when will Nehalem processor be affordable?

Apr 30, 2008
guys i want to ask when will Nehalem processor be affordable? i mean when will i see Nehalem processors with a price tag of 150-200$?

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
When AMD has something to go up against the Nehalem processors. Why would Intel make the Core2 series obsolete when they are still able to compete with the AMDs? As long as AMD has nothing that can go up against the Nehalems, I dont think Intel will rush out any low end Nehalems as they would be going up against their Core2 lineup.

NXIL

Apr 14, 2005
Took about a year for the q6600 to go from well over $300 to less than $200. But, remember you need a whole new higher cost motherboard, and new RAM (DDR3) as well....

i920 is about $285 now....

With the economy not doing so well? May be sooner.

HTH

NXIL

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Affordable? I remember buying my AMD X2 4400+ dualcore for $600.

lol, you AMD Dual Core people and your high end chips. I had a overclocked Pentium D 805 and that thing could barely keep up with a stock X2 3800.

It was only $130 though which was like 1/3 of what the 3800 was. :)

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
guys i want to ask when will Nehalem processor be affordable? i mean when will i see Nehalem processors with a price tag of 150-200$?

2nd half of 2009, probably by late fall.

Paraguay11

Dec 24, 2008
Depends how much the global economic client continues to weaken. If we see global price disinflation and an actual global recession (negative growth worldwide) prices will continue to fall across the board until companies can justify the costs of issuing debt to increase productivity firm wide. The consumer is a very small portion of the market for cpu's, business is what matters.

NXIL

Apr 14, 2005
yup... larabee with the igp built in..
Huh?? Larrabbee is a discrete GPU. And the Nehalem IGP is not Larrabbee based.

Intel's roadmap: very confusing at best.

Larrabee: discrete GPU intended to compete with nVidia and ATI....lots of 'primitive' x86 type processors in parallel.

GPU/CPU combo:

The Havendale and Auburndale variants will contain an integrated GPU, codenamed Ironlake.
Due out in Q3 2009/Q1 2010....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N...em_(microarchitecture)

AMD "Fusion" (which implies a big thermonuclear explosion to me) is also GPU/CPU, due in 2011, apparently:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ar...shed-back-to-2011.html

GPU/CPU combo chips are going to have to be cheap to compete with the CPU/IGP northbridge combos out now, and, relatively low powered, so they don't melt....two CPU cores and a high powered GPU on one die would be tough to keep cool I would think....

N

HexiumVII

Dec 11, 2005
It looks like quite a boring 2009 for intel. Lynnfield might be nice, but it won't be out till probably second half if you look at rdmaps. What sad is notebooks won't be getting them for at least a year. It's a bit boring that notebooks will be running on the Core for the last 3 years. But a testament to how great the Core really is. I recently brought back a near decade old dinosaur Pentium 4 1.4GHz. Its quite sad how it can barely run youtube, pegged at 100% running just that. My tablet with 1.GHz ULV Core 2 runs rings around it. Anyways Lynnfield should pave the road to cheap motherboards, but i think they days of 4GB of nice O/Cing Ram for c$20 will take a while to come back.