When they say "Kurds" are they referring to Kuwait?

nergee

Jan 25, 2000
Hopefully they will be a great help to the coalition when the
Northern Front opens up.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
People from Kuwait are referred to as Kuwaitis. Kurds are the people from Kurdistan, a region that covers part of northern Iraq, Iran, and Turkey. Kurdistan is not a nation, but it does have significant political autonomy within Iraq. The Kurds are an ethnic group.

J5im8yo

Nov 8, 2002
Yea Kurds is an ethnicity group and during the Perisan Gulf war they helped the Americans fight Saddam. When the Americans receive orders to stop their operation they left the Kurds. I believe after the US departure the Kurds were massacred with chemical weapon by Saddam as a retaliation.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Actually the US screwing over the Kurds goes back to the 1970's. We were backing the Shah of Iran at the time in a conflict against Iraq and together with Iran we convinced the Kurds to come into the fray so that Iraq had to worry about a northern front. Iran sold out, they ceased hostilities for some concessions over shipping lanes or maybe a port, I forgot the details. When they pulled out we pulled out too and the Kurds were left on their own. With nobody left to fight Iraq turned their attention north and the Kurds with horses were facing a modern army with tanks. Needless to say, it didn't go well for their side.

Infra

Jul 31, 2000
Correction to J5im8yo's post: The kurd massacre took place in the late 1980's in Northen Iraq, a town called Halabja lost 5000 lives in one day. Saddam just wanted to test his new chemical stuff I guess..