Where can I buy Teacher's Edition math solutions manual?

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Our teacher's a bit different this year. Even though this is collegiate level math, we get homework and he grades us strictly on correctness of answer in addition to showing work...

so if the ansewr isn't right, we get 0.

To make it worse, he assigns us even #s, the answer not in student solution manual :|

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
At my university, we had a girl that was expelled from the engineering department for buying the professor's manuals for various classes.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD
To make it worse, he assigns us even #s, the answer not in student solution manual :|
Wow. Your professor is a jackass.
rolleye.gif

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Try your library. Most of the time they are in there, ask the librarian she might be able to help you.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I never understood why university students were cautioned against buying teacher's editions. What the heck is wrong with (presumably) paying a little more and getting solutions to every problem?

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Well we have to show our work anyways, so it's not like we can cheat.
If you know the correct answer, it's a lot easier to figure out the problem because you can keep trying until you get the right answer. Normally you wouldn't know the right answer so you would do the problem, be confident it's right, and turn it in without knowing of the outcome.

edmicman

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
This is one of those things that always pissed me off. "Ethics" aside, what good reason is there that a student can't buy a "teachers" edition of a book? Pssshh.....its not like you should have to have special qualifications to purchase a BOOK. Especially in math classes where if you just copy the answer, of course you'll fail the tests. But if you're stuck on a problem and you know the answer, you can work with it until you figure out how to do it, thereby LEARNING. I think profs like that use the books as a crutch to not have to teach, they just throw problems at you and let the book do the teaching. You miss a problem, thats it, you're done.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
rolleye.gif

The solutions to the odd problems are in the book for a reason. Unless the prof has a good reason, it's just stupid to assign only evens. The students are supposed to be learning, and in the case of math, having the answer to some of the problems will help them do that.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia
rolleye.gif

The solutions to the odd problems are in the book for a reason. Unless the prof has a good reason, it's just stupid to assign only evens. The students are supposed to be learning, and in the case of math, having the answer to some of the problems will help them do that.

it's called seperating the crowd. The slackers/idiots won't get the same grade as the hard workers/more intelligent students, wtf is wrong with that?

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia
rolleye.gif

it's called seperating the crowd. The slackers/idiots won't get the same grade as the hard workers/more intelligent students, wtf is wrong with that?

umm...that's why they have tests. You don't "seperate the crowd" on homework assignments. Fortunately, I had teachers that considered homework just as what it should be, a way to practice and learn the material. Answers were in the back of the books but you had to figure out how to get that answer. I don't think I had a class in college where homework actually got graded. We got a check if we did it and a minus if we didn't. So obviously you could slack off and just scribble a bunchof stuff on the a piece of paper and get credit for it but you'd be screwed come test time.

AntMan530

Dec 22, 2000
they should give you answers on test tooo..so you can work on it until you get it right.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
umm...that's why they have tests. You don't "seperate the crowd" on homework assignments.

just different styles of teaching, there is no reason why you can't separate the crowd on hw

edmicman

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: AntMan530
they should give you answers on test tooo..so you can work on it until you get it right.

heaven forbid people LEARN how to do things....they should just inherently know stuff, or immediately fail if they don't
rolleye.gif

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
i think you should be able to buy the teacher's editions on most of the academic book websites? or if you contacted the publisher i'm sure they'd tell you where you can get it.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: edmicman
Originally posted by: AntMan530

heaven forbid people LEARN how to do things....they should just inherently know stuff, or immediately fail if they don't
rolleye.gif

listen its not that insane of an idea, so the teach olny assigns even probs and only teh odds are in the solution manual, so your stuck on a problim, most times if you can look at what teh final answer shoud be you can figure out how to get there with out copying the priblim, THUS l.earning in the process, YES people that are lazy will just copy the answers down but then they will be fusked on tests so it wouldent really matter