when to drink a protein shake, and why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Bacardi151

so if i do both exercises....cardio and weight lifting, what should i do first? the cardio or the weight lifting? and doing both, should i still eat something high in protein and a minimal number of carbs? i think this is the last thing i'll need to know before i jump into this exercise program :]

Most people do weights first followed by cardio. However lots of folks may do something like 5 minutes walking and 5 minutes jogging on a treadmill before the weights as a warmup.
You want to do the weights when you have some carbs therefore energy in you. So the theory goes by the time you are done with anaerobic (weight lifiting) portion you should have depleted much of your carb supply. Then when you hit the aerobic excercise you are burning more of the stored fat as opposed to any recently ingested carbs.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: Babbles
After a workout, does not matter if you are cutting or bulking, you want to have a post workout meal and a protein shake is perfect for this. A lot of people complicate the matter by adding dextrose to it due to the insulin spike, but I would not worry about it.

It is very important to have some food in you after you work out. Your muscles need the food to rebuild, even if you are trying to lose weight you still got to feed those growing muscles of yours.

Before I hit the gym, I eat some fat free cottage cheese and some oatmeal. Oatmeal is your friend, learn to love it. If you are trying to lose fat but are doing a weight session, you need some carbs in you for fuel. If you are doing just cardio, then an empty stomach would probably be better.
Don't do weights on an empty stomach, that is not fun.

I hate oatmeal in spite of really trying to like the stuff.I do however like cottage cheese and eat a lot of it.I've also started having a small glass of juice after working out and following it up with protein per the SO's advice. I'm trying to cut fat while building some muscle.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I jazz up the oatmeal by adding in a pinch of salt, a bit of cinnamon (not cinnamon sugar!!) with a packet or two of Splenda.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Rudee
Originally posted by: Nebor
A quick search of the page did not find the word 'semen.' I am quite suprised.

Apparently semen is high in protein, although I find that hard to swallow. ;)

*THunderous Applause after the audience was in awe for about 5hours*