Question When you build a PC, what's the first part you usually buy?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
For some reason, I typically start out finding a deal on system memory, followed by a deal on an SSD for booting and spinny HDD for storage. After that, I'm looking for an open box deal on a motherboard.

Which item do you normally buy first, and why?

Dec 10, 2005
I usually spec something with PCPartPicker, and then just wait for the right combination of deals while also minimizing the number of transactions. I want to build, not wait around for just the right deal for each part. It helps that I'm more flexible on things like storage, RAM, and semi-flexible on motherboard and processor selections.

TLDR, there isn't really one part I buy first.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
For some reason, I typically start out finding a deal on system memory, followed by a deal on an SSD for booting and spinny HDD for storage. After that, I'm looking for an open box deal on a motherboard.

Which item do you normally buy first, and why?

Case, PSU, CPU cooler first, whenever I spot a deal. Because if something interrupts the build, these things are likely to not drop significantly in price or get behind the tech curve, and less likely to have some kind of compatibility issue.

COVID interrupted my build, and that was exactly what I was doing. I sat on those original parts for over a year until things looked better to proceed to the next step.

Then I bought CPU/MB/RAM/SSD ordered at the same time, so I could get a system up and running with all the parts together, and be in the easy return window for all these critical components.

Once I had the system up and running, then I could relax and look for a GPU, which I only got 6+ months later.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Normally I look for deals, and buy. My current build I just ordered everything from Amazon. After hearing the problems of getting open box motherboards and video cards from my former co workers, I stay away.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
GPU.

Can always drop it into the old PC right away and see immediate gains while I bargain hunt other parts.

Since I almost exclusively use my PC for gaming, it's also the keystone part that I am looking for a good deal on, so until I can get a good deal on a GPU I am not moving on the rest of the system.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Important and Priority first.

Motherboard + CPU + CPU Cooler+ Memory.

Get it put it on a Table. Connect it to spare GPU, PSU, and SDD with Win 11. Then make sure that it works and how the interface behave.

Then go a head with GPU, PSU, Case, and what ever else needed to configure it to the purposes of my functional Needs. (I do not deal with computer's hardware as a amean to boost personalty/psychological needs).

:cool:

Dec 10, 2005
I usually spec something with PCPartPicker, and then just wait for the right combination of deals while also minimizing the number of transactions. I want to build, not wait around for just the right deal for each part. It helps that I'm more flexible on things like storage, RAM, and semi-flexible on motherboard and processor selections.

TLDR, there isn't really one part I buy first.
I would add another reason to buy things around the same time point instead of waiting for the right sales for each individual part: making sure stuff works within the return periods of the respective stores I use. I don't keep things laying about to test new parts.