Where can I sell a roof rack, besides CL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
I have a Yakima roof rack that I want to sell because I no longer need it. I've already tried selling it on CL without any luck. I'm thinking about going to a pawn shop and trying my luck there but doubt I'll get a good price. Costs bout $450 new but trying to get at least $300.

Any ideas of where I could sell it?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
$450 new $300 used forget it. People don't pay sh*t for used stuff when the market is so small as a roof rack. I'm not saying it's impossible to get that but I'd aim for more like $200. I know, it sucks, but that's how it is.

You could try local paper but you'd have to pay. I'd just keep throwing it up on craigslist and hoping for a bite.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
That makes no sense though. With such a small market like roof racks, shouldn't they keep their value better than say something with a large number suppliers?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
What kind of rack specifically? Target your audience. If it's a kayak rack, advertise to canoe clubs. Skiing rack? Advertise to skiers. I agree about the asking price though. If it's in perfect shape, I'd start at half the new price.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
That makes no sense though. With such a small market like roof racks, shouldn't they keep their value better than say something with a large number suppliers?
I guess I just hate people on craigslist. I bet you get offers for $75.

gaidensensei

Banned
May 31, 2003
I've been looking at buying either yakima bike roof rack or hitch, no way I'd pay $300 for a used one. I'd try to go $100 or lower if I can on CL. Anything after that is a turnoff.

Are you selling the complete assembly with extra attachments, or just a rack alone? Then I can understand your costs.

People are stingy these days, they want to save a buck if they can.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
A small market also implies a small demand.

Exactly. Especially if it is vehicle specific or for less popular uses. It will be easier to sell a cargo rack or a bike rack that fits on a wide range of vehicles than a kayak rack that only fits a 1982 Chrysler Lebaron. The easier it is to sell, the higher price you're going to get.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Well, most racks can easily adapt to a majority of cars with a different "fit kit". Figure that runs about $50.

Racks in general are ridiculously expensive IMHO. I look to buy used whenever possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.