When will they make games this good?

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
when VR is able to push enough FPS and this level of realism and quality, then it might be possible. but not all people can handle the sensory overload of driving/riding at very high speeds, it could induce negative reactions.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
when VR is able to push enough FPS and this level of realism and quality, then it might be possible. but not all people can handle the sensory overload of driving/riding at very high speeds, it could induce negative reactions.
well I think you'd need an actual rideable bike seat and handle with motors/tilting and feedback to be able to do something like this with VR. Otherwise the disorientation and vomit come very fast.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
In due time. I remember many, MANY years ago I thought to myself what if they created a game based on WWII? Now look at what we have. Even WWI now. If you can thunk it, it will be built.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Well the graphics don't have to be perfect but the sense of speed is amazing and could be done now.
How hard would it be to just use the graphics of Forza Horizon 3 and give it a sense of speed like this?

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
If you're talking about why can't it be done now with VR, refer to the previous posts. Otherwise, there are plenty of racing games that give you a decent feel for speed and with current technology, you'll have to spend quite a bit of money, but there are people with current setups built around racing games with curved monitors surrounding them, wheels, clutch, pedals, etc.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
If you're talking about why can't it be done now with VR, refer to the previous posts. Otherwise, there are plenty of racing games that give you a decent feel for speed and with current technology, you'll have to spend quite a bit of money, but there are people with current setups built around racing games with curved monitors surrounding them, wheels, clutch, pedals, etc.

Kinda like flight siming. But in some flight siming setups they used Project Magenta to build a whole actual cockpit. I'm watching one said FS cockpit on eBay now going for the low, low price of only 55 thousand.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Well the graphics don't have to be perfect but the sense of speed is amazing and could be done now.
How hard would it be to just use the graphics of Forza Horizon 3 and give it a sense of speed like this?

I actually think Project C.A.R.S. is already better than that. I remember nailing a lap on the California Highway, and can't remember the last time my heart was pounding and hands were shaking that much in a video game. Those last few high-speed corners had me sweating.

And then there's also Dirt Rally...I would love to play this game in VR. It's white-knuckle from start to finish.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I play that game, it has its moments , its a good game but the sense of speed is just ok.

I think it has something to do with how we perceive "speed." For me - it's a sense of realism that makes the speed believable and exciting. When I play something like NFS, where it's more like being launched from a rocket, with all the wow effects and everything shaking and screaming by, I just don't get that sense.

I get more speed excitement going 60 mph in Dirt Rally than I do going 200 mph in NFS.

Of course...as John Connor mentioned, there's always the option of playing it high. ;)

But yeah....that original video you posted with the motorcycles - - if they could nail that experience, it would probably beat everything I've played for a true sense of speed. That's just insane.

Reactions: gradoman

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Let's assume in the (near) future: Graphically, VR, forcefeedback can match what you're seeing.

That'll be awesome.

You're still not going to feel the force of acceleration/deceleration.
You will not feel the wind pushing you off the back of the bike as you get into north of 120mph.
You still won't have the fear of pushing the bike hard into a corner, "Will the front tire hold or will I low-side into a wall."

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I've driven triple digits speeds before. I've never found it to feel like that NFS video.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
For a VR experience, I think speed + input latency + display latency would be a major limiting factor. Graphics can already come pretty close.

I'd like to see a relatively-giant processor core, the size of an LCD panel in a head-mounted display, sandwiched with a built-on LCD layer where the pixels are being rendered by the CPU/GPU transistors directly under them. That could seriously reduce latency. Maybe even the framebuffer could be eliminated.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
well I think you'd need an actual rideable bike seat and handle with motors/tilting and feedback to be able to do something like this with VR. Otherwise the disorientation and vomit come very fast.

That technology already exists.
(sorry, can't help it)

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013

I felt the Dirt 2/3 gave a very real feel.

The feeling of speed that the video gave, was increase by having the camera lower to the ground than the drivers eyes. It was probably on his fender or plate. As you raise the view point, things don't look as fast.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
the interesting thing is that the graphics can totally be done; a lot of things are blurred, the textures aren't in amazing detail, trees are mostly lumps with just a few trees need details on leaves (I watched just the first 4 minutes)....I think it can be.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Amazing I never seen anything like this. Looking further into this for the price you can just buy a real car :confused2:

They have similarly elaborate setups for military pilot training (for some of it anyhow). And yeah it's pretty expensive. You could probably rent a track car several times for the life of ownership for that thing.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
The sense of speed comes from the front mounted camera that's close to the ground, most racing games have multiple camera angles and can give you a similar sense of speed, although it's typically way less practical from a gaming point of view to use such awkward view points.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
They have similarly elaborate setups for military pilot training (for some of it anyhow). And yeah it's pretty expensive. You could probably rent a track car several times for the life of ownership for that thing.
Theses setups have been around for years now, but they are just now making their way around to the general public. Most CDL schools have a trailer you get into that is basically just a trucking sim and those have been around for at least 15 years. The military and aviation schools have had them even longer than that.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris