When's Nvidia's next card coming out?

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Any idea approximately what time? Any clues as to specs/pricing? Thanks.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
from what i understand there will be new cards out from nvidia by the christmas season, catch is that while they might get called something else they will realy just be more gefroce4 ti and mx cards, wich are realy just geforce3 and geforce2 chips with slightly higher clock speeds and faster memory with new names to make them more atractive to consumers. as for the nv-30 its all realy speculation but my guess is they are hopeing actualy be able to fabricate the chip by christmas eve and assumeing they pull that off will work no stop to get the thing out sometime in february. i realy doubt we will see the nv30 before that, quite possably untell well after considering one never can tell the troubles that come with a new chip design i doubt that the guys at nvidia could say any beter than we can.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
TSMC recently announced that it was going to further cut back on .13mu production as the yields are so low and that's not where the money is. This can only hurt nVidia. If NV30 does make it out in time for Xmas, you can bet it will cost $400-500. By then, the R9700 should be down to around $250-300, and the the R9500 might even be out to grab the $150-$200 spot.

Aug 15, 2002
The Nvidia card can only be sold at $400-500 if it significantly outperforms the Radeon 9700 (assuming Ati gets all driver issues fixed by then).

At the moment Nvidia plans to release NV30 before/around Christmas (samples to be availabe for testers in November), the design is done and has been taped out. However, the 13ns process of TSMC remains to be a risk, but I am pretty sure, that big Nvidia is closely monitoring this.

It is difficult to judge all the difficulties Nvidia has to manage, in order to get this card into mass production, therefore I am not saying that december is a sure bet . However we should not forget, that we are talking about the market leader for PC video cards. Delays like the one of the NV30 have also happened to Intel and they are still where they are. For the time being let us enjoy the competition Ati is bringing to the video card market. I really appreciate the new Radeon 9700 and the benefits it brings for us end-users (to all the fanboys out there, even if you do not like the Ati Radeon, at least it made the TI4600 prices decrease massively).

Cheers
Speedy

Shah4u

Sep 15, 2002
Well when it is coming PLz let me know i will surely be looking forward to bench mark that card

Hey i will buy it.(hehehehe)

I am a rich guy.(hehehehe)

Well let me know when it arive

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: SpeedyGonzalesAt the moment Nvidia plans to release NV30 before/around Christmas (samples to be availabe for testers in November), the design is done and has been taped out.

are you sure it taped out? i have seen no anouncement from nvidia and im sure they would be happy to brag about it if they did manage to pull it off. last offical statment i heard about it was july 30th and the final awnser was no after trying to avoid the question twice. you can hear the slimy bastard spew rederic on it here.

so does anyone have any more current info on the nv30? specificly when it taped out in the off chance that it actualy has.

edit: just noticed anand's aritcle dated 8/14 says it taped out last week, funny not only does he give an improper definition for tape out but also i cant find that info anywere else though.

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
Maybe some of that money spent on grammar/english or typing lessons would be a wiser choice;) Benchmark is one word. Arrive has two r's.

Aug 15, 2002
@Snowman

I quickly checked some common hardware sites, but could not find anything about this news (ok, I did not invest more than 10 minutes). I am not sure if I read it anywhere else than on Anandtech. Maybe other people remember something ?

Cheers
Speedy

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
Originally posted by: SpeedyGonzales

edit: just noticed anand's aritcle dated 8/14 says it taped out last week, funny not only does he give an improper definition for tape out but also i cant find that info anywere else though.

Regardless of Anand's improper wording, the part did tape out in early August.

nVidia (nor any other companies) "brag" about tape-out, mainly because the "A0" doesn't always make it to production. In fact, nVidia is one of the few companies which really nails their spins such that they don't need to respin or change metal for production.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
i understand that tapeing out my no means isures the design is final but like you said nvidia does have a nack for makeing it work the first time. i supose brag wasn't realy the right word its just that usauly when such an antisipated new chip as the nv30 tapes out you hear about it at all the major news sites and not just breifly mentioned in an article on one wich is why i am doubtful of weather the information is true. also nvidia stock is realy hurting and anouncing that their new flagship is up to hit silicon would defnatly benift them in their current situation, not to mention the positon that ati is putting them in with the 9xxx cards and mobel solutions offering beter price/preformance ratios. any chance you would be so kind as to explain why you are so sure the chip taped out merlocka?

ohh ya and that wasnt improper wording from what i see, he was just straight up wrong. tapeing out doesnt mean or even insure funtional silicon at all, it simply means that they have the design to the point that they are ready to spend the cash on fabracation of what they hope will be funtional silicone.