIA and the 290/290x for AMD.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
According to Hardware.fr (in their 750ti review from feb 26)
the 265 is to be available in two weeks or so.

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
I read it should be hitting the streets march 1st so I would expect to see it very soon

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I'm waiting for these to come out. I hope it sells at $150, if not I'm probably getting a used 660 Ti