Question Where did the budget build thread go?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I'm looking to build another PC for a friend of a friend and his budget is pretty low ($500 with no peripherals or existing pieces to use) and I used to reference that $500 - $1,000 thread frequently for ideas but I can no longer find that thread. I'm posting from my phone in an area with little service so it's difficult to make a proper thread and I was hoping to use that old budget thread for some ideas on what I could look for.

He said he originally wanted VR with a $500 PC and that's just not going to happen which I've explained to him already but he still wants something to use to play with us.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
@Ken g6 used to maintain that budget thread, but I guess people lost interest on that.
I believe RX580 was certified for VR use, and it's rather affordable now. Couple it with 3300X or 1600AF it should be a decent system. Of course you have to cut your budget in other components like case, motherboard and HDD to make it works.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I saw that post and checked it out the other night but with the tight budget and with him wanting VR, I just wasn't sure where to start. I've been telling him to set that $500 to the side and keep tossing anything extra in and in no time, he'll have a decent budget to work with, but from what I've seen, he does not like to save money. As soon as he gets paid, he hits the local liquor store and throws a big party and occasionally he'll invite people over to that party.

As for the 580, I actually built a PC for my buddy (who actually lives right next door to the guy who wants the budget PC) with a 580 Sapphire last week and I'm pretty surprised with the results. I haven't ever messed with AMD cards so this one was a little challenging when trying to get parts. I'm actually pretty overdue for a new build, especially since this one was built over a decade ago and only upgraded once since then. It's really starting to show its age, but I really REALLY REALLY don't want to leave my Windows 7 behind. Every PC I've built in the last 5ish years has used Windows 10 and I still can't stand that OS.