Where did your screen name come from?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
Heh...had an informal The Thing CS clan back in the day. We had a MacReady, Palmer and Windows. It was funny when other players would quote lines from the movie in the side chat, although now people think its because I'm a pedo or something. Too young to know or care about the movie. lol

Now thinking about the great dialogue between the characters, I have to watch it again.

Palmer: I ain't going with Windows! I'll go with Childs.
Windows: Hey, fuck you man! Where were you when the lights went out?
Palmer: I ain't goin' with you! I don't trust you! You freaked out with that gun...
Childs: Who says I want to go with you!?!?

hahaha such a great movie.

100% truth.

lots of great lines and overall just a great movie. best line imo is this though from Garry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YDDzjijc6jY#t=60s

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
This account name I came up with when I created a character/account for Unreal Tournament back in the day. It actually may have been UT2003, not sure which one I played first, or which one I started using this name.

My character was either a robot or robotic-looking. I figured, alright, let's take the word "Destroy" and make it into a robotic-sounding name.

and thus, "destrekor" was born.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
This account name I came up with when I created a character/account for Unreal Tournament back in the day. It actually may have been UT2003, not sure which one I played first, or which one I started using this name.

My character was either a robot or robotic-looking. I figured, alright, let's take the word "Destroy" and make it into a robotic-sounding name.

and thus, "destrekor" was born.

Sure it wasnt those IBM hard drives with the high failure rate? :biggrin:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Sure it wasnt those IBM hard drives with the high failure rate? :biggrin:

Deskstars?

lol I forgot about those :biggrin:

Damn, wish I hadn't. Probably could have done something fancier with that.
Though at the time of conception, I probably hadn't even known that.
I think it was around that time, oddly enough, that I think my family had an IBM drive die on us. What did I do?! :D

As it is, nobody can ever pronounce my name correctly, 50% of the time it gets misspelled every time, and while perhaps if seen enough its memorable, it just doesn't stand out.

Which may be good, because my FPS performance, while I've gotten it above the baseline average in recent times, isn't consistently top rate star-power. :p

Last edited:

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Inspired by the movie 'I, Robot' and my research interests at the time.
Not related to Apple at all, I don't even own a single Apple product (I did buy an iPod for my sister some years ago though...).

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
Tom Rakewell is a character from a 20th century opera by I. Stravinsky, another Faustian-type tale about a character who cheats the Devil out of losing his soul- but loses his sanity instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rake%27s_Progress

In the early days of email, the last thing on earth I wanted was an "Opera Character Name", ie "Manrico" or "Edgardo". So I picked this one... and it stuck.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
When I joined, I worked in the nuclear industry, thus the "Nuclear". My name is Dean, but NuclearDean doesn't have a whole lot of panache. So I tried NuclearNaed, which is horrible. I took out the "a" and the rest is history.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Before I really even knew about Gotham City, I liked to name characters Gotham (also use it as my Steam screen name) because it sounded dark and gritty. I tacked on Hunter because Gotham was taken a lot and I learned about Gotham City through something unrelated to Batman, so I used it as being a Hunter in the city of Gotham (not really Batman; I didn't think of the connection because I didn't know that was where he resided).