Where can I find a TI-83+ calculator online? Can someone make me a GraphLink for Windows?

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
I have to buy that exact calculator for my Alg2/Trig class. Its required. The cheapest they said is at Costco for $89.99, is there any where cheaper on the net to buy it?

Also, I remembered some of you make your own GraphLinks for connectivity between the 83+ and my Computer to download things. i'm wondering, could you make me one and i'll send you the money?

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I guess I could make you one but it really is quite easy. I'll find the link to the easiest one to make which is the one I know how to make. It plugs into your LPT1 port I believe. The materials cost is probably $5-6 but you will need the cable that comes with your calc that connects two 83+'s together unless you buy extra wire but I don't know what you need for that.

I have a 83+ which I got for my Alg2 class last year. I bought it at WalMart for $100. I think the cheapest would be Staples + coupon like DarkManX said.

Check out http://www.techbargains.com for coupons (I am allowed to post that site without getting locked right?).

P.S. You NEED that calc? Tell them you don't have money. :) I didn't even use mine that much. The only time where it was really helpful was matrices and making cheat programs to do stuff faster. Oh and graphing since it is a graphic calc but we didn't graph much in alg2.

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
Is $89.99 with a $25 ($65 total!!!!) What a great deal!

eagle, its required that i have this calculator, i could use any other one, but it has to be graphing, but I would be left off to find out how to execute the same problems on different calcs, which would make me fall behind the other students.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Why spend $100 on a calculator that's behind the current technology? Get a 92... I love mine.

Viper GTS

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
No, because I'll fall behind because I'll have to figure out how to use the calculator. Besides, the 83+ looks versatile enough already.

Ealge=2, you'll make me one? or at least hook me up with a link?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Hmm...

Didn't know that. Never mind, then. They're practically indispensable in college level math. You gotta love a calculator that has enough balls to rotate a 3D graph in realtime. You can even play Doom on it.

:D

[EDIT]Alpha... Following through your handouts won't teach you to use your calculator. Yeah, you'll know how to push the buttons to get the desired results, but you won't really be learning it. If you've got to learn a calculator, learn one that will last you a while. A TI-83 will seriously limit you in anything above Trig (basically any 200 level math class will surpass the 83's capabilities.), & the 48G's are a bitch to learn. The 92 is EASY to learn, much more so than an 83. Everything is done through pull down menus, much like Windows.[/EDIT]

Viper GTS

-SpYrL-

Nov 5, 1999
I got a TI-83+ for my Course 3 Geometry. I think it was $80 at Office Max. Try Office Max or Depot... I think it was at one of those places.

-SpYrL-

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Even tho they don't let you get 92/89, at least go for and 86/85. Much more versatile than the 83s.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Here's a link.
http://www.ticalc.org/hardware/cables/parallel.html

http://www.ticalc.org is a great calculator site.

There is different ways of making the cable and I found the easiest way was to use half of the calc-to-calc cable that comes with the calculator. It says soldering iron and test meter but I didn't use that. I just used electrical tape to hold the resistors and diodes on.

If you plan to go into Stats, the 83 or 83+ is great. My brother has a 85 and since he has AP States where a 83 is so useful, I use his 85 and he uses my 83+ since he can't really do the stuff on his 85. The 86 is pretty good but a little more expensive than the 83+. I personally prefer the layout and the like of the 83 or 83+ compared to the 85 or 86. I haven't used a 89 much but I wouldn't look into that anyway until you are in high math like calculus.

[EDIT]Here is the software I use. http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/18/1826.html. It is a simple DOS program but does support the parallel port homemade link cable. It works and is simple and also small (19k in size I believe). That's just my preference though.[/EDIT]

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
Thanks for all the helps everyone! I didn't know that these TI calcs were so popular, 4 years ago, my HS had a TI club, funny. But they knew almost everything about those TI calcs. hehe ;)

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
So you gonna make your own link cable?

Oh, and if you do, you WILL NOT be able to use the Graphlink software from TI to transfer files.

JW310

Golden Member
Oct 30, 1999
If he makes the parallel port link cable for the computer, then no, he won't be able to use TI's GraphLink software. But the serial-port links do pretty much the same (as far as I know) as the parallel links, and they work with TI's software. I built a serial-port one for my 92, and it works great.

JW

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
I'll have to wait till I get my calc delivered first. And yes, 80% going that I will make the cable. Will the cable look really ugly?

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I'd say buy the 86 at least or you'd be wasting your money if you're going on to higher math......

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Yes, buy the 92. It has gotten me through 4 years of engineering courses so far. Buying the 83 will simply be a waste of money once you are out of high school.

And don't rely on your calculator to do all of your work for you. I learn to do the problems first by hand, and then start using the calculator once I understand everything. That is a major help.

All the teacher will do in your math class is say "push this button, put that equation in." All those TIs are pretty much the same in the way they work. I've used an 82, 89, and 92. They're all similar in function. Enough so that you won't be falling behind in your class trying to figure out how the calculator works.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
A 92? That is really overkill. The one with the QWERTY keyboard isn't even allowed on tests. Some teachers don't even allow 89's. You made a good choice. You are in what, 9th or 10th grade? 83 is fine for that. When you do go to college, there will probably be new ones out anyway.

The 86 is good and I think it would be a tossup between that and a 83/83+ for what you will be in. When you do go into higher level math, it will be fine. My brother has an 85 which he used in Precalc in 11th grade. Now in 12th grade, he has AP Stats so he uses my 83+ and I use his 85. He has AP Calculus which I guess he uses my 83+. I don't know if you will be going any higher than Calculus in High School. Then once you goto college you can get a new calculator. Hopefully you won't need a new one in HS.

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
Already purchased the 83+ from Staples.com for $65. I'm in 11th grade now taking Alg2/Trig, I should be taking PreCalc but I missed a test during my 8th grade year because when I moved here, the test was over already. By College, I'll have my own money to buy my calc for. Thanks for all the help guys.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
lol, i can't even use one except for homework.

colleges won't allow you to use that calculator. in fact, for the most part, no calculators for math classes... imagine how many points i lost because i can't add or subtract.

hell, i had to get a scientific calculator...

i already had a ti 82 for my calc class in high school. i only used it for one year too... AP calc BC my junior year... lol... what a waste of money that was. but then, i did use one for calc 3, but only for adding and subtracting.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
colleges won't allow you to use that calculator

What calculator, & what college? In my calculus & engineering classes, we had people using TI-86's, TI-92's, 92+'s, & the occasional HP48G/GX. The people with 92's had it the easiest, since that's what the teachers knew & could help you with. The 86's were only used because the people couldn't afford a 92, & the 48G's were used out of pure stubbornness. ;)

Viper GTS