When was the last time a PC game was released that had outstanding audio...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Ive had a thing for Final Fantasy games for along time.

One of the things that always strikes me if the music in the games.
It works incredibly well, its like the old disney movies used to be.

I played FFXI for along time, and listening to the differnt zones,
music themes makes me feel all nostalgic about the game.

**also:

feel that music is important for setting a atmosphere in games.
However alot of cheesey sound effects and voice acting is just wasted $.

Id rather they spend more $ on the story writers for the game, and just have to read the dialog, if it comes down to lousy short voice acting vs haveing to read a good writen story.

Last edited:

pw38

Apr 21, 2010
Skyrim has an amazing score.

The rest of the audio is meh, at best.

I have to disagree with your second statement. I think the overall sound quality in Skyrim is damned impressive. Maybe because I play with a full Klipsch Reference setup with a higher-end Denon receiver but still, I'm always impressed by it.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
BF3 is superb in that regard. You really get a sense of space and proximity with the sounds that I really don't think I've experienced in any other game to the same extent.

I think Crysis 2 has some of the best weapon sounds....some better than BF3. The Jackall shotgun is glorious, as is the Hammer handgun.

The original Crysis had some of the best movement noise. The sound transitions from walking on sand to forest floor to hard surface are amazingly realistic (there is a sense of randomness to the step noises as well....it sounds like there are several variations for each surface, as opposed to just one step noise repeated over and over, like so many other games).

I think audio design is one area where games still have a lot of possible improvement to be made. It isn't just about the soundtrack.

Someone mentioned Mirror's Edge - I loved everything about that game. Incredible art direction and great audio design as well. I really wish DICE would find a way to come out with a sequel.....it would be amazing in Frostbyte2.

I really like a lot of the score in Deus Ex: HR.

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
I played a lot of 64 man metro map on BF3 which I actually found fun. The CONSTANT explosions and gunfire in those tight quarters coming out of a big living room 5.1 setup is just insane.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
I liked the music from the fallout series. The voice acting is pretty bad but that old music just puts my brain in fallout mode.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Ultima 6 only had music as digital audio, the sound effects were still coming from the PC speaker. Even still, the music of the game is very distinctive and fitting and perhaps because it was one of the first games I played with sound card support I will always remember it. I guess it was actually midi rather than digitized audio, but at the time it sounded incredible, compared to the primitive PC-speaker sounds and music of other games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3eXHp4t3Zw&feature=related

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I'd have to play Battlefield 3 to see what the audio is like. Does anyone know format its audio is in?

Even though it's really old and wasn't a PC game, Super Castlevania IV was an audio masterpiece both from a technical and artistic/creative standpoint. The stereo motion was both creative and technically impressive for its time as well as the fact that a lot of the NES games' tunes were given new life (creative use of the then-new Super NES audio hardware). Of course, Super Castlevania IV was a remake but it was one of the best remakes ever that I can think of. It would be awesome to one day see a Castlevania III remake on the PC and not on a Nintendo console (since the Super NES will always be the only Nintendo console that was of decent tech quality at release).

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Dragon Age music has been stuck in my head for like a week.

Liked DoW2 as well.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Deus Ex: HR

Yes! The sound help create a great cyberpunk atmosphere in deus ex. Maybe a bit repetitive, but overall I really like it.

The score in dawn of war 2 is also suitably epic. You can get it in mp3 form for free from the steam page actually.

Music in Civilization 4 works really well. Haven't played 5 so don't know how that is

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Sonic CD remake doesn't have lossless music and that's really shitty IMO. The size of the game is well less than the original Sega CD disc. I just bought it off of steam, although not for the music. The original Japanese release is better just because it's audio is lossless which I have ripped to my PC in FLAC (I bought the disc off of eBay a few years ago). The lyrics (toot toot sonic warrior) are also missing in the intro which sucks. I wasn't that fascinated by it having a different FOV.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
I agree with BFBC2. The sound really is part of the gameplay as well.
I have BF3 on order, so we will see.
First thing I thought of when I saw this thread title was BF Vietnam, as in the original from 2003. I loved the use of REAL songs in the load screens while you wait, and you could also play them in game in vehicles, or load your own soundtrack to play in the vehicles radios. Great ideas they lost somehow in the subsequent BFs. They also never sorted out teamspeak (as in automatic for all who play) after BF2, which seriously ruined the majority of the game for me and makes me irritated most times I play, even still. Hurriedly trying to type tips in while I get shot or somesuch. SUCKS!

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
First thing I thought of when I saw this thread title was BF Vietnam, as in the original from 2003. I loved the use of REAL songs in the load screens while you wait, and you could also play them in game in vehicles, or load your own soundtrack to play in the vehicles radios. Great ideas they lost somehow in the subsequent BFs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think BC2: Vietnam did this too. I recall getting into a US chopper and hearing some 60's rock on the radio.

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
I know it is not pc game but Nier for 360 and pos3 got to have one of the most artistic game ost I have heard in my 31 years of lifetime

Arkadrel: I also vote for Empyreal Paradox, La'Loff Amphitheater, Smash! A Malevolent Menace and Shadow ;lord as some super kick ass ost

Last edited:

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Two games with outstanding audio ImO... STALKER.... and Fallout 3, New Vegas.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
SW;TOR has great sounds and music... sure most of it is ripped from the movies, but they had great sounds and music too though.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I'm actually considering moving away from my Club3D Theatron Agrippa 7.1 DTS and onto a more modern sound card. So tough to find qualitative information on them these days.