when to drink a protein shake, and why?

Bacardi151

Dec 15, 2003
as the topic asks...are you suppose to drink a protein shake after a workout? and if so, why is that? and what should i eat before working out?

hope to hear from somebody soon :]

thx in advance

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Protein is used for muscle production & repair, so you might want to do it before to promote growth or after to help repair after a rough workout.

95SS

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003
I usually eat fruit before a workout, along with a good multi-vitamin. After is when I do the protein thing, be it a shake or chicken/fish. For me, going to the gym with a full stomach is a bad idea, since it could wind up all over the floor, especially on leg days.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Because the body needs roughly 30 grams of protein like 5 times a day :Q I dunno why, and that is just hearsay anyways.

Bacardi151

Dec 15, 2003
Originally posted by: bradruth
Protein is used for muscle production & repair, so you might want to do it before to promote growth or after to help repair after a rough workout.

i'm not trying to promote muscle growth, i'm trying to lose weight, so would i have to reverse this and drink it after a workout?

Originally posted by: TallBill
Because the body needs roughly 30 grams of protein like 5 times a day :Q I dunno why, and that is just hearsay anyways.

no i dont mean why you should drink one, but why would you have to drink one before or after, what's the logic behind it, i want to follow a exercise program so thats why i'm asking.

btw, how much protein should a person consume? a person that's 6'1 and 220lbs

bigredguy

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Bacardi151
as the topic asks...are you suppose to drink a protein shake after a workout? and if so, why is that? and what should i eat before working out?

hope to hear from somebody soon :]

thx in advance

someone i talked to once said right before bed, when your body can actually use it. I dunno...

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Its supposed to be staggered throughout the day, but after a workout is best because thats when its needed most.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

i'm not trying to promote muscle growth, i'm trying to lose weight, so would i have to reverse this and drink it after a workout?

Well that depends on your workout. If you're doing weightlifting, then it might not be a bad idea. If you're focusing on cardio and stuff like that it's probably not necessary.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
You should drink a protein shake because protein = good for you. I know, that's not what you were asking.

Peak stress response in your muscles (i.e. peak building) kicks in for upto an hour or two after intense resistance training. If the amino acid level in your blood is above your anabolic threshold (which typically happens if you taken a good dose of at least 25-30 grams of quality protein) then the stress response will operate at peak efficiency.

Another way of looking at it is during the peak response your amino acid (AA) consumption is a high level...if your blood AA concentration drops behold a lower threshold (the catabolic threshold) then your body will break down tissue protein in your body to maintain your blood AA level at a minimum amount, if possible...so your robbing peter to pay paul, so to speak...this is not good as it wastes some of the effort you put into working out in the first place.

For maximum muscle gain, it is ideal to try to keep your body out of a catabolic state all day (including during the night) and in an anabolic state as much as possible.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

well if you actually work out enough and in a way that actually triggers muscle production and repair in the first place;) otherwise ur just eating:p

Bacardi151

Dec 15, 2003
i'll be doing a combination of workout,

cardio (jogging) , then i will be doing some "weight lifting"

im trying to follow the atkins diet, high protein, low carbs.

so what i'm wondering is what i should eat before an exercise, i dont have a good grasp of this atkin diet so far, but i know your'e suppose to use the "secondary" fuel to convert to energy....1st one being carbs, and 2nd being fat.....would that mean i should eat less carbs before a workout?

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I could of swore we just had the same question asked on this forum a short while ago. Anyway, the best time for protein is after a workout. But really, you can't go wrong giving yourself protein anytime throughout the day.

Bacardi151

Dec 15, 2003
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
You should drink a protein shake because protein = good for you. I know, that's not what you were asking.

Peak stress response in your muscles (i.e. peak building) kicks in for upto an hour or two after intense resistance training. If the amino acid level in your blood is above your anabolic threshold (which typically happens if you taken a good dose of at least 25-30 grams of quality protein) then the stress response will operate at peak efficiency.

Another way of looking at it is during the peak response your amino acid (AA) consumption is a high level...if your blood AA concentration drops behold a lower threshold (the catabolic threshold) then your body will break down tissue protein in your body to maintain your blood AA level at a minimum amount, if possible...so your robbing peter to pay paul, so to speak...this is not good as it wastes some of the effort you put into working out in the first place.

For maximum muscle gain, it is ideal to try to keep your body out of a catabolic state all day (including during the night) and in an anabolic state as much as possible.

heh, sorry i dont really understand what you're trying to say :x all those terms makes me confused. i'll try to re-read it again.....but if it does answer my question about when to drink the protein shake, before or after. which one would it be? i'm hearing after from several ppl (not necessarily from this forum) and from websites....so i'm leaning that its after? and maybe that's what you're saying too?

Bacardi151

Dec 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Rudee
I could of swore we just had the same question asked on this forum a short while ago. Anyway, the best time for protein is after a workout. But really, you can't go wrong giving yourself protein anytime throughout the day.

hehe yeah i guess not, but i will be eating "real" meals before the work out, and i'm wondering what kind of meals? meals that are rich in protein? because i need to cut down on carbs right? so when i exercise it will burn the fat too and not just the carbs that i've consumed. but ok im getting a clearer picture of when to drink the protein shake. this is pretty helpful.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

heh, sorry i dont really understand what you're trying to say :x all those terms makes me confused. i'll try to re-read it again.....but if it does answer my question about when to drink the protein shake, before or after. which one would it be? i'm hearing after from several ppl (not necessarily from this forum) and from websites....so i'm leaning that its after? and maybe that's what you're saying too?

