Where can I buy PC card for 3g (cellphone) wireless internet?

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
I need to purchase one and also a compatible router.. I dont even know what to search. I looked at newegg and dont think they have it.

TIA

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: FoBoT
do you care which carrier? verizon? or sprint ?

it needs to take a SIM card. I will be using this not in the US so the brand does not really matter.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i don't think the pc cards have sim cards, i don't see how you can take them apart

maybe you just want a cell phone with a usb connection to a laptop to get internet on your laptop

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
No, just hook your GSM phone up to your laptop and use it as a modem (USB port is your friend). Fobot is right.

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002
I have a GRPS card for Tmobile if you are interested. It is slow though, very slow.

Are you looking for a HSPA card since you have a sim card? Do you already have service?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: SpazzyChicken
I have a GRPS card for Tmobile if you are interested. It is slow though, very slow.

is GRPS service the fastest Tmobile currently has deployed?

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002
I think that they have HSPA in certian markets, but I'm not sure. I know grps works nationally for them though.

zombie, if you want the card I have, pm me and I'll send it to you as an early Christmas present :) . I don't need or use it at all anymore.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
i don't think the pc cards have sim cards, i don't see how you can take them apart

maybe you just want a cell phone with a usb connection to a laptop to get internet on your laptop

hmmm I thought it works like this: sim card inserted to PC card, then pc card connected to laptop or to router that supports it

This is not in the US though (south east asia) so maybe it is slightly different

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002

Are you looking for a HSPA card since you have a sim card? Do you already have service?

yes I already have service. The carrier here also sells the PC card (I think its called UMTS or HSDPA) but the card that they have here is sucky (capped at 384kbps, while the 3g wireless network is capable of more than 2 Mbps)

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: z0mb13

hmmm I thought it works like this: sim card inserted to PC card, then pc card connected to laptop or to router that supports it

This is not in the US though (south east asia) so maybe it is slightly different

You're right about how it works. There's a sim card slot on the side of the card, and you can push a small button and the sim pops out.

I actually have a Sierra Wireless 860 card that I need to sell, as I bought a laptop with built in HSDPA, but it looks like it's only compatible with Cingular.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002

EDGE is the fastest that T-Mobile has deployed (in this country), and it's not exactly 3g. Cingular is currently rolling out UMTS/HSDPA rapidly, and that's a true 3g network.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: DeviousTrap

EDGE is the fastest that T-Mobile has deployed (in this country), and it's not exactly 3g. Cingular is currently rolling out UMTS/HSDPA rapidly, and that's a true 3g network.

evdo on Verizon is pretty fast too. I usually get about 500kbps with it...

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
evdo for sprint is really fast. i think we (city of chicago) are getting an upgrade so we can achieve greater than 400kpbs...

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002

You're right about how it works. There's a sim card slot on the side of the card, and you can push a small button and the sim pops out.

I actually have a Sierra Wireless 860 card that I need to sell, as I bought a laptop with built in HSDPA, but it looks like it's only compatible with Cingular.

how is it only compatible with cingular? is it "locked" like cingular cellphones?

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002

what is the difference between UMTS and HSDPA? are they just different protocols?

in my country they just rolled out a true 3g network.. I can use vid calls on my phone. They have a internet plan where I can get more than 2 Mbps but I need a PC card for that...

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002

how is it only compatible with cingular? is it "locked" like cingular cellphones?

I'm not sure if it's locked, but it only operates on the 850 and 1900Mhz frequencies, which are used only in the US. I look at Sierra Wireless's site and you'd need the 875 card (or a 850 card, which only supports European frequencies), and you'll need some luck to find one.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002

I'm not sure if it's locked, but it only operates on the 850 and 1900Mhz frequencies, which are used only in the US. I look at Sierra Wireless's site and you'd need the 875 card (or a 850 card, which only supports European frequencies), and you'll need some luck to find one.

crap you are right.. damn so I need to buy the card in Asia.

Do you know anything about the router? I dont think it matters where I buy the router, as long as it takes in the PC card, correct? also the damn routers are still $$$... more than $300 for one :(

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002

Do you know anything about the router? I dont think it matters where I buy the router, as long as it takes in the PC card, correct? also the damn routers are still $$$... more than $300 for one :(

Are you going to put a 3G pc-card in a router to spread the access to a bunch of computers? That's the first time I've ever heard of someone doing that.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002

Are you going to put a 3G pc-card in a router to spread the access to a bunch of computers? That's the first time I've ever heard of someone doing that.

yes that is the plan. 3g internet is actually fastest and cheapest here. Cable modem and DSL here simply SUCKS.

I actually dont need a router, but if I dont use one I need to have a computer that is constantly on so other computers can get on the internet.

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
I'm looking for a similar solution. I have a Cingular 3G PCIMA card for my laptop. I'd like to use this card on my towers in my house. I've looked for a female PCIMA slot that I could attach to a mobo in a tower at home. No luck. Anyone got any ideas?

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: uberman
I'm looking for a similar solution. I have a Cingular 3G PCIMA card for my laptop. I'd like to use this card on my towers in my house. I've looked for a female PCIMA slot that I could attach to a mobo in a tower at home. No luck. Anyone got any ideas?

Just grab one of these, there are tons of them on eBay for around that price.