"Where do they get young men like this??

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Link

Martin Savidge of CNN, embedded with the 1st Marine battalion, was talking with 4 young Marines near his foxhole this morning live on CNN. He had been telling the story of how well the Marines had been looking out for and taking care of him since the war started. He went on to tell about the many hardships the Marines had endured since the war began and how they all look after one another.
He turned to the four and said he had cleared it with their commanders and they could use his video phone to call home.
The 19 year old Marine next to him asked Martin if he would allow his platoon sergeant to use his call to call his pregnant wife back home whom he had not been able to talk to in three months. A stunned Savidge who was visibly moved by the request shook his head and the young Marine ran off to get the sergeant.
Savidge recovered after a few seconds and turned back to the three young Marines still sitting with him and asked which one of them would like to call home first, the Marine closest to him responded with out a moments hesitation ? Sir, if is all the same to you we would like to call the parents of a buddy of ours, Lance Cpl Brian Buesing of Cedar Key, Florida who was killed on 3-23-03 near Nasiriya to see how they are doing?.
At that Martin Savidge totally broke down and was unable to speak. All he could get out before signing off was ?Where do they get young men like this??.

This was a great thread but idiots decided to crap in it so it has been locked and reposted.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
How can you not be proud of the amazing men and women we have in our military? That's a great story! :)

arcitech2

Apr 1, 2003
We are here, defending yours, and our country. Every day I put on my uniform and drive to work, I see the empty piers, and the empty streets of the largest US Naval Base in the world, and realize that this is very big, and there are a lot of big hearts out there doing this for you, and your country. My turn is coming, and I'll go, not because I'm brainwashed, not becouse I'm a warmonger, but because I am an American, and a Sailor. Those Marines are going to come home, and bring that compassion and caring for others with them. My brother is there as we speak, I pray for him, and all who are enduring this war. Thanks to all who support us.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Was any of this caught on video? Link to a clip?

I'd love to see it!

I dare say that these men know Christ!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Was any of this caught on video? Link to a clip?

I'd love to see it!

I dare say that these men know Christ!
rolleye.gif
Why, to be a courageous and compassionate person you have to believe in Christ, Allah, Buddah or what ever? How about the comradere they feel to each other having to face death in the eye together. I think that would be a much stronger bond than some man made religion.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I heard this today myself on the way to work and let me tell you I was so moved.

I was just getting ready to post this exact item too.

How anyone can hear a story like this and not feel a sense of pride in these people is beyond me.

To all military personel, active or not, past and present, located in the states or abroad...thank you.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
arcitech2 - woudl you enable PM's please or PM me an e-mail address where I can write you? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Chief

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
That snippet should be required reading for all the naysayers out there that take every opportunity to dog on our men and women in the military. If what was described above does not show you the spirt of the American soldier then nothing will. They aren't there for fortune and glory. They aren't there to dominate and rule people. They aren't there to kill the innocent. They aren't there to fight for oil. They aren't there to create an American Empire. There are there, day in and day out in horrible conditions, facing possible death every minute to make the world a safer place and to ensure freedom. I'm truly moved to tears.....

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: shinerburke
That snippet should be required reading for all the naysayers out there that take every opportunity to dog on our men and women in the military. If what was described above does not show you the spirt of the American soldier then nothing will. They aren't there for fortune and glory. They aren't there to dominate and rule people. They aren't there to kill the innocent. They aren't there to fight for oil. They aren't there to create an American Empire. There are there, day in and day out in horrible conditions, facing possible death every minute to make the world a safer place and to ensure freedom. I'm truly moved to tears.....

Read some Stephen Ambrose. He is un-apologetic about his pro-America attitude even when discussing his anti-Vietnam involvement.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Feldenak

Read some Stephen Ambrose. He is un-apologetic about his pro-America attitude even when discussing his anti-Vietnam involvement.
I'm well aquinted with Ambrose.....as a History Major and WWII buff I've read a lot of his stuff. Good writer....though a lot of his stuff is "based" on the works of others....say Corenlius Ryan for instance. Still Ambrose was able to bring the history of WWII to a lot of people that would have probably never read it otherwise.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

I'm well aquinted with Ambrose.....as a History Major and WWII buff I've read a lot of his stuff. Good writer....though a lot of his stuff is "based" on the works of others....say Corenlius Ryan for instance. Still Ambrose was able to bring the history of WWII to a lot of people that would have probably never read it otherwise.

In my opinion, the thing with Ambrose is that his works are infinately more readable. I do recognize that alot of what he wrote was based on the works of others, but it seems that a good bit of historical works are like that, he was also generally good at referencing his sources. I really liked To America by Ambrose.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

In my opinion, the thing with Ambrose is that his works are infinately more readable. I do recognize that alot of what he wrote was based on the works of others, but it seems that a good bit of historical works are like that, he was also generally good at referencing his sources. I really liked To America by Ambrose.
Ambrose was a very good writer and you are correct that his stuff is much more readable than some others. I just bought Wild Blue but haven't had a chance to read it yet. You should check out The Longest Day or A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan . Both excellent, excellent books. Of course they made movies off them but they can't hold a candle to the books. Especially A Bridge Too Far. There are some points in there where I could help but break down and cry. Other times I got so angry that I wanted to go dig up Montgomery's body and kick him in the ass.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Oh wow, that almost made me cry. It's amazing our military has such upstanding men. The people who take it upon themselves to defend our country are the best America has to offer. These guys are my age... and yet so much more then I can ever see myself being...

DoctorPizza

Banned
Jun 4, 2001
Where do they get young men who are fathers at 19 and kill people?

The ghettos, I assume.
OK, that's worth a months vacation for trolling!

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: DoctorPizza

The ghettos, I assume.
Was there REALLY a need for you to post that?

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

The ghettos, I assume.

You need to improve your reading comprehension. The 19 year old Marine didn't have a pregnant wife.

The 19 year old Marine next to him asked Martin if he would allow his platoon sergeant to use his call to call his pregnant wife back home whom he had not been able to talk to in three months. A stunned Savidge who was visibly moved by the request shook his head and the young Marine ran off to get the sergeant.

You sir, are a jackass.

zer0burn

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2002
grow up no need for harsh comments directed towards the marines or any troops participating

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

Ambrose was a very good writer and you are correct that his stuff is much more readable than some others. I just bought Wild Blue but haven't had a chance to read it yet. You should check out The Longest Day or A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan . Both excellent, excellent books. Of course they made movies off them but they can't hold a candle to the books. Especially A Bridge Too Far. There are some points in there where I could help but break down and cry. Other times I got so angry that I wanted to go dig up Montgomery's body and kick him in the ass.

I've read a bit of A Bridge Too Far, mainly because my grandfather was in the 82nd and made that drop.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001

The ghettos, I assume.

Where did they get you?

Well, what's below the ghetto..? Sewers? Sure, that'll do.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999

The ghettos, I assume.

You ungrateful worthless POS.

If it wasn't for OUR young people of the same caliber 60 years ago you and the rest of your countrymen would have required reading of Mein Kempf in your schools.