Don't get hung up on specific times to take protein, just ensure you get it adequate protein throughout the day. You can't go wrong that way.

Bacardi151

Dec 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Rudee

Don't get hung up on specific times to take protein, just ensure you get it adequate protein throughout the day. You can't go wrong that way.

yeah, i think i got it figured out though.

but how much protein would i approximately need? i weigh in at 220lbs. i saw this calorie calculator. and i'm a bit skeptical about the results it gave me.....said i needed 3000 calories...250 g of protein and 250 g of carbs.....that sounds too crazy for me.....i'm already big i dont need to gain muscle, i just wanna lose that excessive fat i've built up from all the pasta i've eaten without working out in the past.

PS

you're right i found the other topic on when to take the protein shake, that is why i'm convinced that i should try doing it after workout and see how it goes :]

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
but how much protein would i approximately need? i weigh in at 220lbs. i saw this calorie calculator. and i'm a bit skeptical about the results it gave me.....said i needed 3000 calories...250 g of protein and 250 g of carbs.....that sounds too crazy for me.....i'm already big i dont need to gain muscle, i just wanna lose that excessive fat i've built up from all the pasta i've eaten without working out in the past.

PS

you're right i found the other topic on when to take the protein shake, that is why i'm convinced that i should try doing it after workout and see how it goes :]

Once again, don't get hung up on details such as times and numbers. These kinds of fine details are for elite athletes. Just try to get a serving of protein with each meal. Work up to 5 small meals a day. Once your results start to diminish, then you can tweak to adjust serving sizes, frequencies, etc. Just try to eat heathy and clean. It's not rocket science.

I also want to mention that a lot of protein requirement formulas incorrectly base your required daily intake on total bodyweight. This is incorrect. This should be based on "lean" bodyweight not total bodyweight. Just because a person is obese it doesn't mean his protein requirements should be proportionately higher.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
SO what foods are high in protein?

<--complete newbie at this....

Yesterday after a workout, I had rice&beans, and corn in a can. I also had Carrots and celery with ranch dressing.

How was that?

I usually stick to sandwhiches...:( ALL THE TIME.....for luch, and sometimes for dinner...but 7grain bread..not White(Unless it has it in there which I think it doesn't)
Also, I put a lot of Romain Lettuce, some tomtatoes, and Muster Cheese. The only spread I use is musturd.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
After a workout, does not matter if you are cutting or bulking, you want to have a post workout meal and a protein shake is perfect for this. A lot of people complicate the matter by adding dextrose to it due to the insulin spike, but I would not worry about it.

It is very important to have some food in you after you work out. Your muscles need the food to rebuild, even if you are trying to lose weight you still got to feed those growing muscles of yours.

Before I hit the gym, I eat some fat free cottage cheese and some oatmeal. Oatmeal is your friend, learn to love it. If you are trying to lose fat but are doing a weight session, you need some carbs in you for fuel. If you are doing just cardio, then an empty stomach would probably be better.
Don't do weights on an empty stomach, that is not fun.

Bacardi151

Dec 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
SO what foods are high in protein?

<--complete newbie at this....

Yesterday after a workout, I had rice&beans, and corn in a can. I also had Carrots and celery with ranch dressing.

How was that?

I usually stick to sandwhiches...:( ALL THE TIME.....for luch, and sometimes for dinner...but 7grain bread..not White(Unless it has it in there which I think it doesn't)
Also, I put a lot of Romain Lettuce, some tomtatoes, and Muster Cheese. The only spread I use is musturd.

high in protein would be (from what i know) : meat (chicken, fish...pork and beef), cheese, eggs, mushrooms?, veggies....

also..i thought rice and beans was high in carbs...although brown rice is "ok" carbs....i also understand that you can't totally eliminate carbs, so my goal is to minimize it to as much as i can.

Bacardi151

Dec 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Babbles
After a workout, does not matter if you are cutting or bulking, you want to have a post workout meal and a protein shake is perfect for this. A lot of people complicate the matter by adding dextrose to it due to the insulin spike, but I would not worry about it.

It is very important to have some food in you after you work out. Your muscles need the food to rebuild, even if you are trying to lose weight you still got to feed those growing muscles of yours.

Before I hit the gym, I eat some fat free cottage cheese and some oatmeal. Oatmeal is your friend, learn to love it. If you are trying to lose fat but are doing a weight session, you need some carbs in you for fuel. If you are doing just cardio, then an empty stomach would probably be better.
Don't do weights on an empty stomach, that is not fun.

so if i do both exercises....cardio and weight lifting, what should i do first? the cardio or the weight lifting? and doing both, should i still eat something high in protein and a minimal number of carbs? i think this is the last thing i'll need to know before i jump into this exercise program :]

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001

All he's basically saying is this: if you don't eat right after you workout, your body will breakdown the precious muscle you were trying to gain in the first place in order to feed itself.

dfi

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
A quick search of the page did not find the word 'semen.' I am quite suprised.

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
Btw, I really don't think you should worry about any of this right now. Make sure you get in the habit of going to the gym regularly. While you're there, work hard. I would imagine that overwhelming yourself with additional tasks associated with working out will only make it harder to workout. Things like "well, I forgot to bring my protein shake today so I better not work to prevent my glucose levels from dropping too much and causing a catabolic effect on my muscle", or "I don't think I should workout too hard today because I didn't have time to eat my pre-workout power meal", or "gee I don't think I creatine loaded properly, I better wait another week before I start my workout" might just take you back to square one.

dfi

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Nebor
A quick search of the page did not find the word 'semen.' I am quite suprised.

Apparently semen is high in protein, although I find that hard to swallow. ;)