Where is mobile Kaveri?

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
It's been a couple months now since Kaveri was launched, yet there isn't a single word of Kaveri laptops. It seems like that's where AMD would want to prioritize Kaveri, given that it's the most attractive platform for integrated graphics due to power consumption limits, and there's a far greater price premium for discrete graphics too.

Feb 25, 2011
It's a jack of all trades architecture. Gamers will still buy luggables with discrete GPUs, and non gamers will buy intel chips with longer battery life.

Although the CPU benchmarks were good enough that I'd be curious to see what AMD could do in a more typical 100w desktop power envelope.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Its still just the two desktop models too. I've been wondering if there's yield problems with Kaveri on the 28nm process. Are they made at TSMC or GloFlo?

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
It's always been like this. The only chips OEMs are buying are the kabini ones because they are significantly cheaper. The dont really care enough to make the distinction between kabini and kaveri. They just know that one is cheap while the other is... not. It is up to AMD to release something that is so insanely fast for the price that it cannot be ignored. That is not kaveri because obviously it is still cheaper for OEMs to go with intel + discrete in large volume. I dont expect to see price competitive kaveri notebooks until august.

dn7309

Dec 5, 2012
isn't the Jaguar the mobile equivalent of the Kaveri? I remember prior to the PS4 launch AMD teased something about an upcoming desktop apu that is based off the Jaguar architecture that powered the next gen console.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
isn't the Jaguar the mobile equivalent of the Kaveri? I remember prior to the PS4 launch AMD teased something about an upcoming desktop apu that is based off the Jaguar architecture that powered the next gen console.

Not sure how AMD's code names and platforms are working these days on their CPU/APU side, but I thought Jaguar was the predecessor to Kabini. Kabini 'replaced' Jaguar, while Kaveri was the desktop variant that chunked the older Southern Islands(?) GPU architecture for GCN based architecture.

Aug 11, 2008
Not sure how AMD's code names and platforms are working these days on their CPU/APU side, but I thought Jaguar was the predecessor to Kabini. Kabini 'replaced' Jaguar, while Kaveri was the desktop variant that chunked the older Southern Islands(?) GPU architecture for GCN based architecture.

You are correct. Kabini is small core, Kaveri is the follow-up to Trinity/Richland.