Where is Peng Shuai?/Boycott Beijing Olympics

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

So a ranked Chinese tennis player once had an affair with a former Vice Premier high up in the Party. Not sure of their history, but at some time after the affair ended, she was at his house for a tennis lesson (even met the wife) but afterwards she claims she was raped. She publicly accuses her attacker on Chinese social media, and pretty soon afterwards she disappears and her posts are scrubbed.

Now everyone wants to know, where is Peng Shuai? Even Biden sees an opportunity to play tough guy with China and seems to be calling for a boycott of the Olympics. Should athletes pull out of the Winter Games until we know that she’s safe?

Reactions: Roger Wilco

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

So a ranked Chinese tennis player once had an affair with a former Vice Premier high up in the Party. Not sure of their history, but at some time after the affair ended, she was at his house for a tennis lesson (even met the wife) but afterwards she claims she was raped. She publicly accuses her attacker on Chinese social media, and pretty soon afterwards she disappears and her posts are scrubbed.

Now everyone wants to know, where is Peng Shuai? Even Biden sees an opportunity to play tough guy with China and seems to be calling for a boycott of the Olympics. Should athletes pull out of the Winter Games until we know that she’s safe?
If she doesn't surface, looks like no Olympics. I think that would be world reaction.

Reactions: cytg111

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If she doesn't surface, looks like no Olympics. I think that would be world reaction.
Right now the US is threatening a diplomatic boycott meaning the athletes could still go just no US officials.

However is she stays missing the athletes may take care of that themselves.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Sure, and this situation could provide the opportunity to put pressure on them to stop. The world is watching.

Doubt it. China appears immune to criticism. And no nation wants to risk missing out on billions in profits from investing in cheap labor there.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Doubt it. China appears immune to criticism. And no nation wants to risk missing out on billions in profits from investing in cheap labor there.

I gotta say, I admire the WTA for at least standing up to China in ways the NBA wouldn’t dare dream of.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
China needs the world more than the world needs China. What happens when the demand for their cheap labor craters for a year or so?

Their workforce is aging out and will be of decreasing relevance as years go on. China got old before it got rich, missed the window.

Anybody who makes anything is working on supply chain diversification away from China now to Southeast Asia and the Americas. Or Africa and Turkey if Europe based.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
China needs the world more than the world needs China. What happens when the demand for their cheap labor craters for a year or so?

Well that would mean a decline in living standards for us in the west
->
Civil dissatisfaction and unrest
->
Colorful populist moron steps onto scene "I'll handle those damn *slur*".
->
People vote authoritarian into office, signing away their freedom and states separation of powers.
->
Nazis
->
*who tf knows*.

Point is, western democracies have proven to be brittle as fuck. We cant take a fucking punch. Too many morons walk amongst us.

Reactions: thilanliyan

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
->
->
->
People vote authoritarian into office, signing away their freedom and states separation of powers.
->
Nazis
->
*who tf knows*.

Point is, western democracies have proven to be brittle as fuck. We cant take a fucking punch. Too many morons walk amongst us.
We need the angry and sad emojis back so I can respond to things like this

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
->
->
->
->
Nazis
->
*who tf knows*.

OR you sell it as bringing jobs back. that thing that conservatives always talk about but never seem to do

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

What in the absolute fuck are you talking about?

China is, BY FAR, the most butthurt, insecure international snowflake on the globe - their furious, brat like reactions to what they deem disrespectful or insulting is the stuff of modern day diplomatic legend. They stamp out criticism ahead of important CCP summits or milestones, they don't ignore it, never have. It's a matter of face. How you've missed all that is a mystery to me.

Fact is, with a few exceptions, pretty much the entire world is sick and tired of China's belligerent fits, threats and bullying.

Some light reading for you

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I was good skipping these ruined games before Beijing decided to kidnap a tennis star who had the nerve to talk about her sexual assault by a married CCP dignitary.

Olympics have been defiled by state sponsored cheating and politics. Pretending everything is fine is not something I'm interested in.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Waiting to see if this is the issue everyone here can agree on?
Good point? Dems needs to come out vocally across the board on this… this way the GQP will have a losing hand when they come out 100% opposite.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If no one boycotts the games over the continued occupation of Tibet, the genocide against the Uighurs, and the destruction of democracy in Hong Hong, I don't see this moving the needle much.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Good point? Dems needs to come out vocally across the board on this… this way the GQP will have a losing hand when they come out 100% opposite.

Pair it with their obstruction over Schumer adding the China tech stuff to the defense measure in that bill.

Not that it will matter much to magats, they pretty much expect their guys to side with foreign regimes against other Americans. Have to remember we're dealing with the people who gave the Handjob in Helsinki a shrug. Straight up zero fucks given over Trump's National Security Advisor Misha Flynn acting as an unregistered foreign agent.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If no one boycotts the games over the continued occupation of Tibet, the genocide against the Uighurs, and the destruction of democracy in Hong Hong, I don't see this moving the needle much.
I think that could change when one of their own is taken out by the Chinese government. Let's see if athletes in other sports start speaking out.

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Except (using a tired movie poster cliché) this time it’s personal.

Athletes are going to be a little bit more affected by the idea that one of their own could be disappeared for speaking their truth. WTA being so vocal and getting some of the biggest tennis stars on the planet onboard with the pressure campaign is a good start.