When will Intel develop a higher speed interconnect between CPU and GPU?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Intel is quite happy to sell 4 core E5-16xxv3's (quad-channel memory controller, 40 PCIe lanes and all) at about the same price as a 4790K. That's what you get for loosing the IGP.

They only do that because that's what makes it competitive on the market its aimed for. If that comes to Desktops pricing will be determined by how much competition there is and how much demand there is.

The fact that silicon that costs $20 to make and R&D fully paid off by the people who actually use it significantly contributes to the price is the argument extremely frequently suggested - and also incorrect.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
They only do that because that's what makes it competitive on the market its aimed for. If that comes to Desktops pricing will be determined by how much competition there is and how much demand there is.

Coincidently, the "market" for such a chip is sitting right here. As things stand, I'd happily trade two cores for more PCIe lanes (compared to the 5820K). But that is only because it would fit my usage pattern. Others prefer the faster clocked cores of Devils Canyon f.x.

The fact that silicon that costs $20 to make and R&D fully paid off by the people who actually use it significantly contributes to the price is the argument extremely frequently suggested - and also incorrect.

I think you misunderstood. Perhaps that was bad wording on my part, so let me try again. That's what I get out of loosing a non-used IGP. A trade-off I'm happy to make. I can't speak for anyone else, of course.