Discussion When was the last time you used Kickstarter?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm curious, when was the last time you supported a project on Kickstarter? I remember this site being a kinda cool way to fund new projects a few years ago. Recently, it seems that a lot of their recent projects have been total scams where the project creator just ran off with the pledge money after collecting it.

I know that this happened to me on some rechargeable batteries that I "bought" from the site and never received. I'm not including a link, though, because the mods seem to disapprove of that sort of thing. Google it if you're really curious.

Anyway, I'm curious if you guys had a similar experience.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've only been outright scammed once.
Seems like September was my most recent one. Looks like I've backed 8 projects this year, and 47 in total.

And I backed 5 that didn't fund, so I guess 53 total?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I've only been outright scammed once.
Seems like September was my most recent one. Looks like I've backed 8 projects this year, and 47 in total.

And I backed 5 that didn't fund, so I guess 53 total?

Anything cool that actually worked out that you funded?

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I contributed to one quite a long time ago for a portable speaker. It went off relatively well and wasn't very far behind schedule and actually was pretty high quality. It ended up having a few quality issues (phone needed to be closer to speaker than expected for bluetooth, speakers blew out recently).

I haven't contributed to anything else but haven't checked in years.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Anything cool that actually worked out that you funded?
They've pretty much all delivered what was expected! Of course, it's all almost always later than planned, but meh.
It's a lot of video content, music, a couple books, some nerdy polyhedral dice, video games...

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I did the Kickstarters for the Pine64 (a development board kinda like the Raspberry Pi), the Exploding Kittens card game, and the Planetary Annihilation PC game. Those all went well. It seems that the scams where people run off with the pledge money are becoming more frequent, though. I don't think that I'd ever pledge to another project that doesn't already have a track record of prior successes.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Backed the Creality CR6 SE printer on Kickstarter last year. Got it with no issues and it has been a great printer.

Along similar lines, I backed the Haslab Razor Crest late last year and shipping has been delayed to spring of 2022.

Last edited: